What headphones mixing/mastering?

Adee

Apr 5, 2013
London, England
Hi. I consider to buy pair of good cans for mixing/mastering. I have read lots of posts about it but time goes by so quickly and companies produce new or improve older models and posts could be already outdated.

Therefore I have a choice of a few models at similar price range so I'm a little bit confused now...
I had borrowed from my friendly radio station Beyerdynamic 770pro (250 Ohm) ones and I was quite impressed - extremely comfortable and sounded pretty good but didn't like boomines and very upfront midrange.

Generaly I use M-audio or KRK monitors to check final mix but mostly I use headphones during mixing stage so I need the perfect closed or semi open headphones. Unfortunately each make and model of headphones sounds different so I made my "wish list" and need your help guys. The question is: which ones for metal/rock mixing/mastering?

ATH-M50s
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDR 7509HDs
Beyerdynamic 770 PRO
Shure SRH840
KRK KNS 8400
AKG K240 Studio (semi open)
AKG K 702 (semi open, the most expensive but acceptable :heh:

I've got the Shure srh940 (closed) and they're great. Another good pair of headphones you should consider are the Beyerdynamic 880 (semi open). But in the end, the best cans are the ones that work for you. So try them all and find your pair of headphones.

I have m50s and they are very good but also very flattering.
They remind me of big studio main monitors that you crank to impress the client.
I wanted a small flat folding pair of cans for leaving in my laptop bag to bring everywhere and got a pair of Sony MDR-V55.
They have shocked me at how revealing they are for imbalances and frequency problems.
If your mix is muddy in the low mids these let you know of if you have spikes at 4-6k it is really obvious.
Between these and my Focal Twins I am sorted.
I love the Sonys so much and have become so reliant on them that I have a second pair still in the box in case the first ones pack in or get lost etc.

Thanks for great sugestions :)
I still consider ATH-M50s
Senhs 650 to expensive :(
DT880 - price acceptable :)
Shure srh940 - similar price to DT880

So... maybe DT880 would be the best choice?

As DAV said that the best cans are the ones that work for me - that's true but its quite difficult to find all of these headphones in one place and test them.

Standard response from me: AKG K701/K702/Q701's for general mixing tasks, ATH-M50's for checking bass. No single set of headphones can do the whole job, but these two will do it extremely well together.

"Will Putney mixed and mastered the entire third album from The Amity Affliction—which went on to hit number one
on the Australian charts—on a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 Open-Aire headphones in his bedroom."

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/aussie-hit-album-mixed-on-headphones/15734

I have the ATH-M50s' and for me, they work very good for balancing frequencies in a mix,
but I usually need to adjust some volume levels after listening to a M50s' mix through Adam A7X's.

The only one's I actually own are the HD-280's. I've had them for years and always been happy with their sound quality and comfort. However, they are definitely light on the bass IMO, so if you're used to getting more bass out of your HPs you might want to consider some of the other options you listed.

I wont pretend to have experience with most of the headphones your considering but I own the Shure Srh940's and they are fantastic, Im really considering the open backs that they sell for a bit more.

"Will Putney mixed and mastered the entire third album from The Amity Affliction—which went on to hit number one
on the Australian charts—on a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 Open-Aire headphones in his bedroom."

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/aussie-hit-album-mixed-on-headphones/15734

This is not entirely accurate. He was in Andrew Glover's bedroom, and he had a pair of Creative computer speakers, too. :lol:

In all seriousness though, he did have his entire mix rig with him (which consists of Distressors, LA3As, a Chameleon Labs comp, a C2, Speck EQs, and a Finalizer) and the tracks he received were pretty stellar to begin with. IIRC he didn't do anything to the vocals besides wet FX on that mix.

That's not to take away from Putney - I'm friends with the guy and he is immeasurably talented but it's not like the headphones are what made the mix by any means. The real "holy shit" factor of that mix IMO is that he did it on off-hours of producing the new Winds of Plague record; after long days of tracking he'd stay up super late mixing that record instead of sleeping, and both records turned out great. The guys work ethic is incredible.

me. I have tried many, included the akg and sennheisers, and there is just no comparison. I have used to mix, although a pair of monitors will result much more realistic. Mastering with headphones, instead, it's just a bad idea, even with the best headphones in the market.

me. I have tried many, included the akg and sennheisers, and there is just no comparison. I have used to mix, although a pair of monitors will result much more realistic. Mastering with headphones, instead, it's just a bad idea, even with the best headphones in the market.

1000% right mate. I have 2 pairs of decent monitors but I need good headphones too. I can't hear some frequencies using monitors and viceversa, I can't hear some with headphones on ears :) It strikes a happy medium :)
BTW I have visited your blog many times - it helped me a lot!!!!! Well done!