What drives you as a muscian?

WarHead

Handful of Nothing
Aug 27, 2001
Virginia
Theres a shit load of obstacles that always get in the way of progress. Whether its flakey band members, a career, school, tragedy, lack of muscians in an area, ect.

What keeps you guys going? Love for music is an obvious one for me.

_chris_

Expression. I need to express my ideas, and my emotions. I find music to be a strong outlet to communicate those things with, and so what drives me as a musician is the desire to share these experiences with others. I want to connect to people, that if I change even just one person's life with my songs, it was all worth it.

what drives me as a musician?
Like what Silent Song said, Expression. Alot of feelings i get i can put out into music. Feeling the release is what i get, and the feelings you get back from listening to music.

just like people who needs medications to function, only music is my medication. just different forms.

Also knowing that there is never a time when you can learn everything, drives me to play and learn all the time, knowing that there is always something new to learn all the time.

Jamming with frieinds, listening to music with friends, hell i sleep to metal. Its also a way of socializing. Music plays a big part of my life, without it, i would get no were fast.

inspiration wise, Jeffery Loomis, every time i listen to him play...it drives me to play more and practice more...:headbang:

I must comment on this. When asked question like this, musicians always talk about their love for music, need to communicate to others and all those nice, beautiful things. In reality I see that this is enough to play withfriends on non-regular basis or to make some very personal music at home, just to satisfy personal needs for self expression. But if someone says that he is going thru all the shit that working as a musicians and building a career is because of need to communicate with others, well, 99% sure he/she is bullshitting.

Personally, I am not that nice, and my reasons are:
1. Because I wanted to be more loved by other people, more respected, more important even in my own eyes.
2. Because I wanted chicks, a lot of them
3. Because I wanted to be in a situation to show middle finger to everyone I hated when I was a kid and say something like "who is the boss now suckers"
4. Because I HAD TO. I felt urge like I am going to die if I don't do all that, play guitar, make songs, play live. Came to my parents with guitar as a kid and said "I will be a musician", and I'm still sticking to that
5. Because I hated regular life and working 8 to 4, 9 to 5 or whatever is usual working time there.
6. Because I get adrenalin injection when I'm onstage, always, and i LOVE it, not really better than sex, but sometimes...
7. Because it was helping me to save my sanity in some life periods, and got me thru crises

Anyone else or I am the only on that is not playing music only because of universal, unselfish love to mankind? :saint: :p

Dushan S said:
Anyone else or I am the only on that is not playing music only because of universal, unselfish love to mankind? :saint: :p

Yeah man, I know what your saying. I gave a general response, but every response here has some truth to my drive as a muscian.

I like the attention that being a performing muscian brings, especially with the ladies :D.

Another thing that keeps me consistantly practicing is other peoples lame egos. ;)

_chris_

agian, everyone has different reasons but it has all 1 major point, the love for music, no matter what its for. the addrenilion i get playing infront of people is awesome, gives me a chance to express myself, something i dont get much to do since i live with very strict parents...i turn 18 soon so fuck them. Metal forever

Another thing that keeps me consistantly practicing is other peoples lame egos.
You mean, they are not able to instantly recognize your superiority as a musician, so you have to practice even more, so it becomes very obvious? :guh: :p :D Yes, I have noticed that too, they just don't get it...:cool:
oh damn, its a bit of everything what you all said!
Dushan: theres quite a bit of truth in what you say ;)
Well, it is considerable bit I think :p
Although, on a more serious note, yes, we could do a lot of other things to get chicks respect etc, love for music is probably most important, but I wanted to mention those "other", "uglier" things... People seem to avoid to tell them, it does not sounds right, admiting that music is very often a prostetic for a tiny sized dick and bad childhood. :zombie:

Dushan S said:
...admiting that music is very often a prostetic for a tiny sized dick and bad childhood. :zombie:

WHO TOLD Y... er... I mean, what are you talking about?

Dunshan is fucking right. I do it because I want to get peoples attention and get a damn major deal. harhar OK, the chicks are a good reason too, also the money and the other "not nice" stuff. hehe
Seriously someone has to have a passion for music, cause without this noone will take him serious.
Most of the people I saw with tiny dicks drive a Porsche or a BMW here... :D

I usually play guitar/write songs for the love of music in general. but what I play really depends on how I intend. When I have agressions against something I paly fast songs to compense them. When I wanna increase my abilities I play technical stuff for sure, doesn't really matter what kind of music it is. When I have a lack of inspiration I try to play songs which I think are quite creative to get ideas.

Thraxz said:
WHO TOLD Y... er... I mean, what are you talking about?
khm... You remeber that annoying assh0le telling everyone that he can play faster than you? Well... He told me about your picking/plucking instrument.
Although, you know, it is not problem if it is small, for fast picking you just need strong right handand that it is thick enough, size does not matter ;) :devil:

Dunshan is fucking right. I do it because I want to get peoples attention and get a damn major deal. harhar OK, the chicks are a good reason too, also the money and the other "not nice" stuff. hehe
Seriously someone has to have a passion for music, cause without this noone will take him serious.
Most of the people I saw with tiny dicks drive a Porsche or a BMW here...
Hehe, Maybe they also have, natural passion and love for the cars, doing it all because of love for busty fellow humans, who knows :D Nothing makes you in balance with the universe and your inner self like meditating and than siting in a black porsche for a ride :saint:

Seriousy, I think that there is some kind of "calling", "karma" whatever to some people that end being succesfull musicians or at least spend their lives connected with music or any other form of art.
It is really hard to explain, but there is something that makes difference psychologically, and it is noticable. That "inner mark" (or whatever you want to call it) is needed because there is always few crossroads where people just liking to play and in love of music are separated of those that have deep need to be in music completely. Again, it is beyond intellect and logic, and I don't want to go into "Steve Vai on Acid" alike stories here, but there is some kind of voodoo at work definitely. Actually in few last years I started to very accuratelly recognize if guitar student I am giving classes to will be in music for a longer time or is just there for fun, seriously. The ones that will stay with their instrument have an urge to play, they just can't help it, they must do it, and are addicted to it in a very special way.

D-KOM said:
Most of the people I saw with tiny dicks drive a Porsche or a BMW here... :D

True in my opinion. But i dont really give a shit about cars or a nice home i just wanna play

I could never stop doing the music itself, but when it comes to annoying business matters, I just can't quit until I really try everything to succeed. I've nurtured the dream too long to let it go.

Self Improvement, I don't plan on being a professional musician so i really couldnt care what other people think, i just want to sound good.