What if Metallica never sold out?

I dont see how Stanger can be enjoyable.....lars's new trashcan tama drumset, 2nd grade lyrics, songs with no direction or structure, repetetive songs, downtuning just to sound acceptable, NO SOLOS, off key singing, the whole album reeks of filth IMO :yuk:

ElectricWiz said:
Anyway, if they just made Master of Puppets over and over I really think people would be bitching about that.

:bah:

Do you hear any bitching about AC/DC not changing their sound? Do bands who play good music and yet stick with what they do well, lose their fanbase? Or does it grow? :Smug:

#1_Droogie said:
BREAKING NEWS
OVERKILL's Bobby Ellsworth to do a duet with pop-singer Christina Aguilara. They have just entered the studio, and will begin recording this month. When asked about this move Blitz commented "I've always wanted to go pop...but just never had the chance. Now I can show my true emotions." Further news shall be posted in the next few weeks. :OMG: :OMG:
:lol: I forgot hell had frozen over

rokk said:
:bah:

Do you hear any bitching about AC/DC not changing their sound? Do bands who play good music and yet stick with what they do well, lose their fanbase? Or does it grow? :Smug:

Exactly! Same with Motorhead, Cryonic Temple, Sentenced ("Down" and above), Candlemass (with Messiah), Hammerfall, Freedom Call, Goddess Of Desire, Yngwie Malmsteen, and many other bands who stick to a formula and keep doing it for the satisfaction of the fans, not for the glory of the almighty dollar and MTV.

^ Well, when a band stops any kind of evolution sometimes the songwriting starts to decline right after... evolution can be a great thing (see Bathory), it doesn't necessarily equal selling out or becoming greedy.
Judas Priest and Queensrÿche changed a lot during their career and that's another reason why I love them. It doesn't mean that I always like the result, but I respect a band who tries not to sound exactly the same album after album.

i can see why metallica did it, if theres gonna be more money in the pot by appealing to a wider audience, why not? but as a metallica fan, i am personally embarrased having Load, Reload and St Anger in next to the likes of Rock in Rio, Hatecrew Deathroll, Nymphetamine, Vol 3: Subliminal etc.

Impossible question to answer but I will say this. I'm not sure they wouldn't have changed their sound even if Cliff didn't die. I remember reading an interview with him not long before his death and he was into bands like REM at the time as well as metal. So he was more open to other forms of music than some people may think.

I enjoyed the s/t album, think it's better than AJFA. If james did not burn his arm metallica could have put out another great cd in 93 progressing from the s/t. Metallica's s/t album easily is the bands most progressive,well written material. They did not get to progress from it. I don't think Metallica sold out until 'load'.

Paradise Lost 'Icon' is almost what Metallica could have sounded like.

I am gonna go with Pumpkin on this the only Metallica album I like at all is Kill em All. Metallica may have died with Cliff but was given a death sentence when Dave left.

i dont agree. I prefere Kirk, he is a much better guitarist. I see where your coming from, people prefere the original line up. Just think if Mustaine wasnt booted out you would not have had Megadeth, and I believe that Metallica wouldnt be half the band it is today.

hmm,if metallica hadnt sold out?
its hard to say if they did,or whether its just musical progression.dont get me wrong,i fkin love thier first 4 albums,and from the black album,consider them basically another band,with the god damned bob rock at the helm.
some of you guys might remember that i'm not his biggest fan.
"bob rock must die"

if cliff had still been alive,i think they would have gone a little more mainstream,but been much more interesting.tho saying that,some of the songs from load/reload were excellent-bleeding me/the outlaw torn are brilliant songs.

i just find it sad that they didnt do more albums of the calibur of mop and ajfa