What are your roots???

Hy there Dave?

For me, it was Iron Maiden and Helloween, but probably first progressive metal album that I've heard was IVANHOE - Symbols of time, that was my first touch with the progressive metal world.

P.S. How far are You with Your answers :) ?

First, for me, there was AC/DC, Black Sabbath, and Rush.

Followed by Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest.

Followed by Queensryche, Slayer, Metallica, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Megadeth, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Hades, and King Diamond.

Followed by Pink Floyd, Marillion, Fish, Roger Waters, Sting, Tori Amos, and Van Halen.

Followed by Dream Theater, King's X, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, My Sister's Machine, John Wesley, Korn, and Alice in Chains.

And, now, Pain of Salvation, Procupine Tree, Opeth, Symphony X, Power of Omens, Watchtower, Spiral Architect, Spastic Ink, Katatonia, Aghora, Gordian Knot, Cynic, Superior, and a ton of others!!!

As for guitarists, here was my progression:

- Alex Lifeson
- Randy Rhoads
- Vivian Campbell
- Kirk Hammett
- Yngwie
- Vinnie Moore
- Tony MacAlpine
- David Gilmour
- Al DiMeola
- Christopher Parkening
- John Petrucci
- Ron Jarzombek

Well, I suppose it was Metallica at a fairly young age. Then onto Megadeth. Then I spent a whole lot of time on Steve Vai and Joe Satriani (I can't get bored of Vai, really)
Then I got into fusion and started listening to Gambale, Finn and Holdsworth, some Russ Freeman and Pat Metheny. Then to Chick Corea, Return to Forever, etc. A brief aside into grunge with AIC and some Pearl Jam, but only AIC held my interest from that stuff.
Then I wanted more techincal stuff and I decided to check out Dream Theater and have been pretty much a prog-whore since then.

A few guitarists who made a huge impact:

Hammet
Vai and Satch
Gambale
Freidman
MacAlpine
Garsed and TJ Helmerich
Petrucci
Romeo

Jax! see, 10,000 comediennes out of work and still you want to be one:lol:

seeing this thread, I was ready to reply, English/German/Irish:)

musically, probably ACDC, Iron Maiden, which led me into a retro phase with UFO, Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy (I can't imagine Maiden's twin guitar attack without Robertson and Gorham)...then way into the Grateful Dead and blues/rock, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Corey Stevens...! and finally I began to listen to more modern hard rock and metal, leading me into euro power metal and some prog (DT, Shadow Gallery), although I am not the outright jazzbo-prog whore that Lee is :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think mine started with The Marshall Tucker Band (now don't laugh) because of my dad driving for them and getting lots of opportunity to see them live.. They started my love for music. My dad had a great mixture of music and I was always picking different ones and listen with the head phones on. I progressed to Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and then got into the Heavy Metal scene in California, QR, Priest, Maiden, all the good bands, but I would say in the last year I have been getting into more prog bands...

I am happy that one of the bands I found is only 2 hours away!!! :D :D

Now if they would only have a gig soon!.

I started off with Metallica, from there i got into a lot of classic rock such as Led Zeppelin (still one of my top bands), pink floyd, black sabbath, and the who. and while still into classic rock i stumbled into a band named rush, and i really got into them, and from there i branched out to fates warning, queensryche, and then into dream theater, and from dream theater i started to get into more technical metal such as spiral architect and spastic ink. and now i am mostly into my band of choice, Power of Omens

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin... Then Deep Purple, Queen, Black Sabbath. Around 1977 I discovered US and Canadian metal, Yesterday & Today, Riot, RUSH!!!, Max Webster, Triumph, Moxy. Then came Judas Priest, UFO [Michael Schenker!!!], Scorpions [Uli Roth!!!].

That's the foundation.

Originally posted by rgbeach

And, now, Pain of Salvation, Procupine Tree, Opeth, Symphony X, Power of Omens, Watchtower, Spiral Architect, Spastic Ink, Katatonia, Aghora, Gordian Knot, Cynic, Superior, and a ton of others!!!

Great bands! I like all of those!