RIP Celtic Frost

Never did listen to celtic frost....Always felt like kind of a rebel because everyone else really seems to love them, but i've just never gotten around to it.

Celtic Frost were one of those I had never listened to until Monotheist and I LOVED that album.

It's a shame, but they've been around forever, so they need to do whatever it is they do now.

Yep, that's pretty much true! lol "Into The Pandemonium" was what really got me into wanting to write and play this kind of music.

I have that on cassette, somewhere!!!!!!!
Probably in my parents storage shed...

That was definitely a love it or hate it kind of release.

I could do without the WALL OF VOODOO cover, but aside from that, I thought it was a solid release.

Yeah I liked the cover of "Mexican Radio". It was weird. At the time when I first heard it upon release, it just didn't sound like anything I'd ever heard before. That album was so diverse....you had heavy dirge-like songs with tympani and violins and female operatic vocals ("Rex Irae"), you had speedy thrash ("Inner Sanctum"), you had avante-garde stuff like "Tristesses De La Lune" and "Mesmerized", etc.....They covered so much ground on that album and some of it was really experimental and odd, and yet there was no mistaking that it was definitely Celtic Frost, because their sound and personality was stamped on all of it. I grew up worshipping stuff like that, and Voivod, and Metallica.....these bands who just didn't fit neatly into one small sub-genre, they'd branch out in all directions while still retaining their overall "sound". And that really became the blueprints for what I want out of a band.

For the younger listeners out there, or those who haven't been exposed to old CF yet......go find the song "Rex Irae (Requiem)" by CF, and give it a listen. Then go listen to My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, etc. You will see that those bands (and ND as well) were directly influenced by what Frost did on songs like that one. Slow tempos, detuned guitars, moaning painful spoken word vocals with operatic female vocals, violins and keyboards.....Celtic Frost are the ones who brought that shit to the underground metal scene, years before MDB, ND, PL, or any of us did. :)

Saw this earlier today:

...six weeks after quitting Celtic Frost, Thomas Gabriel Fischer has announced the formation of a new project, Triptykon to basically pick up where Celtic Frost left off:

“Triptykon will sound as close to Celtic Frost as is humanly possible, and the album I am working on will feature all the material I envisioned for the successor to Monotheist. I desire the album to be a darker, heavier, and slightly more experimental development of Monotheist.”