What do YOU mic a tom with?

I agree with pretty much all of the above... but also check out AKG C3000s... Generally a piece of crap mic, but if you want snappy toms with a good amount of attack... give em a shot, personally I LOVE them for toms only... and you can snag them pretty damn cheap

i own a c3000 for 10 years now, first series (the black ones) and i must say, that it is a stellar mic. used it for vocals and drum room recordings.
more 90's sounding, not that hyped top end, but a round sound!
different league than the new china condensers.

sorry, haven't tried it on toms but i had to reply to the argument it is a piece of crap, can't stand those rumors :lol:

People seriously use CAD M179s on their toms? For some reason I've never considered using condensers on toms (more through ignorance than anything :p). Beyond that though, it's a bloody huge mic - wouldn't fancy putting it on a 12" or 14", it'd get mullered :cry:

Steve

SM98's are small in size with stable mount system and add a bit of attack that I prefer. While the CAD M179 is larger than many mics listed here, it is not That Big- I have not had problems with positioning. Just engage the pad & get ready for a beautiful sound - would describe as on the warmer side of things. Not saying it is for every application, but really sounds nice. For dynamic mics, typically using Audio Technica ATM25 or Yamaha MZ204 or MZ205 (hard to find, but awesome). Agree the D2/D4 sound good. Totally agree that tom tuning & even properly matching type of head to the tom based on sound desired matters more than mic per se'. Make sure you properly seat the heads (break the glue) when installing new heads. Tighten to higher than desired pitch & then tune down until you reach the tone you are after. Much more stable that way. My 2 cents worth. :) Always Learning...................

Audix D series and Sennheiser 421s, tried the i5 but hasn't worked, negotiating with the store I got it from for a new one, no trouble, but been using 57s on snare....toms....Audix D series no doubt.