what is this ultra bright guitar tone?

xiaodong

New Metal Member
Oct 19, 2016

What im talking about is something like this.
I measured their guitar eq, they both have more high end above 7000hz than mine
I know they may not only high shelf guitar track. I guess they use harmony exciter? or could you please tell me what effect or combination can give me that brightness ?
Im confused because I was told to cut off at 8700hz-10000hz.
but should I use something to create make-up bright distortion?

additional saturation (tape being a common kind of saturation used on guitars) may create content up there. It is different from what the mics are recording out of the speakers, and usually more pleasing, as long as it´s not greatly overdone :thumbsup:

Also, some prefer not to low pass the guitars and only cut annoying frequencies in order to keep the air in the tracks, so don't take the "cut above [...]" for word.

Reactions: xiaodong
To me it sounds like there's a lot of 8k or so in the tone. I've not confirmed that on these specific recordings or anything, but I find that it has the same kind of feel I've found with a few guitar tones I've seen over the years where there is a decent amount of 8k or so in there for "air". It's almost like static noise when it's that low in the frequency spectrum, but it kinda works in some cases, I find.

I know for a fact that Colin re-amped the Powerless Rise guitars with a 6505, Mesa cab, 57 and 421 mics.

I saw the set up and got to take a look in the mixing sessions. He's just really good at dialing in an amp. There wasn't a ton of eq that I remember, mostly a few cuts in areas with annoying fizz.

The source tone being correct, and good mastering is really all that's at work there.