What do you record in mono and what in stereo?

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
sorry if this thread is repeated or if its a dumb question but
im a noob and this will be very helpful to me (and for others i hope)

What do you record in mono and what in stereo?
and...why do you do that?

make a list like this ( M = mono , S = Stereo)
Kick : M (for example)
toms : S (For example)

-----------------------
Kick :
Snare :
Toms :
HiHat:
Overheads:
Bass :
Guitar Rhythm:
Guitar lead:
Vocals:
Choirs:
Keyboards:
-----------------------

P.S : another question
Do you normalize tracks after you record them?

Thanks for your help!!
id be nothing without this forum

Everything in mono except stereo synth patches. Stereo effects get applied after the fact. I'll split overheads/room mics for drums onto separate channels in case I need to tweak something in there- bring up the ride for a section or whatnot.

I never normalize.

Everything in mono except stereo synth patches. Stereo effects get applied after the fact. I'll split overheads/room mics for drums onto separate channels in case I need to tweak something in there- bring up the ride for a section or whatnot.

I never normalize.

+1

a Thread about Normalize

i really dont understand the OH and ambience in mono... arent they for taking and stereo image of the drumkit?

You track the different mics in mono. The left overhead mic to its own mono track and the right overhead to its own mono track. You could technically record them to stereo, its a preference thing, but it seems like alot of the members here, myself included, like to have them in separate mono tracks which you pan to opposite sides.

I record everything in mono. Even hardware keyboards :lol: With keys I'll usually keep them panned hard L&R, but sometimes there's a patch, or something we do with post fxs that require I bring the stereo spread in so it isn't SO wide.

MONO FTW :kickass:

However, getting towards the end of a mix if I start printing things down, it's almost to a stereo track if it has any sort of verb or delay.

yeah I record everything in mono and then pan later.
I use normalising when I do radio and voice work, makes the edits easier to see and as long as you keep an eye on everything you won't clip. Its kinda a preference thing. I also use it when doing drum replacement if its tracked badly, I normailise, then gate and then replace. makes setting up the gate easier and there's less mis fire with the replacement.

Either way i record guitars or whatever i need to It sounds funny but i record in mono or stereo for guitars cause i pan Hard L R Then i always add a group track for easy mixing in stereo cause mono dont seem to keep them panned where i would like them it could just be me