What kick samples are you using for *rock* stuff?

Jan 10, 2005
I'm trying to figure out a good rock kick sound for a band I'm working with atm. I don't want it all clicky and shit, I'm looking for something like the kick on the last two Breaking Benjamin albums, in the vein of that. More of an oomph with a cushy click to it if that makes any sense. I have Slate (TRIGGER) but that's about it really besides my Despised Icon kicks which are too metal for this stuff. Anyone got some tips on which ones to try out/blend together?

I recently used the low end of Slate 10 mixed with MorganC's rocky kick. It worked decently.

Yeah no I got that under control... I still need the direct kick sound to be what I'm looking for first and foremost.

I'll check for MorganC's kick, thanks. Also, the Greenkick seems to be working out pretty good so far, thanks for the heads up on that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Morgan Tunnel Kick.rar

Just reupp'd my kick for another thread. I can't see it working for anything radio rock tbh, but for some softer or more alternative stuff it's pretty good.

I've got I think a 'red rock' kick which is pretty decent. I haven't done any softer stuff in a long time, usually the metal samples still work well, just with less highs and more mids.

Death Kick is a staple, usually mixed with a Slate for the attack.

If you want something similar to the last Breaking Benjamin, maybe try the Paramore kick that's floating around. Bendeth sounds like he's using the same drums on everything.

I think lasse posted a pretty decent rock kick (for blending) not that long ago.
Can try to dig it up when I get home, maybe it could be usefull.

Ermz, any chance you can share the death kick sample ?

Well I have searched for like 30 minutes using the forum search and the custom Google Sneap search page with no luck finding those Paramore kicks... any chance somebody can PM me with a DropBox link or something?

I always have felt like the slate kicks, as much as i love them, are just too clicky in a plastic way. which is great for some stuff, but sometimes you really want that felty pillowy soft click. and none of the slate kicks provide it, in my experience.

[UEAK]Clowd;9612301 said:
I always have felt like the slate kicks, as much as i love them, are just too clicky in a plastic way. which is great for some stuff, but sometimes you really want that felty pillowy soft click. and none of the slate kicks provide it, in my experience.

This is what I'm talking about! Haha. All I have are f'in metal kicks :( Even the ones I read should be tailored more for rock than metal (from the Slate library) they are still too edgy for what I need. A couple of guys sent me the Paramore kick, but apparently it's just a single hit, and really it's got the same problem as everything else I have tried, too much produced...ness... if that makes any sense? *sigh* The search continues...

You can tailor the Slate ones more to your needs with a touch of EQ. Just take away some of the 2kHz stuff, lowpass the rest out, and go from there. If it's too attacky on the whole just set a high shelf starting at like 1kHz and take it away.

Slate Custom Kick also does a great job for me, maybe not 100% the direction of rock kick you would want to take though
LSD Big Rock would help a lot in getting it like Breaking Benjamin I think