what are the benefits of a 10 string guitar?

livingtodie

Mar 24, 2004
I recently found out the existence of a 10-string guitar.
I heard that it gives you a more chorus-type sound
or something to that nature.
I was wondering what it could do and what its capable of.
Is it good for creating heavy sounds for metal?

as in the bc rich type 10 strings? i imagine the sound would be similar to normal 12 strings, but as i remember the high strings dont have the octaves, possibly for soloing purposes
~gR~

There mainly made to play muti Cords, leading to high end Classical theory and old Latin/ egyptian solos/riffs. When i was younger a man came to my Middle school and played a 12 string Guitar like it was a token from God. Not by any means a good Metal idea. I play a 7 string Bass, but i dont Use my C & F when i'm playing Low Rythm riffs. I just a 4 string for metal playing because i'm affraid to break my Conklin's Strings ($50.00 a pair), so i just play the 4 stringer unless the B is needed, or D.

genocide roach said:
as in the bc rich type 10 strings? i imagine the sound would be similar to normal 12 strings, but as i remember the high strings dont have the octaves, possibly for soloing purposes
~gR~
I thought it was the low E and A strings that didn't have octaves?

As previously mentioned though, assuming this is the B.C. Rich type 10 string, the other 4 are just octaves. That isn't to say you couldn't tune them to 3rds or 5ths or something to fuck around with, but the standard is octaves.

Heh, it would make more sense to not octave the two low strings. I imagine that would sound muddy as all fuck distorted, though octaves on the higher strings might make for interesting effects on lead work...

i havnt physically seen a bc rich 10 string, so i can just squint and look at the pictures really close. youre probably right though

however i think the low end with octave strings sounds really nice. it sorta brings out the lower note and makes it really full and bold. it also makes it a bit brighter.

there is a new trend to make 8 string basses with the octave strings and it sounds brilliant with the octave strings. one of my next purchases will be a dean rhapsody 8 string w/ bubinga top (makes a huge difference in the sound. adds alot of punch and clarity)
~gR~

thankyou erik, that is what i ment. both dean and esp are trying to push them right now. i think schecter has a new one as well
~gR~