what is in your recording rack?

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
alright dudes, im in a pickle.

im not sure if i should start to make a rack, because it would save some space and could be helpful, but all i have is a firestudio tube, and i have no idea what else i would want in my recording rack, so what do you have in yours, and if i did this, what would you recommend?
OR.
my macbook is becoming outdated and moving kinda slow on its 2gb of ram and 160gb hd. should i build a hackintosh? I dont have 1500 bones to drop on a MPB or an iMac. and i use logic, so Snow Leopard is a necessity. a hackintosh is a lot less than that, and can be better.

i just wanted some opinon. thanks guys.

Better computer means you'll be able to track and pump out mixes for bands a lot faster and they'll probably sound better because you can really go nuts on extra processing if needed.

Expand your rack when YOU think you need to. Personally, new computer makes more sense. It's actually going to be my next purchase! =D

thanks guys, considering all of you said the same thing, i trust you all.

idk if anyone on this forum has built a hackintosh, im assuming someone has. but i was thinking about making a thread about it at some point concerning choosing the right components for recording. such as a motherboard with firewire ect ect.

Hackintoshes aren't terribly difficult to build, but they can be easy to screw up and jade all the parts you just bought. Right now no hackintosh parts (that I know of) support thunderbolt, but I'm sure that's not a huge issue to you.

yeah i originally made the hackintosh to sit in my studio and do tracking through firewire, and it works fine, it also allows me to use pci/e cards (now looking at the uad-1) i couldnt do that with my macbook pro. i kinda have ocd and made the hackintosh into an old mac g5 metal case(it looks legit!)

i may-be overstating this but; if you work primarily in-the-box, your computer is the most important piece of equipment you will need to buy/maintain/upgrade.

the cheapest - relatively "best" - hackintosh being built costs about $800... but even on a pro audio standard it's only a number crunching machine and far from the recommended specifications of most daw developers (pro tools, cubase etc).

the least expensive mac available at retail is the mac mini; $579 (with student discount) - $599 (without discount).

this machine will out-perform the standard $800 hackintosh in question (as well as maintain a more comprehensive support to the hardware by the manufacture -apple-) and based on the specs, it will adhere to at least the minimum requirements of even the most fundamental daw.

i think the world's cheapest hackintosh build was around $350... and i'm certain you wouldn't be able to run even the most simple, pro tools/logic/cubase tasks required by the average digital editor.

my point is; i see a lot of corner-cutting in the realm of digital audio by a lot of kids on this forum (and other places)... it's almost as if a bunch of y'all sit down and plan; "what is the best way i can sound like -this- without having to spend a dime?" i know a bunch of you are not like that but statistics have already proven by the overwhelming occurrence of software piracy in this industry. which lends to my point even further; no one wants to pay for something they truly do not care about... a proximity "passion".

the benefit of buying all this crazy expensive equipment, software, acoustic treatment etc. is documenting the expenses for itemized tax deductions in an effort to reduce the annual income of your legitimate business, thus providing a significant profit from real clients that you provide a service to while also creating an economic viability to the community you live in. not to mention building something you can actually be proud of.

with all that said: if you are a windows user, build a windows machine! (simple). if you are a mac user, buy an apple machine! (simple).

don't cut corners. ;)

I would for real just buy a mac mini instead... Me and my computer wiz friend built a hackintosh and even though it had better specs the mac mini works so much better

Exactly what Tim said. If you're serious about this line of work (be that hobby or professional) you need to "pay the bucks", in the great words of the even greater Tad Donnley. One important factor I've taken from being an engineer is dont cut corners and drop money on half arsed products that will only suite you for the time being. Dont just say "hmm I'm mixing through a pair of Logictech PC speakers right now, I'll "upgrade" and get some Behringer XXs". I'm not saying Behringer whatevers are shit (usually anything by behringer is shit though) its just an example and you get the idea.

Think about the basic fundamentals you will need to run a stable, fast, reliable studio and think about what will benefit you most in the long run. I'm not saying go drop 5k on some nice pres, but just get the basics down first. Make sure you are working in a nice enviroment with a great set up.

I blabbed. Probably didnt make sense at points. Its 2:30am. Sue me!

EDIT: Realised the Logictech/Behringer comparison was a bit shit. Meh

timislegend said:
statistics have already proven by the overwhelming occurrence of software piracy in this industry.

Not to get off topic, but as a guy who uses mostly free stuff, this drives me crazy.
I hate seeing threads "Why does my mix suck I used pod farm slate ozone L2 waves this and that vintage warmer etc." And it sounds like my first mix. I mean yeah maybe one of those dudes just has money to blow but I see it everywhere. -.-

Also agreed with everything tim said. Like always lol