what band(s) have ya

The only one I've "discovered" as a result of attending ProgPower was Mercenary. But I did develop some level of enjoyment for a few bands that I previously disliked, particularly Pain of Salvation, Edguy, and Kamelot. I'm still not much of an Edguy or Kamelot fan, but they put on an excellent show.

booB said:
The only one I've "discovered" as a result of attending ProgPower was Mercenary. But I did develop some level of enjoyment for a few bands that I previously disliked, particularly Pain of Salvation, Edguy, and Kamelot. I'm still not much of an Edguy or Kamelot fan, but they put on an excellent show.

thats cool dude!

Honestly when I first found out about this festival, I researched all the bands that have ever played and I am now a proud owner of an album from almost every band that has ever played. I knew about some of the bigger names, but bands like into eternity and mercenary I was totally clueless about.

None for me, i'm pretty well into the scene so i'm familiar with most of them if not all. But PPV did really turn me into a HUGE Into Eternity fan. I liked them before PPV but didn't really think they were anything great, but after seeing them live I took a whole new liking to them.

Last year also really turned me into a big Brainstorm and Tad Morose fan. Same story as with Into Eternity, but I have been a more than casual fan of Brainstorm for years.

Lots (Tad Morose, Mercenary, Wuthering Heights), but the big one for was Threshold at PPIII. I didn't know much from them. During the set, I went from sitting and listening, to having to get on the floor because they were so good, to running out and buying two albums right after the set. Hypothetical is still one of my favorite albums.

Steve in Philly

...pretty much all the ones from last year, except for the savatage thingie and had seen some of the other bands that have played pp before, play in other venues...i had heard about most of these bands from the savatage boards :yell: :cry: but never really got into them till pp...

Well, in the time I attended my first PP(PPIII), I was a total melo-death freak, I did NOT like power metal...a friend gave me a ticket so I said what the hell...

Its safe to say now that I am a total power metal freak(well, sort of..), I love me some Gamma Ray, Silent Force(blew me away) and Angra...I wasnt blown away by Blind Guardian so I still dont like them that much, and Edguy really did nothing for me..

The rest of the bands I can't even remember the names...but the whole experience really did open my eyes to this awesome( but sometimes cheesy) metal genre..now I am a fan of the aforementioned bands plus several others like Manticora, Dark Moor, some strato..etc.etc.etc. I might not be a hardcore power metal fan(I cant stand several supposedly "awesome" bands like anything with ralph Scheepers) but I am going to PP this year again so that counts for something!!

Here is a list of the bands the all-mighty-Glenn has turned me on to:

Threshold
Wuthering Heights
Adagio
Pink Cream 69
Mercenary
Orphaned Land
Pagan's Mind
Into Eternity
Vanden Plas
Dreamscape

Here are the bands I didn't care for when hearing them
;

Devin Townsend Band (although I kinda like SYL)
Pain of Salvation (no matter how many times I try, I cant get into it)
Redemption

The bottom line, Glenn is money well spent. If I can only say I didn't care for 3 bands out of the PP fests I've been to since III, I have nothing to bitch about.

Bands that I didn't know shit about until I saw them on a PPUSA roster...?

Threshold -- that's a big one...love that band!
Zero Hour
Secret Sphere
Pagan's Mind
Dreamscape
Circus Maximus

Threshold is obviously a big one...but hell...what about Stride? Saw them at the PPIV pre-party...I couldn't believe I had to travel from Corpus Christi to Atlanta to discover a band from Houston...unbelievable! That's why they have our $$$ for this year.

Rock on!

Well, normally I buy at least one CD from every band, although there are exceptions if I really know I'm not going to like them. So here's last year:

Into Eternity: Didn't like them, their performance didn't change my mind.

Dreamscape: Bought the album, wasn't getting into it, thought the show was all right. then around January End of Silence "clicked" and I was overjoyed that I'd get another shot at seeing them this year. So that was a delayed reaction.:)

Tad Morose: Bought Modus Vivendi, it was okay, then the performance blew me away. Didn't sell me any more albums though, because I think Urban's voice isn't produced right on the albums. From interviews I've read, that's mainly his doing. He needs to just do it live and be happy with it. His voice really shines live. I'll buy the next Tad Morose album if his voice isn't overproduced.

Kamelot: Already a huge fan, performance met expectations, although I thought the song selection could have been better.

Savatage: Didn't like them, and then proceeded to get blown away by their performance. I wasn't even planning to stay after Kamelot, but now I'm glad I did! So you could say that was a discovery.

Adagio: Thought the first album was all right, performance was all right too.

Wuthering Heights: Bought the first album in 2000, hated it. Bought the third album in preparation for the show, thought it was a major leap forward. The performance was even better.

Brainstorm: Bought Soul Temptation, thought it was okay. Performance was incredible. That performance sold me Liquid Monster and now I can be counted as a Brainstorm fan. So that's discovery #2. Hoping Symphorce does it for me this year. I haven't been all that impressed with Twice Second, but a kick ass performance will cause me to pick up Godspeed.

Pain of Salvation: Bought One Hour By the Concrete Lake in 2000, hated it, used their set for CD buying time. Caught the last 15 minutes, still wasn't impressed.

Edguy: Awesome, awesome, awesome. That's all I can say.

Evergrey at ProgPower in 1999 (in Europe) -- had no idea who they were, turned in an excelelnt show and I bought the only CD they had left of the two that were out at the time (SDT and Dark Discovery; I got the latter). Also Wolverine, at the same show: I had no idea who they were and Erik from Mayadome came running up to us saying "Hey, check these guys out, they're awesome." We didn't actually get to see them since that side-stage room was full, but we hung out by the doorway and listened. Bought their CD later that night.

PPUSA 1.... Didn't make any huge new discoveries, but it cemented my fandom for Evergrey, Symphony X and Pain of Salvation, who were phenomenal -- that's still one of the "benchmark" performances I measure others against, and one of the best five shows I've ever seen.

I've already been familiar with most of the bands I've reallly liked at PPUSAs since then.

Also Wolverine, at the same show: I had no idea who they were and Erik from Mayadome came running up to us saying "Hey, check these guys out, they're awesome."

Wolverine is a band that NEEDS to play ProgPower USA.