what do your waveforms look like when mixing?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Now that I've started tracking drums at -18dbFS I find it difficult to do some splitting/editing because the waves are just so tiny. I can get a nice big sound after processing, but even when I render to a stem, the waves are pretty small. Do you guys normalize anything for any purposes? Can someone post a screenshot of what their drum waves look like while mixing?

:worship: Not worthy.

NEVER normalize anything. it just degrades audio quality without sense. thats what faders are for.

in the age of 24bit, it is a wise idea to gain defensively, -18db is not the worst idea imho. in general, i try to keep a minimum of 12db headroom in my mixes before mastering chain - somehow in the digital world it always sounds better to mix at low levels and then crank in the gain in the mastering chain - dont ask me why.

in most daw's, like cubase you have a control that turns the transients up, so they look big while being recorded quiet - that should fix your issue.

I just wasnt sure if the smaller waveforms and transients would effect dynamic split sensitivity. I can't for the life of me seem to quantize drums and get it to come out sounding anywhere near "good". This is in Reaper btw. Checked some tutorials and still have issues.

yeah see, I zoom in all I want and the waves are just really thin and it gets hard to pick out each kick hit, for example. Really only breaking the seal with slip editing and I'm not even sure I'm doing it properly. Split regions, ALT+Click and drag, correct?