What is the coldest and most necro song or album?

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
I've seen several threads on UM about what "heavy" is and which band, album, or song people think is the epitome of heavy. All these lead to is a realization that the term has such varied understanding that used as an adjective, without previous definition, it is pointless.

I was reading a review on metal archives and I saw this: "To be sure, 'Ferly Centesms' is pure, raw, atmospheric Black Metal; more so even than the first album, which is nearer to this, except that this is much icier and necro."

Wtf does that mean? Does this actually have meaning to anyone? Is the meaning more widely agreed upon than that of heaviness?

I've seen such terms as cold and necro used so often I don't know if they're a joke or not. If such are not a joke, I ask for an attempt at explanation or at least an example.

Transilvanian hunger fer sure. but the production on Battles in the north is prettyfukkin Nekro. Can't get much colder than that. Razor sharp.

From the ways I've seen the term "necro" being used, it seems it usually refers to a minimalistic and "dry" sound of the production of an album. Is so then perhaps Ildjarn is to be regarded as the most necro of them all, but his black metal music is pretty sucky, so I'd rather go with Transilvanian Hunger.

But on the other hand I think musical necro/coldness is more than just the result of a certain way of recording and producing an album; the lyrics, general atmosphere etc is, I think, equally important which of course makes the term utterly subjective and pretty useless in a discussion

My definition of necro is "extremely cold, hateful and raw". There are quite a few albums that meets this criteria:

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust
Ildjarn - Son Of The Northstar, etc.
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
Behexen - By The Blessing Of Satan
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Koldbrann - Nekrotisk Inkvisition
Satanic Warmaster - Of The Night..

We also have the more polished, but still pretty damn necro records:

Tsjuder - Demonic Possession, Desert Northern Hell
1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse, Liberation
Dødheimsgard - Monumental Possession
Belfegor - The Kingdom Of Glacial Palaces (decent "Battles In The North"-worship)

French Black Legion bands and most NSBM bands are pretty necro too, at least in my book.

I feel that my stash of Moonblood rehearsals pretty much fits the grade. It's definately partly a production thing, I'd say, where you can have guitars and drums lost together in an icy wall of white noise. It might seem like a copout to use the word 'icy' so much but what's just what it sounds like!

Although, I don't define these kind of albums as 'heavy' as such. It's a different kind of 'heavy', I guess, but to think of it as just 'heaviness' (oh god, this is looking awful :loco: ) is to kind of miss the point somewhat. True heaviness to me are bonecrunching power chords, crashing down with razor sharp precision! :heh:

Henrik Main said:
My definition of necro is "extremely cold, hateful and raw". There are quite a few albums that meets this criteria:

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust
Ildjarn - Son Of The Northstar, etc.
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
Behexen - By The Blessing Of Satan
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Koldbrann - Nekrotisk Inkvisition
Satanic Warmaster - Of The Night..

We also have the more polished, but still pretty damn necro records:

Tsjuder - Demonic Possession, Desert Northern Hell
1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse, Liberation
Dødheimsgard - Monumental Possession
Belfegor - The Kingdom Of Glacial Palaces (decent "Battles In The North"-worship)

French Black Legion bands and most NSBM bands are pretty necro too, at least in my book.

One correction I must make :p otherwise, perfect. As far as Anaal Nathrakh I think "Satanachrist" takes the cake, despite its horrible, almost cliche title the song itself is totally necro.

E-bortion said:
One correction I must make :p otherwise, perfect. As far as Anaal Nathrakh I think "Satanachrist" takes the cake, despite its horrible, almost cliche title the song itself is totally necro.

Correction: You're talking albums -_- I'm talking drunk. Yeah, so it's 2 in the afternoon. If a crackhead can get his fix at six in the morning, I can take a few shots to pep myself up for the day.

E-bortion said:
Correction: You're talking albums -_- I'm talking drunk. Yeah, so it's 2 in the afternoon. If a crackhead can get his fix at six in the morning, I can take a few shots to pep myself up for the day.

Haha, no worries. Glad you liked my list anyhow. :cool: