What are you listening to?

Wolverine - New best friends

Gotta love WOlverine when it comes to conveying emotions in a song. And on top of that I've got personal memories with this song. Definitely one of my favorites from them :)

now comparing the album and the live dvd versions of Sunrise On Mars to find out why I wasn't fond at all when they played it in Zoetermeer:
- it takes three guitars (acoustic + electric + lead), two keyboards (piano + organ/strings) and the backing vocalists to have it in its full majesty: when Richard switches to keyboards, the song gets "empty" because of the lack of the piano.
- they played it a bit too fast and it looses some of the groove. Despite being a fan of the songs played faster live, I always notice that it doeans't work with the ballads.

That's how picky you can be when you love a song! :D

the League Of Lights cd has arrived!

Gave it one spin while playing with the kids - that means attention to the lowest - plus started a more careful listening session in the car. The first things noticed is that Cover Me Now is a great song, and that Mark Zonder is as usual a joy to listen to, I love his care for the details in the arrangements.

Gave a few spins to the new Symphony X album. Despite an astomishing title track, it is a partial letdown: too much guitar, too few melodies, regarding both vocals and keyboards. Looks like Mike Pinnella was at the toilet while the album was being recorded. :Smug:

Finally received the limited edition of the new S-X cd (I had previously downloaded the 9 tracks edition): the feelijg is the same, they tried to do Paradise Lost n.2 but without the balance between heaviness and melody that made it such a successful record. Iconoclast lacks melody, choirs, keyboards, it's just guitars and a too aggressive voice. You may like it or not, but this is not the Symphony X trademark. I just joined the large group of fans who want them to get back to the times of V.

Gave a few spins to the new Symphony X album. Despite an astomishing title track, it is a partial letdown: too much guitar, too few melodies, regarding both vocals and keyboards. Looks like Mike Pinnella was at the toilet while the album was being recorded. :Smug:

:lol:

You know mate, I did enjoy Paradise Lost; it's a brilliant album IMO and was totally hooked (still am) from the start. But this new one? Well, let's just say I've only listened to it once and don't feel like doing it again any time soon. Read this:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/symphony-x-iconoclast-review/

Pretty much what I think of the album, although I would've given it a lower score actually.

I think that ALL of the people who claim that V is the untopped and untoppable Symphony X albums, should give up listening to them, because they just complain and moan (see the official forum, for example). :D

To me, the untopped album is Paradise Lost and its perfect balance between melody and heaviness. I like V a lot as well, but to me PL has better songs.

With this said, Iconoclast is not actually "very comfortable material", but rather "very heavy material": lots of guitar riffs (too much!!), poor orchestral sections, no piano/guitar interplay (I'm thinking of songs like a Fool's Paradise for example), very few vocal melodies (the only epic chorir worth a mention is the one on the title track), most of the songs have no vocal harmones at all, and too much grunting (Heretic, Dehumanized, Prometheus, etc.), and in general lack that fantastic hooks that made the previous albums instantly accessible.

And, last but not least, tell the reviewer that iconoclast is NOT a concept album, but rather a "theme" album ;)

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

Great album! Finally they have returned to the "Images and Words" times. Thank to the Portnoy's departure. Without him they play melodic-prog again!

@smnvfdr

I really love Portnoys drumming in DT. But you're so right, they are better off without him. There's a new feeling in the new record that I haven't felt since probably Scenes or Six degrees albums...

Right now I'm spinning A dramatic turn of events and This mortal coil (Redemption), love em both a whole lot!

@smnvfdr

I really love Portnoys drumming in DT. But you're so right, they are better off without him. There's a new feeling in the new record that I haven't felt since probably Scenes or Six degrees albums...

Right now I'm spinning A dramatic turn of events and This mortal coil (Redemption), love em both a whole lot!

You're absolutely fucking right, man!!! DT is now much better without "creative" Portnoy and his Twelwe Step Suite shit. The new record is great!