Your views on Dance Of Death?

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
At first I didn't like this album and thought it was Maiden running out of quality ideas and just recording the first thing which came to their head but now I have listened to it a lot I think it's one of Maiden's best albums.

The album shows Maiden in a varied form throughout the album (some songs can be happy and jolly, others can be sad and depressing, others can be really heavy, others can be soft & mellow e.t.c.) The album contains 3 epics, one of which being one of the greatest Maiden songs ever which uses every important aspect of music from songwriting to dynamics to musicianship and another one of those epics shows off Maiden in acoustic style.

No More Lies tries out new ideas which work out well and focuses more on the heavy sound.

Wildest Dreams is a great opening track which gives a slight taste of what's to come. Rainmaker is building on that sound and then the album begins.

This is Maiden at their best, we're seeing them expand on quality ideas and think of new ideas while maintaining the quality Maiden sound/songwriting and quality musicianship.

I'm really tired of hearing the same three-chord progression and recycled ideas in every song. Even when they do try something new it's so buried in Maiden tradition that it's hard to stomach.

Caeros said:
I'm really tired of hearing the same three-chord progression and recycled ideas in every song. Even when they do try something new it's so buried in Maiden tradition that it's hard to stomach.

You are wrong.

The dynamics are much more apparent in DOD. The new ideas have strengthened the traditional Maiden sound and taken it forward.

Profånity said:
You are wrong.

The dynamics are much more apparent in DOD. The new ideas have strengthened the traditional Maiden sound and taken it forward.
I'll have to disagree with that. Every song on the album reminds me of something else I've heard before. Especially Paschendale, which is Heaven Can Wait rearranged with orchestral parts and a tapping intro. And No More Lies, a repetitive three-chord borefest in the vein of The Clansman. The only song that sounds even remotely "different" to me is Rainmaker, and that's still got the three chord thing going on. A band can stay true to it's own style without stagnating, it just seems like Maiden is the one that can't.

If people want to hear complicated chord structures then Metal isn't the right sort of music for them. If you want complicated chord structures then you will be better off listening to Jazz Guitar or Classical Guitar music.

Profånity said:
If people want to hear complicated chord structures then Metal isn't the right sort of music for them. If you want complicated chord structures then you will be better off listening to Jazz Guitar or Classical Guitar music.
Well, no shit. But that stuff ain't heavy! :loco:

Profånity said:
They did with The X Factor.
Same style different vibe. There are many Maiden elements to the music, just different flavor. Kinda like the difference between Killers and No Prayer. Same style of music. Just .... different ;)

^ Yeah I agree. It's like a theme for each CD and they do a great job of it and they don't minus any metal elements like most bands do when they try to change their style.

Profanity said:
Oh shit. That's not good news for me...

Keith_Sweat said:
Maiden died in 88.. deal with it

I find Seventh Son to be a borefest. I get bored of the story by Can I Play With Madness. The keyboards make it sound so none Maiden.

I know people will never believe that No Prayer For The Dying was a good album but what's wrong with the different ideas? They certainly don't sound boring like they did on Seventh Son. We all know how good The X Factor was and yes I admit that Virtual XI and Brave New World were nothing new or special but Maiden have moved upwards with Dance Of Death. They've brought in acoustics, symphony and have kept the well known and loved Maiden sound.

Dance Of Death proves that Maiden are getting better, I can't wait to see how good their next album will be.