What good melodic metal has come out this year?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I'm talking melody, clean vox, shit hot guitar fookin' fury, etc.

Megadeth
Ayreon
Jag Panzer
Angra

Has anyone seen the Blind Guardian DVD?

JayKeeley said:
I'm talking melody, clean vox, shit hot guitar fookin' fury, etc.

Megadeth
Ayreon
Jag Panzer
Angra

Has anyone seen the Blind Guardian DVD?
Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins

A must purchase. This absolutely f'in smokes!! Furious, driving melodic metal in the vain of a Blind Guardian on speed without the fantasy power metal element. Clean vocals and blistering leads throughout. Has the lush sounding production of Euro metal, without the traditional Helloween/Stratovarius/Angra type sound. Far more aggressive and balls out.

If you enjoy it, I highly recommend their first full length as well (Roots of Eternity). :)

I would add "Mabool" to the list, the clean vocals are more than the "brutal " ones and its full of melody and guitar fury bla bla.
Also two Greek bands released great power metal albums:
Inner Wish - Silent Faces : in the vein of seattle metal bands like Fifth Angel, Lethal, Queensryche and some Iron Maiden in the mix too. GREAT album
Airged Lamh - The Silver Arm: epic power/speed metal influenced by early Helloween, some Blind Guardian, and some .. Jag Panzer, very good stuff.

Isis - Panopticon

I cannot see why any fan of real, true music (as art) would not like this (or Oceanic). The sound is friggin' huge, melodic, and beautiful. Vocals range from caveman grunts (not yells) to clean vocals, but Isis has always put the vocals behind the actual music. And with "Backlit", they have one of the best songs of the year. If you don't like this, quite frankly, you don't like music....and you're probably gayer than Richard Simmons.

That's my contribution.

If none of you guys have seen/heard/checked out 3 Inches Of Blood yet, you absolutely MUST DO SO.

I don't know where the fuck this band came from, but Roadrunner had the good sense to sign them up right quick. They are STELLAR. New album = "Advance & Vanquish" and it puts to shame anything I've heard in the past few years, including all the hyped "big" albums from other known power metal bands.

Bonus: they're from like, Detroit or something.

Oh yeah, that's the album cover over there in me avatar. Arr, a helmeted warrior, arrr!

J. Most Melodic Metal fans would find Isis too much for them; too heavy, to depressing, whats up with the singer- he cant sing, blah blah blah. Except for the guys on this site, most of them are fantasy loving, moralistic bastards.

speed said:
J. Most Melodic Metal fans would find Isis too much for them; too heavy, to depressing, whats up with the singer- he cant sing, blah blah blah. Except for the guys on this site, most of them are fantasy loving, moralistic bastards.
I can see what you mean, but c'mon, it's not like Isis is too technical, and it's not like they have standard hardcore yells.

THe music is melodic as hell, especially Panopticon, it's adventurous, and it's probably the album of the year.

Hell, Dave Mustaine can't sing, but people love him (for reasons other than his political stance I hope), so no one can complain about Aaron Turner.

But yeah, I see what you mean. Isis might be a little too good for most people. :p

BLAZE - Blood & Belief (bit of a step down actually!)
DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm
Intense - Second Sight
Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Can't remember any other new melodic albums I've bought this year :oops:

Dwarf dude, if you liked the debut you'd definately go for the new one. More of the same, but somewhat crazier. The guitar pyrotechnics are :eek:

HERMAN LI, GET A MOTHERFUCKING HAIRCUT!!
Dragon02.JPG

:lol:

Some additional CDs:

Aina - Days of the Rising Doom
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Danzig - Circle of Snakes
Evergrey - The Inner Circle
Fates Warning - FWX
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Magnitude 9 - Decoding the Soul
Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Metal Church - Weight of the World
Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast
Riverside - Out of Myself
Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi

Zod

Yeah we totally agree on this one J. I made my rather caustic statements based on personal experiences trying to get melodic and prog metal fans just listen to Isis. Once they hear the singer, they say it is beneath them. Goddamn prejudiced bastards.

speed said:
Yeah we totally agree on this one J. I made my rather caustic statements based on personal experiences trying to get melodic and prog metal fans just listen to Isis. Once they hear the singer, they say it is beneath them. Goddamn prejudiced bastards.
ANd these same people listen to James Labrie? :err: :lol:

I've listened to Isis, their most recent album (or, their most recent album as of mid-2003). Musically, it was very good but just didn't "grip" me. I should probably set aside some time where I could concentrate on it and pay attention. The guy's vocals didn't bother me at all, they fit IMO.

What was that other alt-hardcore band that Nate was always going on about. Not Converge, another one. Their name was all in lowercase with periods before & after. I got one of their albums, it fucking pwnd me.

.hopesfall.

They have since dropped the periods, and it is now Hopesfall, at least on their average latest album. THeir EP (forgot the name) is the best thing they ever did, awesome stuff.