What do you guys do when mastering/sending out the CD to a record label?

Jun 2, 2005
Just done the biggest mix and master job so far, and im very happy with the result!

However, final step needs to be taken and needs to be taken serious.. now i have done this once before, but i would still like to know how you guys go about and what you do when you have to send out the master CD to a label?

I import all the tracks into nuendo, finalize everything, search for artifacts if any, do fades and fade-outs, and calculate what would be the best amount of time between tracks.

Then i export every track 16 bit/44.100 into Nero.. and give each song the correct name, name the album, and burn on the slowest speed available.. then test the CD in a car, a stereo, etc and see if everything worked as planned.

Do you guys do the same? am i missing something?

Deadline is tomorrow and im just really trying my best not to miss out on anything.. :lol:

i've never submitted an album to a label, but it sounds like you're doing it right. one thing i would do though, is to burn a handful of final cd's, because sometimes they fail at the CD replication place.

Someone else will probably be able to give you some practical info.

I do something similar, only I usually send 2, one labeled "master" and one labeled "safety copy", which is in fact the same cd
Also most people want a PQ list, but I don't believe they are really necessary nowadays.
Some labels / bands want you to insert UPC/EAN codes too, maybe something worth checking before making the "final" disc.

I do something similar, only I usually send 2, one labeled "master" and one labeled "safety copy", which is in fact the same cd
Also most people want a PQ list, but I don't believe they are really necessary nowadays.
Some labels / bands want you to insert UPC/EAN codes too, maybe something worth checking before making the "final" disc.

agree

i like to here mixes in different environments before sending them out

feels good when its done though doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nero? can you burn the ISRC with nero?

and I'll always send at least two copies...one sealed master that is "don't even look at it or I'll rip you head off"-sealed and at least one listening copy.

sometimes labels request a promo as well (voice-overs or the like)

Labels will also get the PQ-sheet

Make sure you check the masters on as many systems as possible - check headphones, small speakers, big speakers, pro speakers and shitty computer speakers. Anything and everything!!
Also for professionalism, burn your final master to red book standard - 2s gap at start, all pq codes, etc.. CD text also makes a mark !