What are your thoughts on Rush?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Anyone here like their latest few releases (Vapor Trails, Test For Echo)?

I'm somewhat 'new' to Rush. I've had the Chronicles 2cd best of for about 10 years, but nothing else. The good songs are great; the bad songs are dreadful.
And Geddy's voice, particularly on the older stuff, can be hard to digest.

But these last few records are somewhat....heavy. And progressive in a modern (not neo-progressive) way.

Anyone still dig this band?

Awesome fucking band...sometime's Geddy's voice can be grating - but nonetheless - AWESOME FUCKING BAND AND TALENTED MUSICIANS. Pulling off a trio with the complexity of a lot of their music is not easy.

Definitely one of the greats in my eyes.

JB

They've definately got their moments & have produced some very good songs, but as a whole I don't particulary care for them (I actually sold off all of my Rush cds a few years ago, which I'm regretful about sometimes). I guess the super-high vocals make them distinctive, but I think they would be much more listenable with a less annonying vocalist.

The most recent Rush album I bought was Counterparts, which had a few decent songs but otherwise forgetable.

If I'm in the mood for a 70's prog-rock-ish cd, I'd definately pick King Crimson or Pink Floyd ahead of them.

One of the best, most well rounded and talented bands of all time!!
People might not like Geddy's voice but I can't honestly think of another singer who could sing those songs and still have you knowing it's Rush..

His voice is part of their signature sound that makes them who they are.

SoundMaster said:
Anyone here like their latest few releases (Vapor Trails, Test For Echo)?

I'm somewhat 'new' to Rush. I've had the Chronicles 2cd best of for about 10 years, but nothing else. The good songs are great; the bad songs are dreadful.
And Geddy's voice, particularly on the older stuff, can be hard to digest.

But these last few records are somewhat....heavy. And progressive in a modern (not neo-progressive) way.

Anyone still dig this band?

Rush has been my favorite band in the late 70s to mid 80s. I simply love all that they have done with exception from their last few albums.

I loved Geddy Lee's voice from the minute I first heard it in January 1977. I can honestly say that I like his 70s voice a bit more than how he sounds now.

sixxswine said:
Good band, the weak link is Geddy's vocals, if you'd like to hear better power trios check out Motorhead or ZZ Top...

I absolutely disagree. Geddy Lee vocals especially on the old albums are amazing.

The technicality, quality, melody, harmony, lyrics, complexity of Rush have seldom been achieved by an band (moreover by a power trio) in rock history.

If it's true that they lost their grandeur after "Signals" it's also true that albums like "Counterparts" or "Test For Echo" are good enough to be part of a collection.

Besides how can't you love a band that sings to baldness? :D

I looked in the mirror today
My eyes just didn't seem so bright
I've lost a few more hairs
I think I'm going bald

I think they are one of the highest quality bands to have ever graced a stage. They are tops in musicianship, and even higher to be considered, they are top-notch songwriters. Something that some of these newer Prog bands could maybe take a lesson from.

The first time I saw them was in 1991 (with Eric Johnson as support) at a small arena on Illinois State University. I was floored unbelievably. Just amazing, fucking amazing. One of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. From the blue lasers to the unreal musicianship and mezmerizing songs, the were just it. They definitely opened my eyes to the fact that there was some fantastic music that WASN'T Metal and could touch me equally as well as any of those bands.

And ironically enough, I just got back from the store where I just purchased "Chronicles" on DVD. Kinda weird...

If there was a Top 5 Rock and Roll songs of all time list, "The Spirit Of Radio" would have to be on there.

Rush owns. End comment.

Their older material is absolutely amazing. Caress of Steel is a masterpiece. Even the 80's stuff is pretty good although a lot different in style. I seen them first in 83 on their Signals tour and they were damn near flawless in their performance. Such amazing musicians. Seen them again in 91 or 92 for Roll the Bones, which is the most recent album I have of theirs. Again I was blow away to see how they handle themselves live. Seeing both Geddy and Alex playing "floor keys" while doing the guitar parts and Neil's command over his massive drum kit is nothing short of stunning.

Jean-Pierre said:
Geddy's voice is excellent, and Rush is one of the greatest bands in the history of music.

Once again, the man speaks the truth.

Rush is definitely one of my favorite bands.And yes, i dig even their more recent stuff. Test for Echo and Counterparts being my favorite of the more recent "heavy" albums.

To date, mu Rush collection consists of:
Counterparts
Signals
Test for Echo
Moving Pictures
Vapor Trails (which blows me away)
I'll be picking up the one with "Freewill" tonight.

Which should I pick up next? If 2112 as good as all the reviews claims it is?
Which one "70s era" is the most essential?

And which post-Signals, pre-Counterparts is essential?
I'd like to try both eras.

Rush is not on of my top favorites, but I do enjoy their stuff, especially their stuff from the 70's through the mid-80's. I'll even admit geddy's vocals can get a little shrill and harsh once in a while, but most of the time I enjoy his vocals and as musicians, all three are excellent.

Bryant

I "grew up" on rush as it is one of my dad's fav bands...I've always liked them, the musicianship has always been superb and they have tons of tracks that I enjoy... and Geddy's vox doesn't get on my nerves at all ;)

SoundMaster said:
To date, mu Rush collection consists of:
Counterparts
Signals
Test for Echo
Moving Pictures
Vapor Trails (which blows me away)
I'll be picking up the one with "Freewill" tonight.

Which should I pick up next? If 2112 as good as all the reviews claims it is?
Which one "70s era" is the most essential?

And which post-Signals, pre-Counterparts is essential?
I'd like to try both eras.

As far as the 70's era goes, my personal fave is "Hemispheres". "2112" is awesome, but there is just a beginning-to-end feel on H that can't be topped. I think that H is their most 'Metal-sounding' album in their catalog.

As far as the late 80's, early 90's picks, I'm a bit of an oddball and I like "Roll The Bones" quite a bit. That one is more of a personal pick as far as a time that it was released in, but I also feel it has some great stuff on there. "Dreamline", "Bravado", and "Ghost Of A Chance" are especially good.

All their stuff through Counterparts is really worth purchasing, IMO. There are some great songs all through their catalog. The song "Open Secrets" on Hold Your Fire is worth the price of the entire disc, IMHO.

Walter_Langkowski said:
As far as the 70's era goes, my personal fave is "Hemispheres". "2112" is awesome, but there is just a beginning-to-end feel on H that can't be topped. I think that H is their most 'Metal-sounding' album in their catalog.

Hmm that's a interesting point you have there Walt. For me "2112" is their most metallic work ever, while "Hemispheres" is their most prog work of the 70's. The triad of "2112", "A Farawell To Kings", "Hemisphere" is absolutely the peak of their creativity and most enduring albums a band can create.