What does it take to put together and run a site like Moshking.com?

Moshking

Aug 1, 2002
Azusa, CA
www.moshking.com
[FONT=&quot]As I like to do from time to time, I am posting the response to an email I received recently.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The questions was from someone who moved from Southern California to Dallas/Fort Worth, TX. She and her boyfriend wanted to fill a void in the area. Thus, the question:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What does it take to put together and run a site like Moshking.com?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My Answer:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am pretty knowledgeable about the Southern California Metal. However, when it comes to website development, I need help myself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Most of the updates to Moshking.com are done manually. I have templates for all sort of information for Moshking.com. It is just a matter of cutting and pasting once you have the information.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finding the correct information and keeping it current is what kills most of the time put into the site. Once the website is known, the information will come to you, as it does for me now. HOWEVER, some of that information is crap. So, it doesn’t hurts to confirm the information you receive via email, word of mouth, text messages, MySpace, flyers, forums, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any web-based database knowledge [something I don’t' have], put the database together. Make database content for bands, venues, promoters, news, and more. If you can get the site to where people can post their own information, all the better. HOWEVER, again, make sure the information posted is accurate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With reference to bringing traffic to the site, go to shows and flyer. Go to MANY shows and just introduce yourself to bands, attendees, and promoters. Where possible, hand out flyers, bumper stickers, and/or business cards during your introduction. Don’t pay for advertisement on other websites, magazines, or other media. That does not work anywhere near as well as meeting people, especially since your site will target a specific region.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Those are some of the basics. There is much more involved in maintaining the site. But, that’s to worry about after your site is launched.[/FONT]