What do you think?(Web design related)

theforgotten

Dec 4, 2008
Kicevo,Republic of Macedonia
Few days ago I saw Lasse's post in Gear For Sale section of the forum asking for someone to create design for his LSD Drum Sample shop so I started working immediately.Also I did design for his official web page www.lasselammert.com.I showed the designs to Lasse and he liked very much.I hope I'll have chance to work on his official web site! :headbang:

EDIT: this is so far what is done: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2889697/web/index.html

I like it.

plus1.gif

don't like the font of "Lasse Lammert".

maybe you could try a "real" signature.

looks pretty cool so far! I would get rid of that about page infront of the mixer and have it so you can play with the knobs to adjust the volume on the page or something like that

Thank you guys!

don't like the font of "Lasse Lammert".

maybe you could try a "real" signature.

HvO I was thinking about the same when I added that font and if Lasse can provide me scanned document with his signature I'll be more than happy to use it

Visually I like it, but Flash websites are a big no-no for me. Sounds are even worse.

I wanted to look more artistic but I'll keep it simple and clean and about the sounds I was thinking to put audio player to play some of Lasse's works, not sounds of clicks and stuff.Btw its very easy to create this page in HTML so if Lasse decides he want the page to be in HTML I'll do it.After all he's decision is most important and above everything in this case.

Cheers!

I wanted to look more artistic but I'll keep it simple and clean and about the sounds I was thinking to put audio player to play some of Lasse's works, not sounds of clicks and stuff.Btw its very easy to create this page in HTML so if Lasse decides he want the page to be in HTML I'll do it.After all he's decision is most important and above everything in this case.

Ah, cool then!

I don't see any screws on your official page.Guess I used them first! :D

Yup, they're on the new site that's under construction atm:
http://tainted-studio.com/Tainted_Rust/index.html

Just can't publish it before I'm finished with the new guide documents and have the new photos for the site (the current ones are just placeholders.) Between all the other work it's kinda hard to find motivation to work on the site :D

The general look and feel is great, but most definitely:

a) do it all in HTML - flash will make SEO impossible
b) the text is way too "crowded" due to the restricted length of the website (it has to "end" at the mixing board graphic).

My suggestion is to come up with a new concept. This looks nice, but content and design (as in useability/searchability) wise it's not good at all.

Lasse: if you want to gain clients through the website, think of the clients first. Make sure the website is easily findable via google (flash isnt!). Make the website as easily useable and readable as possible. Right now this is not the case at all.

To illustrate some points here:

Why do clients come to your website? What do clients want to know (in order of importance):

1) how expensive is it?
2) how does it sound?
3) what does the engineer look like?
4) what equipment does he have?
5) how can I reach the guy?
6) who has he worked with?

Most of that is not really adressed in the structure of the site. There is no "rates" section, I don't see a soundplayer page and if it's supposed to be somewhere in a sub-section: wrong! People don't have that kind of time/attention span. And even if they do: make it easy for them to find it by pointing out the obvious. If something says "References" like Jarkko's site, it doesn't automatically mean for me that I'll find a player there. Musicplayers belong on the front page of the site for any studio. So does a HUGE "get 10% discount by booking online" button that leads to the price/rates page via a "List of rates" link.

Get a cool looking shot of the owner/engineer. Nobody wants to work with a nerdy idiot. Lasse is a cool looking rocknroll guy who walks the walk, so capitalize on that. If the studio owner doesn't look rocknroll, it makes it harder to sell to a rock band. If he does - and comes across as a friendly dude, it makes a big difference!

Make contact easy! BIG email buttons. BIG phone number! EASY EASY EASY. Make sure to route the phone number it to a very friendly mailbox with a short text.

I think references aren't really that important. As in "naming" bands. Unless you work with bands like Andy Sneap does. But then you really don't need a website.

Also, unless you become really famous, try to make the website in "I" or "we" form. The 3rd person narrator form always sounds impersonal and it's really not needed. Small bands will want an accessible owner/engineer. Big band's don't give a shit who you are. The only people who might be impressed are gearslutz regulars. Again, think what the clients want. They pay the bills.

Oh, and why is there a link to MySpace? MySpace is dead.

Overall: graphics are good, structure and content are not good at all.

The general look and feel is great, but most definitely:

a) do it all in HTML - flash will make SEO impossible
b) the text is way too "crowded" due to the restricted length of the website (it has to "end" at the mixing board graphic).

My suggestion is to come op with a new concept. This looks nice, but content and design (as in useability/searchability) wise it's not good at all.

Lasse: if you want to gain clients through the website, think of the clients first. Make sure the website is easily findeable via google (flash isnt!). Make the website as easily useable and readable as possible. Right now this is not the case at all.

+1

It looks great but also like a homepage for a horrormovie.
I would make the fronpage and stuff way more easy to read.

The way the current Backstage Studios site is set up handles all my demands better: http://www.andysneap.com/

Steal that layout and make it prettier (it does look very 1997ish graphic wise). Substitute "News" for some personal info about Lasse and LSD Studios. Substitute "Bands" for "Rates" and combine all clients (labels & bands) into the "Clients" category. Change "Production" into "Drumsamples".

Then sort the nav like this: Home / Rates / Drumsamples / Studio / Clients / Contact

Should work much better, in my not so humble opinion :)

Guys chill out!This is after 2 days of work (nav is copied just to have some links to show him)and the text in ABOUT page is just copied from Lasse's myspace.Lasse told me what to change on that text and said that its ok.If I have to choose between http://www.andysneap.com/ and http://www.systematicproductions.com/ or http://www.stymphalianproductions.co.uk/ I choose those two since they don't look as a free webpage template.I think that site for a metal producer should look like those two pages not like a online cosmetics shop(in my not so humble opinion).Does they look like a horror movie page too?I will stop posting updates in this thread!