What are you up to as a musician?

I have a ton of 3/4" plywood so I think I may put together a bass combo or something similar. I'm also working on finishing up a doom album and participating in february album writing month on www.fawm.org. I have 9 songs done, so I need 5 more to finish. Also working on a limited release of one of my music projects through a french record label. I recorded some drums today for two songs, so I guess I was pretty productive.

Finished writing my doom album all in a month, so I completed the challenge on fawm.org. I'm pretty happy about that. Just gotta write some lyrics this weekend and my OSDM album will be done as well. I have a bunch of materials to make some shit and I really want to go outside and build stuff but it's 14 degrees, so that's a no.

@infinitenexus that pretty awesome I struggle to write a song in a three month period yet alone album. However, admittedly, I always get stuck with zeno's dichotomy paradox when I decide when a song is good enough.

Yeah once I'm generally happy with a song and I know it's good, just maybe needs a little polishing, I force myself to leave it alone for a day, come back the next day, do a few minor tweaks and then I'm done. Sometimes after releasing an album I'll say oh I wish the kick drum sounded better or whatever, but that way I don't sit on my music forever, which I would do otherwise.

So my doom album is done (Licrest, follow links in my sig) and I'm really happy with it. I had a bunch of goregrind/deathgrind written, just needing lyrics/vocals, so tonight I decided to sit down and work on that. Goregrind is great, just write about guts and stuff and you're done. Also slowly working on finishing that drone/ambient album, I just write that stuff slowly. So far I have 4 songs I'm happy with for that one. Also got a new speaker, so now my bass setup is ready to rock.

Well I finished my goregrind EP and it turned out pretty good. I only have 3 mics for my drumset, so getting a good drum sound can be tricky, but I got about the best sound I can get. Here it is in case anyone wants to check it out:
http://musicforthedead.bandcamp.com/album/a-call-to-severed-arms

Also if anyone wanted to hear my new doom album:
http://licrest.bandcamp.com/album/misery

Unfortunately I injured my back so I don't know how much I'll be able to get done today/this weekend. I'm pretty much zonked out on muscle relaxers. I wrote a bit of a shoegaze-style song just for fun, so I'll add that to my pile of random genre music. This weekend I really just need to finish vocals on an OSDM song of mine and then maybe write some drone. I dunno.

Your doom album sounds great, at least the first half of the album since I'm listening it through as we speak. I find it impressive that you wrote it in a month, I'd struggle hard to get an album done in a month with such good results.

My main stream project is slowly progressing. Finished writing my fifth track a couple of days ago all thou I have no lyrics done yet but I'm in no hurry since all songs are not done.

I've also been trying to work on my power/melodic metal project but I have a lot of work in front of me on that. I'm trying to make an effort to make it perfect so I'll let it consume the time it needs until I'm happy with it. It'll take years to complete I fear but in my opinion that's better than rushing it and letting it be a half-assed attempt and I'm still young so I got all the time in the world! ;)

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out. Being a solo musician helps me write a lot; I don't have to confer with other band members or anything, I just write. Also I don't really have any other hobbies other than music.

My computer crashed and died. I tried using the built in Dell data backup thing, and it pretty much wrote over shit and deleted it all, so I lost all of my music files. Roughly 200GB of songs I had written and was in the process of writing, all gone. And unfortunately I hadn't backed up in a long time, so I can restore a few things from my old backup but at this point it's almost not worth it. I have to start over completely. I decided to get a Mac, as they're reputed to be ultra stable. I've had it for a week so far and I'm happy with it. The latency is lower than with a PC, and once you get used to the differences, it's nice. And no glitches or freezing or blue screen of death or crashing.

Sad to hear! I have all my files on dropbox, allthough my compositions don't even come close to 200GB. But good luck with the fruit computer! ;)

I haven't had time to write much these past weeks due to my studies but my sixth song on my previously mentioned project has taken form and is finished.

Some motivation to write some atmospheric BM is slowly building up in my again and I'll see if it leads to something concrete. Also I've spoken with a friend about a mutual power/death project but it's still at a blue print-phase.

Right now I am half assedly working on an a'capella cover of Candlemass's Galatea. Some say a'capella is gay, I think it's pretty cool though, and should be good practice. I'm having a little difficulty separating the different instruments, but I'll get there.
Have you heard of Van Canto?

My computer crashed and died. I tried using the built in Dell data backup thing, and it pretty much wrote over shit and deleted it all, so I lost all of my music files. Roughly 200GB of songs I had written and was in the process of writing, all gone. And unfortunately I hadn't backed up in a long time, so I can restore a few things from my old backup but at this point it's almost not worth it. I have to start over completely. I decided to get a Mac, as they're reputed to be ultra stable. I've had it for a week so far and I'm happy with it. The latency is lower than with a PC, and once you get used to the differences, it's nice. And no glitches or freezing or blue screen of death or crashing.
Something similar happened to me several years ago when my old laptop simply stopped turning on. We were all pretty sure everything was gone until a few months later when my mom pushed CTRL+ALT+DELETE and everything popped back up like nothing had ever happened. I'm now pretty careful about making two or three backups of everything.

How did you manage to get 200GB of music in the first place? I use some MIDI composition software called TabIt, but my ~1,500 files are only a few MB combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
TabIt is the best, just pointing that out. My dropbox easily stores all .tbt-files but project files and recordings might take up some space.

infinitenexus: Have you tried to hand you computer in to an authorized repairer to check on it? I've heard one can write over old deleted data up to 8 times with traces left of the old files. Might be worth a shot!

How did you manage to get 200GB of music in the first place? I use some MIDI composition software called TabIt, but my ~1,500 files are only a few MB combined.

200GB worth of Reaper files and the associated .wav files for multiple takes of guitar, bass, vocals, drums, etc. I have something like 10-12 projects I write for, and it all adds up.

I'm slowly recovering songs from my head. I've got a few songs re-recorded for my next Only a Shadow Remains album, which will be fairly traditional death metal, although I'm trying to put a technical aspect to it. It'll be for charity, probably for an animal charity. It's turning out very nicely so far, but of course I've hit another obstacle: My bass guitar suddenly doesn't work. The electronics just died on it somehow. Annoying.

I'm definitely backing things up more often now. My new Mac is running super smoothly and works great with no issues, but I'll back things up on a regular basis to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Managed to re-record a reasonable amount of music. Some of it I just had to move on. Recently finished a little 2 song death/doom EP. And most importantly I found a drummer and now I'm in a real band, yaaaayyyyy. So now I'm really focusing on that and writing music so we can play some local venues.