When do I Mono/Stereo?

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
Hey, I've searched this topic and have not found much, so here are my questions. When applying vst effects such as some of the waves ones. The plugins have mono/stereo/dual mono options. Which would I use and for what? Just based on some general knowledge I have I feel like kick and snare should be mono while OH and toms would be stereo?

In fact, just any info on what should be mono and what should be stereo would be great. I know this is quite a newb question, but hell, college is keeping me busy with learning other things...So any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuff i use in mono: bass drum - bass guitar - panned mono guitars

actually there's a lot of field to explore there as you'll hear some records using (this particularly calls my attention) mono oh's or weird unnatural stuff that sounds good in the mix, i'd say stick to the very basic kick/bass mono's, and explore, with vox, leads, solo's, etc. keep the rest in stereo. Or easier, if you see a difference in levels in the meters L-R, use stereo, if not, mono. [:

there's a difference between the tracks being mono and whether you pan them or not. you can leave your tom tracks mono and still pan them.

stuff you would routinely use stereo tracks for-
certain vox(stuff with chorus, etc on it..)
reverbs and so on
synths, fx, etc

basically anything that is gonna go wide - but not necessarily panned, if you get me...

My tracks are all mono, my busses are sometimes mono, sometimes stereo.
For example: All my drums are recorded on mono tracks and panned individually. The snare top and snare bottom tracks (panned c) are bussed to a mono snare bus. The toms (panned individually) are bussed to a stereo tom bus. The bassdrum, snarebus and tombus are again bussed to a stereo drumbus. This is again bussed to another main drum bus with the overheads, hihat and ride. I use mono plugins on monotracks and monobusses and stereo plugins on stereo busses. Thats about it.

For example: All my drums are recorded on mono tracks and panned individually. The snare top and snare bottom tracks (panned c) are bussed to a mono snare bus. The toms (panned individually) are bussed to a stereo tom bus. The bassdrum, snarebus and tombus are again bussed to a stereo drumbus. This is again bussed to another main drum bus with the overheads, hihat and ride. I use mono plugins on monotracks and monobusses and stereo plugins on stereo busses. Thats about it.

+1

This.
If it's a mono track then use a mono plugin. If it's a stereo track then use a stereo plugin.

For effects like reverb and chorus use a stereo aux, and therefore a stereo plugin.

Personally I hate it when everything is down the middle, so I try to pan or stereo-fy wherever possible. Even putting a stereo delay on drumbus can work out cool sometimes (automate it off when there's drum breaks or when it sounds out of place).

...In addition, you can have plugs with a mono input and stereo output.

You can use these plugs for lead vocals, lead guitars, snare etc, where the source is mono, but the effect is stereo.

yeah, I think this is what the OP was asking.
a mono/stereo plug will accept a mono source and give you stereo output.
good for send returns...