What drum head tensions are you guys tuning to??

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
AND, another big question, do the DrumDial and Tama Tension Watch use different scales of measurement?? I keep seeing Glenn talking about tuning his toms down in the 50's and he uses a tension watch... but I picked up a DrumDial and the directions suggest not going below 70, and i have a hard time getting below the 70's when the lugs are a 1/4 turn past finger tight...

I know it's situational but I'm just curious, what are you DrumDial / Tension Watch users generally getting the best results from?? I'm trying to tune up a new (bought used) Premiere "artist select" birch kit in 10/12/14/22.

I built my own tension watch, but I find that tuning by ears is way better. I use it only to fine tune the heads.
It's very usefull to check the tensions between the various days of a session

yes the scales are different, i own a drumdial and 70 is more or less the minimum tension you want it to be.

-> http://mikedrums.com/drumdial.html

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS REPRESENT?
In a word, distance. The DrumDial measures 1/10th of an inch for every revolution of the needle. So each small line on the dial indicates 1/1000th of an inch. The Tama Tension Watch is metric and measures 1 millimeter for every revolution of the needle. So each small line on the dial indicates 1/100th of a millimeter, or 4 10,000ths of an inch. This means that if both the Tension Watch and DrumDial were to measure the same movement of distance, the dial readout needle on the Tension Watch would move 2-1/2 times as far as the DrumDial. Or, the Tension Watch would move 2-1/2 small marks for every 1 small mark on the DrumDial.