What are you up to as a musician?

Let's see if we can end the trend of "post once and leave" that seems to be permeating this part of the forum, and build a nice community of active musicians instead.

Post what you're currently working on as a musician.

I have an old school death/thrash EP that I'm turning into a full length for a release in March, so I'm working on finishing 4 songs in various stages of completion. I also started building a travel guitar, 25.5 inch scale with just enough headstock and body to hold hardware and electronics. I've been wanting a super portable setup for a while.

Let's see if we can end the trend of "post once and leave" that seems to be permeating this part of the forum, and build a nice community of active musicians instead.

Post what you're currently working on as a musician.

I have an old school death/thrash EP that I'm turning into a full length for a release in March, so I'm working on finishing 4 songs in various stages of completion. I also started building a travel guitar, 25.5 inch scale with just enough headstock and body to hold hardware and electronics. I've been wanting a super portable setup for a while.

Deadly and by "enough headstock and body to hold hardware and electronic" are we talking like a carvin headless guitar small?

Musicality wise I am studying the possible relationship between mathematics and music. For example, the golden ratio found throughout many of mozart work and then use these 'formulas' as a means to create music as sometimes music you write from your head can be somewhat repetitive or in my own opinion it can be.

Well basically the headstock is 4X2 in terms of tuners, and I removed all the wood beyond the last tuner. It got pretty small. And the body ends right behind the bridge. Kinda like this guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/hofner-shorty-electric-travel-guitar
Except mine has the full fender scale length. I just picked up a vintage suitcase from eBay and I'm going to try to build a small amp/speaker inside it, with plenty of room leftover for my laptop/small audio interface/small speakers, and maybe my guitar also (with the neck unbolted of course). That way when I travel I'll have my whole setup in one suitcase. I may just pick up a cheap small combo amp and put that in there, especially since some of them have headphone jacks and you can get them for like $30.

I've been getting home from work early a lot this week which means my neighbors aren't home for a while and so I can play drums without being that loud asshole neighbor. So I recorded drum tracks to a goregrind EP I'm working on right now. They way I write/record my grind music is backwards from many others - I record the drum tracks first and then go back and write music over the drum tracks. It's challenging sometimes but I really enjoy it.

If you're going to use headphones, you could purchase this:
http://www.voxamps.com/us/amplug/.
I haven't tried them out myself but portable is almost an understatement.

This week I've been writing some music in various genres. I have had a lot of spare time and my friend asked me to write some music for his film projects so I decided to give it a try and so far things are proceeding quite well actually.

Also I'll try to be a recurring user in this thread. :)

Yeah I have a vox amplug, it's great. I'm basically just looking for a reason to build something, hahaha.

Last night I picked up some stuff for dirt cheap on eBay, got a ride cymbal, one of those cymbal boom arms that clamps to an existing stand, and a drum throne - I've been using my office chair. Can't wait to get this stuff in! And the weather is warming up a tad here this weekend, so I'm going to go out back and try to finish building my travel guitar. I can't wait to finish that thing.

If your looking to build and want a small amp why don't you build one? Like I have done the one posted here and it is decent sounding all things considered. However, perhaps it might not be your thing if your looking for a cheap high gain amp.

I've built some amps to include all tube amps, I'm just looking for something simple, quick, and cheap. For $30 I can get a combo with a decent amount of gain and probably a headphone jack also, and I'll stuff that in a suitcase with an improved speaker and I'll be set. Cheaper than buying parts to build my own. Plus I'm feeling a tad lazy, haha.

Worked on my travel guitar today, got it nearly done. I just need to route out the pickup cavity, it's just a tiny bit too small. I'll try to post a picture of it tomorrow, as well as the other guitar I just finished.

I've thought about purchasing an amplug, my 120W stack might not be popular among my neighbours when I impulsively want to play late at night. I live in student's appartment complex (not equal to dorm rooms) so I suppose the walls are not that well sound insulated considered the apparments were ment to be leased with a low price.

It's an interesting project you have there. I'll be waiting for pics!

Got kinda lazy with pictures, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow, but I finished my travel guitar. It'll take some getting used to playing it, because the body is so tiny, but I'm liking it. I put a high output humbucker in it and tuned it down to Bb, so it rocks. And the electronics are as simple as can be, the humbucker is wired directly to the output jack. I like the way that sounds, personally.

The amplug is fun. It has a pretty nice metal tone and the battery lasts pretty long as well. I should use mine more.

I joined the February album writing month challenge at fawm.org. The challenge is to write a 14 track album during the month of February. I'm using that as an excuse to finish my next doom album, which is turning out nice. My previous doom album is here (and free in case anyone wants it)
http://licrest.bandcamp.com

Alrighty, here's a picture of my little travel guitar. I'm happy with how it turned out.

travelguitar_zps832187bb.jpg

Musicality wise I am studying the possible relationship between mathematics and music. For example, the golden ratio found throughout many of mozart work and then use these 'formulas' as a means to create music as sometimes music you write from your head can be somewhat repetitive or in my own opinion it can be.
This is a great book. You will learn a lot.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Music-Brain-Ecstasy-Captures-Imagination/dp/038078209X/[/ame]

414vF8l02DL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks great! But I wonder how balanced it is. I mean, you've removed a lot of weight from the body, does that have an impact on the feel when you play?

Unfortunately it does. I haven't bothered putting strap buttons on it yet, but I'll do that soon, although I imagine the balance will still be horrible. If you play it sitting down in a classical position it's not too bad though. And it sounds surprisingly good. Right now I'm working on a Rickenbacker style bass, black stain with a white pickguard. It'll be my main bass when I finish.

Also working on writing my next death/doom album. It's coming along nicely, I have 9 songs finished. Once I hit 14-15 I'll select the best ones and release it. It should be out at the end of the month or very beginning of March.

I listened to Licrest Nexus, dig it all around. The growls especially remind me of Draconian and Opeth, both excellent sounds.

I'm not an active, experienced musician, total amateur, but I record vocal covers here and there trying to get better and write shit tons of lyrics to instrumental songs.

Right now I am half assedly working on an a'capella cover of Candlemass's Galatea. Some say a'capella is gay, I think it's pretty cool though, and should be good practice. I'm having a little difficulty separating the different instruments, but I'll get there.

Edit: Any of yall ever build a cigar box amp? Nice novelty item, I've seen some pretty cool ones.

I've built quite a few amps, not a cigar box amp but I've built similar circuits. The ones I built were very simple and fun. Thanks for the compliment, Licrest is probably my most successful music. I've got 9 songs finished for my next album and while they're really good, I think I need to write something less depressing to break it up. Right now the songs I have are all very painful songs, to the point that I think an album full of them may be depressing to the point of detracting from the listening experience. Even for doom I want it to be more multifaceted, so I'm going to try to write something in a 5/4 time signature (which I used a lot of on my first Licrest album) and just in general not as depressing.

I've always found leaning towards a groovier, almost stoner sound tends to make things more cheerful in otherwise booming, trudging doomy music. If its a nice summer day, sun shining... I put away the Candlemass and throw on some Trouble.

ha ha wow I read the description and it seem pretty intense. Gonna check it out pretty soon once I'm done this book on advance c++, but, that is a irreverent topic.
It's one of the better books that I've read. I'm interested in evolutionary musicology, so this book, along with another one called The Singing Neanderthals, was great, but the one I posted goes into a lot of detail that I think will be interesting to you specifically.

Currently I am, along with the rest of the guys, finishing an album and rehearsing...the new disc is killer, I usually have a hard time listening to myself...but I am quite pleased with how it's turning out.
Aside from that as always writing and keeping notes on what I come up with for future use.