What kind of recordable DVD's do I need?

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just got a DVD recorder for my TV. My old DVD player started to suck and make farting noises. So I just got this new Panasonic thing for a reasonable price. I like the DVD RAM feature, even though those discs aren't really useable for other players . . . I think.

Anyway, which kind of DVD's do I need to record permanent stuff. I can use either DVD-R or DVD+R. I want to make sure they will play on other people's DVD players. The only rewriteable DVDs I can record to are DVD-RW, so I have that one figured out.

Conspicuously Absent said:
go buy a 100stack of blank DVDs. they're really all the same....

all the blank DVD companies just make DVD+-Rs now.
oh but even if the media is universal he still has to decide on which format to burn in am i right?

Erik said:
oh but even if the media is universal he still has to decide on which format to burn in am i right?

Yes, you are right. Which format is cheaper, more likely to work on all DVD players, etc. + or -

From what I can tell, - is slightly more popular. Right or wrong?

These aren't for the computer.

+ is newer, - is the original

I believe almost ALL players can play -R, whereas only newer players can read/play +R, though really, if you've bought a computer/drive/DVD player in the past 2-3 years, I'm willing to be they can all play - & +R just fine