What if Steven Wilson produced Katatonia?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Khayman666 said:
Perhaps what they need is the sort of inventive injection that Opeth received, when they worked with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson on 'Blackwater Park'.
Ever since I bought the new Katatonia album, I've been going through the older posts, including this not so well-received thread. While I don't agree with the reviewer, I found it pretty cool how he mentioned Steven Wilson.

Come to think of it, what'd it be like if Wilson were to produce a Katatonia album in the future?

Any comments? I think it would be awesome.

NP: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Have you heard Porcupine Tree's Deadwing or Paatos' Kallocain? Happy-sounding? What about Opeth's Damnation?

Well, they're almost as dark as any post-Brave Murder Day Katatonia discs to these ears. Not to mention, Wilson's dynamics is unparalleled too.

batmura said:
Have you heard Porcupine Tree's Deadwing or Paatos' Kallocain? Happy-sounding? What about Opeth's Damnation?

Well, they're almost as dark as any post-Brave Murder Day Katatonia discs to these ears. Not to mention, Wilson's dynamics is unparalleled too.

If I think of music as pictures, Katatonia's music would be black&white with strong contrast. Steven Wilson's sound however would be soft sepia.. just wouldn't work well.

"No good can come of this..."
Really. His vision of music seems to be very different from Katatonia. And if people are doing great producing themselves, I doubt they need anyone else to produce them, and it doesn't matter if it is Steve Wilson, Peter Tägtgren or God himself.

Wilson's production is too warm in my opinion. It wouldn't fit with Katatonia's somewhat detached music. Maybe if they did an acoustic album, but otherwise stay away.

the mourner13 said:
It wouldn't be bad,but I'd prefer Dan Swanö.He'a genius and the way he's thinking is really in the veins of Katatonia.

i guess its time let me refresh yer memories here...

Dan Swanö (quote) "With Katatonia… I think they are a bit too depressed and heavy for my personal taste. I like this kind of music to be more like Hoobastank or even stuff like Disturbed."

now does that sound like his thinking is in the veins of katatonia?

ok good...

as for wilson, we were actually thinkin of gettin him onboard around lfdgd times, but it stayed at "thinking" and never happened and as far as im concerned, myself and jonas have grown into a stable/magic and "no compromise" producer team for the katatonia albums and its a "take it or leave it" situation...
cheerz

Blakkheim said:
excuse me?!?

Dan Swanö (quote) "With Katatonia… I think they are a bit too depressed and heavy for my personal taste. I like this kind of music to be more like Hoobastank or even stuff like Disturbed."

haha :D i remember a biography i read somewhere. there stood something about the recording sessions of BMD. dan pulled jonas out of the studio to shout at him why he "forces" anders to create those strange sounds on his guitar, because he thought this would ruin the whole record ^^ is this a true story blakkheim?

dan likes the well-structured songs with "beautiful" sounding melodies. dan is totally different from katatonia. just listen to the songs dan wrote on bloodbaths "nightmares made flesh" and then listen to the songs anders and jonas wrote. you'll see the difference.

Weathered said:
haha :D i remember a biography i read somewhere. there stood something about the recording sessions of BMD. dan pulled jonas out of the studio to shout at him why he "forces" anders to create those strange sounds on his guitar, because he thought this would ruin the whole record ^^ is this a true story blakkheim?

dan likes the well-structured songs with "beautiful" sounding melodies. dan is totally different from katatonia. just listen to the songs dan wrote on bloodbaths "nightmares made flesh" and then listen to the songs anders and jonas wrote. you'll see the difference.

the story is true yes. it all boils down to the fact that dan doesnt like the use of dissonances, expecially not blended in together with "correct" and beautiful harmonies by the book. in these situations, we often refered to old influences from gregor mackintosh of paradise lost's as a unique style, but dan was consistent to let us know he hated that guys playing so bad. so that is where we really went terribly apart, musically.

i dont think bloodbath is a really good example of where the differences are if u really wanna hear them. take a look at swanö's nightingale instead. it's the best example of the exact opposite music to katatonia; happy, lightweight and cheezy.

Well, I can't imagine how a Katatonia record would be with Steven Wilson as a producer. But, it wouldn't be bad.

madu said:
AAAH NO. Wilson's production is too clean and happy-sounding for Katatonia.

madu said:
Dan nowadays wouldn't be a good idea at all, modern Nightingale sounds even happier and poppier than In Absentia. But his production for Morningrise was fucking brilliant.
In Absentia - clean, happy and poppy?????!!! It's sure that you aren't a porcupine tree fan and you know a few things about them. So, you shouldn't hurry to say such things.
First what I see in absentia when I get it into my hands
- The cover: A pretty disturbing image, with a man with no eyes, lke something between dead and alive. It looks like he's suffering.
- The lyrics: "Telling the story of a child growing up and becoming a serial killer" I read this from a source, and I absolutely agree. The opening song say "mother sings a lullaby to child sometime in the future the boy goes wild..".- and then - I got people underneath my bed, I got a place where all my dreams are dead..."
And a taste of some other lyrics in this album
''Strip the Soul'' that says, ''...strip the soul, kill 'em all''
'' The Creator Has A Mastertape'' that says ''He worked himself into the ground, and drove a spike through his head, a voice said are you happy know? his sordid home is running red.
- The video of Strip the Soul: A man holding a saw, cutting flesh, and other disturbing images.
- The songs: there are some heavy and fast songs like ''Blackest Eyes'', ''The creator had a mastertape''. There are also some very depressing sons like ''Heartatack in a lay by'' ''Prodigal''. There are some creepy songs like ''Gravity Eyelids'',''3'', ''Strip the Soul''.......
I could wirte more, but then it would be a review of the album.
BUT, my point is: Do you still think that it sounds happy? Well, it doesn't to me

Blakkheim said:
i dont think bloodbath is a really good example of where the differences are if u really wanna hear them. take a look at swanö's nightingale instead. it's the best example of the exact opposite music to katatonia; happy, lightweight and cheezy.

yeah that's a point! bloodbath doesn't sound happy *lol* but despite the fact that bloodbath is something totally different, i heard the differences between your ways of writing songs from the first listen on :) i remember mikeal also figured it out, without knowing who of you wrote which song.

madu said:
Eh, it's just the overall clean, dreamy sound of the production, rather than the actual content. Katatonia's lyrics and music would be dark even if Wilson produced the albums, but the sound certainly wouldn't.

...I see, in this point I agree with you :). There is a dreamy sound in pt's songs indeed, especially in the old matterial that was more psychedelic. I just got angry for the '' poppy '' :p