What do you use low pass filters on?

Star Ark

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
I use a high pass on everything

I use a low pass on telephone effect stuff, that's it

Should I be using a low pass on virtually everything like the highpass?

Are there specific instruments you guys always lowpass?

And please don't give me the 'whatever sounds best' routine, we've all heard that one before

Thanks

Wow, that's about as original as whatever sounds best

no dude, its not original ... thats the whole point I was making

there's a shit ton of threads and info on this topic already .. why not make use of the resources available

funny how you probably closed that search result out and decided to post a comment at me instead of actually taking a little bit of time and reading what was in all of those other threads

no dude, its not original ... thats the whole point I was making

there's a shit ton of threads and info on this topic already .. why not make use of the resources available

funny how you probably closed that search result out and decided to post a comment at me instead of actually taking a little bit of time and reading what was in all of those other threads

I don't want Google's answers, I want answers from specific posters on this forum that know specifically about metal/hard rock

and I really don't want an argument

it wasn't an argument dingbat ... if you actually LOOKED at the results from that search you would see that it was a custom search of the FUCKING FORUM

ie - answers from specific posters on this forum that know specifically about metal/hard rock

i always high pass and low pass everything.
not with analyzers but with mathematics,and then you play a litle bit to gain more air/bottom etc

And please don't give me the 'whatever sounds best' routine, we've all heard that one before

Considering the fact that you're asking for help, you're acting like a bit of a dick to be honest.

The big reason that "whatever sounds best" is a common answer is because it is always the best answer!
What tracks in YOUR mix have excessive and unnecessary high frequency content? Those are the tracks that will require a low pass.

Notice the word "your"
Other people have different sources and different mixes, so it's not actually alot of help to know the specifics of what they're doing.

I find that I use low passes pretty rarely, the only ones that seem to be set in stone for me are:
Room mic's - To tame excessive cymbal wash
Guitars - To tame high frequency fizz, anywhere from 7-12k depending on the source and the song

Other than that it's all up in the air and has to be judged on a individual basis depending on the source.
Maybe you're boosting the highs on you kick and are getting a nice smack, but too much click? Get your low pass out to the kill the click.
Maybe you have alot of cymbal spill in your drum spot mic's? You could low pass there to see if it helps tame it without losing the brightness of the drums attack.
Maybe there's some really horrible spiky clank on the bass track that's popping out in a bad way? Try a low pass to see if you can kill the clank without losing the aggression and attack.

The big thing is to try it out on your stuff and see what works. If you really want to get better at recording and mixing you have to learn to trust your own ears in evaluating sound sources. Not rely on doing what your told by whoever happens to see your thread on the Sneap forum.

Considering the fact that you're asking for help, you're acting like a bit of a dick to be honest.

The big reason that "whatever sounds best" is a common answer is because it is always the best answer!
What tracks in YOUR mix have excessive and unnecessary high frequency content? Those are the tracks that will require a low pass.

Notice the word "your"
Other people have different sources and different mixes, so it's not actually alot of help to know the specifics of what they're doing.

I find that I use low passes pretty rarely, the only ones that seem to be set in stone for me are:
Guitars - To tame high frequency fizz, anywhere from 7-12k depending on the source and the song

Other than that it's all up in the air and has to be judged on a individual basis depending on the source.
Maybe you're boosting the highs on you kick and are getting a nice smack, but too much click? Get your low pass out to the kill the click.
Maybe you have alot of cymbal spill in your drum spot mic's? You could low pass there to see if it helps tame it without losing the brightness of the drums attack.
Maybe there's some really horrible spiky clank on the bass track that's popping out in a bad way? Try a low pass to see if you can kill the clank without losing the aggression and attack.

The big thing is to try it out on your stuff and see what works. If you really want to get better at recording and mixing you have to learn to trust your own ears in evaluating sound sources. Not rely on doing what your told by whoever happens to see your thread on the Sneap forum.

I know all this

I was hoping for a big game changer like high pass filtering did for my mixes.

and yes, I'm a douche but I already apologised once, I'm not doing it a second time

Notice the word "your"

+1, very well said.

I know all this

I was hoping for a big game changer like high pass filtering did for my mixes.

and yes, I'm a douche but I already apologised once, I'm not doing it a second time

And the asshole of the week award goes to.....

How about this for a game changer: Experiment more!