It's been 3+ weeks since it was released, what are your thoughts on Dance of Death?

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
I like it a lot, I think this one is better than Brave New World, because:

- dickinson / smith seem more involved with the band
- less progressive stuff, and the prog it does have is excellent, the title track is a work of art, and the journeyman is quite an interesting song, not the maiden we're used too but very good, it shows they can still experiment with different sounds and styles
- great lyrics, back to the basics, and the choruses are not repetitive
- the whole album feels related (both lyrics and music) without it been a concept album

Overall I think it's a great album, it shows that Maiden is still going strong after 23+ years of recording.

UP THE IRONS!!!

Not sure if I like it better than BNW, but it's definitely an excellent album, save for "Wildest Dreams" maybe. They try some new ideas musically, and they actually make use of having three guitarists this time. Thumbs up.

Jreg said:
and they actually make use of having three guitarists this time. Thumbs up.
Yes they do, that's great because most songs have solos that showcase 3 completely different styles of playing, it sounds really cool.

I think it's an excellent album....much better than "Brave New World," and definitely the best thing they've done since "Seventh Son." My favorite track off the album right now is probably "Paschendale." Traditional Maiden, with that epic, grandiose feel to it, and yet after 28 years, they still manage to sound original.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
I think it's an excellent album....much better than "Brave New World," and definitely the best thing they've done since "Seventh Son." My favorite track off the album right now is probably "Paschendale." Traditional Maiden, with that epic, grandiose feel to it, and yet after 28 years, they still manage to sound original.
Totally agree, except that my favorite song so far is Dance of Death

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I think its great, and I have to agree, it is the best piece of music they have released since Seventh Son.