What is the deal with this genre?

I am honestly just very curious, and I do care. I get told all the time to learn how to mic properly, to learn from the ground up etc.

I'm just curious if Joey uses his Pod almost 100% of the time. Because then to me, it just shows the whole if it works it works thing right ;)

Anyway, I really would like to know how often he actually mics a cab and goes to the effort, or if he just dials a few digital knobs :)

Not that it's a bad thing, just curious :)

I am honestly just very curious, and I do care. I get told all the time to learn how to mic properly, to learn from the ground up etc.

I'm just curious if Joey uses his Pod almost 100% of the time. Because then to me, it just shows the whole if it works it works thing right ;)

Anyway, I really would like to know how often he actually mics a cab and goes to the effort, or if he just dials a few digital knobs :)

dude what you're asking is so infinitely unimportant it makes me want to vomit

recording isnt about hooking up cables and plugging things in, and setting up microphones and turning every single knob every single time...

why do you insist that you're so uber because you re-invent the wheel everytime you sit down to record?

tell me, when you whipe your ass, do you make your own toilet paper every time? do you cut it into little squares?

sure, i can see how its wrong to take one kick sample, one snare sample, and one pre-fabricated guitar tone, and record every band that walks the earth. but im NOT doing that. im also not sitting down and making a new kick or snare every single time. its not necessary. I have several different kicks and snares, toms, cymbals, guitar tones, effects, shit even different amounts of editing goes into each cd. and they DONT sound the same, so you don't have that argument. You can say they sound the same to you, if you want, but I'd go get your ears checked.

Even people like andy sneap aren't making a brand new tone from scratch every time. I'm sure that when andy reaches for the compressor on the snare track, he has a starting point of settings. Just like everyone else, ME INCLUDED.

so get off your throne, because you're an IDIOT if you're going through every single step every single time. More importantly, You're also waisting your clients' time! Hobby or not!

Totally...

Can you refresh my memory, how many of those *didn't* use POD or Slate please???

have you used pod or slate?

do you realize there's literally millions of combinations with each of those?

metaphorically speaking, you're saying that only one band or one producer can only use a mesa amp on one album, and never use that mesa amp ever again

that is straight retarded

to answer your question bluntly, i have a range of sound presets to choose from, and i bring those up and then tweak from there.

its how the real world works. even with actual amps, or drums, or even vocal settings.

Joey~

Seriously mate, you don't need to chuck a fit at me for what I ask. I never once said anything wrong about what you do, in fact i EXPLICITY stated, if it works for you and you DON'T mic up amps, then it's a point towards if it works it works doesn't matter the means etc.... Yet you feel you need to put words in my mouth and attack attack me for it, congrats for you :)

I never said that I was 'Uber', neither did i claim to 'sit on a throne" of any sort... Unless drum thrones count, but I highly doubt you meant that, because I'm pretty sure they don't come with the Slate samples.. *If we are going to jump to conclusions of course....

I'm asking questions from the perspective of someone who ISN'T doing this as a profession, but is definitely getting more involved as I grow not only as a musician but, I guess audiophile as well *I believe thats the word here? Someone who IS trying to learn the basics vs presets and all in between!

From my background, I'm used to engineers micing the amp, playing with the settings, pre's, mic placement etc trying to get whatever tone fits, works, sounds different etc and this goes for drums as well. I mean, what you do is all you man, you are the one making the money not me. But it seems to me, and this is MY OPINION, I speak on only my own behalf...

But it seems like ur on the copy/ paste trail of this business. Bands come in, go out... Getting the same result each time, sounding mostly similar to eachother blah blah, life goes on. Your mixes are fantastic, I can't stand the bands, but I see your work obviously, but going by posts I've read on here... It almost seems like you've become this glorified pro bedroom mixer by proxy with what you use. Mind you, I'm not saying you are, but I'm going by linkage ofcourse! You've mastered it, and that's great, because bands are coming to you left right and center, but really, wheres the definition of separation! When are you a PRO when using *bedroom* gear? Is it WHEN you make money?? It's an interesting question.

I think, as you say about the real world not being from scratch yada yada, that's true. But at the same time, theres a lot of difference from micing an amp to using the pod for what you do. You essentially DON'T have the choice of sounding THAT different to yourself for MANY reasons that I can't be bothered posted, but I'm sure you know that. I just don't see how anyone, pro ametaur whatever can just go, "Yeah sweet, I have a pod mission complete" and yet never truly compare there ability as an engineer by micing up an amp etc to achieve = or better results.

Just stumped by the logic. Or is it merely like a safety button where you are spared the margin of error by doing things that way and can thus, pump out a quicker, imediately acceptable to begin with product??

And these questions are serious I want addressed, I'm not asking for the sake of arguing, this board does that enough. I just don't really know why people here bother with amps when it's obvious you achieve mainstream income and production with much less and most *pro* guys here are obviously still making less/ doing less than you. Just curious on your thoughts man that's all!

And I promise if you don't put words in my mouth I won't be at all condescending next time, it's a little hard to hold back when you get crap thrown at you for seeking knowledge to begin with! I don't have the net speed to google your stuff atm sadly!

Dude let it die or you'll end up getting banned like I did.
After the confusion about why Joey does things the way he does comes the rage.
After the rage comes to insults
After the insults comes the ban
After the ban comes the drama
After the drama comes the slow clawing back of respect

Not worth it.
Joey prescribes to one way of doing things, and for example Ermz subscribes to another way of doing things. If I was to choose one guy out of those two to record an album for me, it would be Ermin because I prefer his approach, but whatever. They both have their ways of working and I don't think any amount of criticism or insults will make either of them change.

Cheers dude, I undestand, I don't plan to get banned, because I'm not going to sit here insulting him. I feel no need to. What I will do is point out how that is exactly what HE did when I ask some questions. If my questions garnered such a response, then his insecurities belong to him, and I'm here to keep as cool a mind as possible!

But thanks for the advice haha! And yes I agree with what you wrote, that's why I really look forward to a hopefully fulfilling production with Ermin when it comes album time for my band! Got some pre production going on now, it's a pretty damn exciting process :p