What do you do when you have nothing to do?

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey all

So buisness has been kinda slow for me latley. Im slightly un-enthused about it aswell. So im wondering, when business is slow, and the going ets tough, what do you listen to/do to inspire yourself to get back into it and fine tune your chops?

Ive remixed just about every track i have, and im at my wits end..i cant get anyone in to record, its a pissing me off! im getting rusty!! what do all you guys do in this situation!?!

When i don't have something to mix, i visit this forum every five minutes until i have to go to bed. :heh:

I think,"wow, now I can work on MY music which is what got me started on this path in the first place."

then I lurk on here for a few hours, eat a sandwich and go to bed

:lol: So true. I end up reading more on here than actually doing something. I check this dang place constantly. Actually it's always open in a tab so I can just hit refresh. :oops:

I think,"wow, now I can work on MY music which is what got me started on this path in the first place."

then I lurk on here for a few hours, eat a sandwich and go to bed

haha, thats a good one. unfornatuley the reason i got into production is because i was a shit house song writer. therefore i dont play (or own) a guitar either!!

oh god. this sucks. im getting addicted to ebay and buying shit i cant afford. ive got $40AUD to last me 2 weeks and im the highest bidder on a DBX 160X compressor on ebay..$400(AUD) with 2 hours to go :cry:

haha, thats a good one. unfornatuley the reason i got into production is because i was a shit house song writer. therefore i dont play (or own) a guitar either!!

oh god. this sucks. im getting addicted to ebay and buying shit i cant afford. ive got $40AUD to last me 2 weeks and im the highest bidder on a DBX 160X compressor on ebay..$400(AUD) with 2 hours to go :cry:

Had the same problem with a pinball machine a few weeks ago...

I don't run a commercial facility, but in your situation I would start to devise schemes to bring business in:

a) design flyers/website/businesscard (if you don't have those already)
b) go to clubs/shows/bars, talk to people and meet bands
c) search for local/regional bands on myspace and send them comments/make contact
d) make a list of strengths and weaknesses in your mixing and start working on the weaknesses
e) build basstraps & broadband absorbers yourself to treat your listening environment better
f) make a list of gear you might need and make a plan how to finance it
g) make a snippet reel of your best work and keep it up to date so you can send it out or post in on your website
h) ...

If there is nothing to do, you just gotta make it happen ...