What in the name of metal is wrong here??

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey, so been browsing the forum a lot lately. just been spending years trying to get my metal tone, finished by buying an engl powerball, i am using a legacy cab, and for this purpose, a singal sm57.

Its somewhere in the middle, close to the area the cone meets the dustcap a little off axis. 1 cm away. closer to the cone and it really too harsh.

But hey, what have i been missing??? is that good sound? to me it sounds a little bit shitty, maybe i am over demanding. but i dont know. ivew seen people here getting AMAZ"ING resaults with the same gear level i have.

ITs an sm 57. first take is through my SOundcraft mixer PREs, second one is through focusright pres..
Soundcard is an RME.

http://soundcloud.com/firstva/untitled
so
what am i miissing??

EDIT:

I feel like something is going on with the pre's gain. when boosting it upp, i get that loud in your fice sound with clear mids, but its becomes really fuzzy on the bottoms, even makes it smaller. when reducing the gain, the guitar sounds "breathes
" more, but then it doesnt sound in your face anymore

Hey man. It sounds fine to me. Just double track it and then play around with some eq. As long as all the frequencies are recorded you can boost/cut afterwards. Personally i like double mic'ing a cab to give it more depth, but that's a whole process because of phasing.

Hey man. It sounds fine to me. Just double track it and then play around with some eq. As long as all the frequencies are recorded you can boost/cut afterwards. Personally i like double mic'ing a cab to give it more depth, but that's a whole process because of phasing.

it sounds fine, but i dont find it good, or a good tone. very thin i think. can't i achieve a MUCH better resault with a single 57?

It's a good sound. You'll have to have the bass to contribute it and drums as well. Kick drum can be a huge part of what the guitar sound actually ends up to be in the mix. Also, you'll notice a difference in sonarity when you double track it.