what are the odds opeth will open for celtic frost

cabeza de vaca said:
Your an ass. He was wearing a Celtic Frost at the Auckland show last month, his band covered a song of theirs for a tribute album, and Mike has mentioned them as somewhat of an influence in various interviews. I dont weather your stupid, or your just trolling, but going by your previous posts i would go with the stupid option.
piece of trivia: mike owned oinknesses's ass personally on the forums

NineFeetUnderground said:
its not up to opeth who headlines.

but plain and simple, a metal booking agent would put celtic frost as the headliner, it would draw the broader crowd pound for pound no matter WHERE they toured. just the facts...i know what im talking about.

Influential as they may be, Celtic Frost isn't gonna draw for shit. Who's their audience? Older guys who were into 'em back in the day and people seriously into the metal scene who are willing to dig deep enough to discover them. While I'm sure the audience they'd draw would be seriously enthusiastic about seeing them, if they were to tour the US now, in 2006, they'd be doing small to medium sized clubs, playing to a few hundred people. And that's with good openers. They weren't a huge commercial success then, and they're certainly not now.

Opeth is on a pretty big label and has enjoyed a fair bit of commercial success for a metal band in the past few years. They headline good sized venues and draw a decent crowd. Regardless of who occupies the more important or influential place in metal history, Opeth is gonna be the bigger draw. Celtic Frost will draw serious metal scene types looking to see influential underground legends and older guys seeing a nostalgia act.

Oinkness said:
There's more of a chance of Celtic Frost opening for Opeth. I don't think Mike even likes Celtic Frost. They only had one song that I liked and Opeth covered it, so I don't even listen to them... drag queens... :p
yeah....well....

Exocaster said:
Influential as they may be, Celtic Frost isn't gonna draw for shit. Who's their audience? Older guys who were into 'em back in the day and people seriously into the metal scene who are willing to dig deep enough to discover them. While I'm sure the audience they'd draw would be seriously enthusiastic about seeing them, if they were to tour the US now, in 2006, they'd be doing small to medium sized clubs, playing to a few hundred people. And that's with good openers. They weren't a huge commercial success then, and they're certainly not now.

Opeth is on a pretty big label and has enjoyed a fair bit of commercial success for a metal band in the past few years. They headline good sized venues and draw a decent crowd. Regardless of who occupies the more important or influential place in metal history, Opeth is gonna be the bigger draw. Celtic Frost will draw serious metal scene types looking to see influential underground legends and older guys seeing a nostalgia act.

ive been to motorhead and mercyful fate shows which drew bigger crowds than Opeth have most of the time. As well as other acts which even pre-date Celtic Frost, but havent been "in action" in a long time. All those bands are similar fan bases to Frost. Opeth is getting more popular sure, but i think you people are a little presumptuous on exactly HOW popular they are. Not all metalheads or metal listeners are 16-24. A good many of them are older, and are plenty familiar with older bands...more often than not...moreso than being familiar with Opeth even. Im not putting Opeth down here people, just take your heads out of your asses.

sdmf2 said:
im pretty sure Celtic Frost would open for Opeth instead. they havent done anything really good since To MegaTherion and Opeth have a huge following

what i have heard from the new album is very promising. not earthshattering, but pretty solid nevertheless. venom's new album metal black is also a good return to form album with more than a few solid songs.
what would be really cool is to have celtic frost and venom in one concert. what would have been even cooler would be to have bathory with them in concert playing stuff from a good return to form album (rather than nordland). too bad that can't happen anymore.

it seems that tom angelripper from sodom is pissed at both celtic frost and venom for making a comeback:

"The last few albums they released as CELTIC FROST were crap. OK, I'm sure that they are making a great [new] album, but I can't really trust them, coming back after all these years. . . Now they're getting a huge push, playing as headliners at the Wacken Open Air and Rock Hard Open Air festivals. We in SODOM have been playing and working our asses off non-stop for 25 years and we've never been invited to play the Rock Hard Festival! That really sucks! Maybe we should take a break for 15 years and then come back in wheelchairs. I'm sure then we would get a chance to play at some of those festivals!"

On VENOM:

"I've heard some of the new songs and they do not come close to 'Welcome to Hell', 'Possessed', 'Black Metal' or 'At War with Satan' in any way. Their time is over! The entire thing seems to me to be about making some quick money."
The info was from here: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=18428