What is YOUR favorite metal song ? What is the definitive oldschool metal song ?

I don't have a favorite song overall, but at the moment it would be Too Young to Fall in Love by Mötley Crüe.

The definitive heavy metal song would be Iron Man by Black Sabbath. Heavy, memorable, groove feel, and dark.

Last edited:
Too Fast For Love is such a freaking cool rock/metal release. I was lucky enough to have a friend who bought it when it came out. Great times !!

Bryant

I don't have a favorite song overall, but at the moment it would be Too Young to Fall in Love by Mötley Crüe.

The definitive heavy metal song would be Iron Man by Black Sabbath. Heavy, memorable, groove feel, and dark.

Favorite song? man I think the answer to that question changes every week, so I'll answer for this week: Sepultura - Desperate Cry

Definitive old school metal song? I'm between The Trooper, rainbow in the dark or paranoid. Can't decide.

well for the sake of this thread (i.e. others reading the posts should get some kind of a different insight on the question, not just who my or another's favorite song happens to be) I'm going to say God of Emptiness because I think all of the metal that preceded it allowed for Morbid Angel to push the envelope that far, in a way that's meaningful. I see it a bit as a historical document. You take what metal is in, say, the late 70's, what it is during all of the 80's (all of that shredding thrashy sterotype stuff), and then God of Emptiness (written around 92, released officially 93) and it's absolutely incredible what metal had achieved.

So I'll just answer the first question, and choose G.O.Emptiness by MA, because of how it transformed the metal sound. And I think it qualifies for "Old School metal" because it's a pioneer track, before the exponential explosion of bands that erupted afterwards. Yes death metal is second wave of metal (after thrash, heavy, etc), but it's still a fundamental development of that tradtional metal sound and the history of early metal and death metal are intertwined. Like, Morbid Angel are "classic", despite being a 90's band.

More largely, I wouldn't say Death metal is a late phenomenon, it may have established itself as a distinct subgenre relatively later, but its essence was shared and brewed and growing in those late 70's/80's bands.

For me the definitive old school metal song would sit somewhere between Sabbath's Paranoid and Priest's Painkiller.

Favourite song would change all the time but currently it would be something upbeat and light hearted like almost anything Alestorm does.

Reactions: Wyvern
My favorite metal song? Probably ‘The Learning’ from Nevermore.

Favorite old school song? ‘Chemical Warfare’ from Slayer.

Its hard to pick one. Right now I've been blasting Voices of the Dead by Kreator a lot, so I guess its my current favorite.

Its a beatiful track, truly a masterpiece:

Ive always had trouble getting into Kreator but now it seems a lot easier.

Ive always had trouble getting into Kreator but now it seems a lot easier.

Same to me.

Still with the passing of time I collected "Extreme Aggression", "Coma Of Souls", "Outcast", "Endorama" (my favorite) and "Gods Of Violence" which ended as the best album of last year in my list. Gonna pick "Phantom Antichrist" soon.

I have many favourite rock / metal songs. Instead of quoting the usual lot, I am reminded of there being such a huge huge amount of metal / rock music that is forgotten. Have a listen to `Tokyo Tapes` by Scorpions with Ulrich Roth on guitar, a classic album full of gems, such as Dark Lady, In a Trance, and We`ll Burn the Sky. Almost every song on that album is great, even the Scorpions take on the Traditional Japanese folk song called Kojo No Tsuki. Roth had a mastery of his Strat then, he made it sing.