have all the following, what else do i need, thinking of opening a studio.

padr81

Feb 27, 2010
So I've got a spare shed that im thinkin of converting into a studio and upgrading from my bedroom.

At the minute I've got the following.
PC stuff - 2gb ram, dual core 2.8 processor, 150gb hard drive (will need to be upgraded I'd imagine)
OS - Windows XP 2nd edition.

Software - Cakewalk Sonar 8 (thinking of changing to reaper), Waves gold bundle, Steven Slate Drums, lots of free vst's I've learned of off here like g-clip.

Interfaces - I use Roland VG-99, Line 6 Toneport KB37 and for more than 1 mic I use a yamaha mw-10 (i think its called) usb desk. I'll need to upgrade this to something with more mic inputs for doing live drums I'd imagine.

Mic's - 2 Shure SM57's, 2 Shure SM58's, 1 Audio Technica AT2020.

Monitors - Behringer MS 16 - 2 for €44 so i'd imagine they could be upgraded down the line.

Amps - Peavey 5150mkII, with a marshall 1960 cab, Marshall MG 100watt combo and a Line 6 Spider Valve mk1, 40 watt combo.

So along with soundproofing and acoustic treatment for the place, what else would you guys recommend for me to invest in. I'd rather have everything I need and than start upgrading pieces as I get the cash than say just buy new monitors and be a mic short etc....

Sorry about the long post and I know this has probably being asked on the forum many times before but I figured as I have alot of stuff already its easier to ask here.

You need a real interface, with a solid clock, and ad/da conversation.
At least 8-16 real mic pres
Real studio monitors
8-16 mics to record a real drumkit

so safe some cash and start step by step

You spent $699 on the Waves Gold Bundle and you only have a 2 channel interface? I highly suggest spending less on plugins (or not stealing them ;) ) and getting a decent interface with a minimum of 8 channels. Look into the Saffire Pro 40 by Focusrite or the Profire 2626 by M-Audio

decent interface (profire 2626 would be my recommendation)

decent monitors, there's LOADS of threads about this just search

acoustic treatment: rockwool, lots of it.

New hard disk.

With that i'd say you'd be ready to call yourself the proud owner of a small studio. Being able to record drums is a luxury and can easily be done in a larger commercial studio before hand (either by the band independently hiring a studio or by you dry hiring the studio and doing it with them)

where the hell do you get Waves Gold for $699???

Magic fairies.

Better monitors.
Better interface.
Two new hard drives.
Couple new mics.

Get that shed treated reasonably well.

Also, I don't think the gear should determine if its a studio or not, to certain degree at least.
The product should.
If you can make what you have rock like a mother fucker i wouldn't think it unreasonable to open up a studio right now with what you have.
But if your product and skills are sub par, then you need to practice more with what you have and then look into new gear.

Or get the new gear first, as new gear is a very big motivator.

I swear to god that if I was your client and you'd reamp me through a Marshall Mg, I'd kick your ass hard time:D

You need a REAMP BOX if you haven't got one alrealy.

My suggestion would be SELL your Marshall, your monitors and your interface (you won't use them in the long run, anyway) and get a PROFIRE 2626 and some decent MONITORS and you'll be a step ahead of where you are right now.

Either way ... we all know he didnt buy it ...lol

My thinking exactly - regardless of the price.

I'm leaving myself open to saying I'm wrong, but I'm sensing a little bit "extended trial period" stuff going on here if you know what I mean. ;)

I got mine for $699 on sale :)

Its the lowest price I know of ever so I used THAT as my reference :D .... I know its a grand right now ....lol

Never say never... My school mate owns 26 000€ worth of software synths and he has legally bought all of them... And he bought his first monitors like 5 months ago, he only used headphones prior to that.

I'm going to be harsh and say that if you don't know what needs improving in your current rig without asking here, it's not time to open a "studio".

Seriously.

Look, whether or not his Waves are pirated makes no diff, he has them anyway so whatever - he has some decent plugs already, regardless of how they were obtained. Nobody is condoning it but fuck it, who cares any more.

I'm sure a lot of you guys didn't have EVERYTHING you needed before you started getting bands to come record. Get off your high horse, c'mon.

Better interface and monitors man, best money you will ever spend. I also suggest ProFire2626 from M-Audio, absolutely love mine. They can be had on eBay from authorized sellers for B-Stock pricing ($549) but you will get a brand new unopened unit, well at least myself and a few friends did anyway. Monitors, there are a gamut of decent monitors, I would suggest Yamaha HS series (HS50 or HS80), if not M-Audio BX8a (or 5a) - overall I suggest 8" monitors, but lots of guys get along with 5, 6 and 6.5" ones just fine.

Probably should get a DI and reamp unit, or get something that is 2-in-1, such as the well regarded LittleLabs RedEye, has a DI and reamp in one, convenient! If not, you can always grab separate units, maybe used, to save some money. Radial's ProRMP reamp is perfectly fine, been using one for years now, no complaints. As for DI, at the top of the list would be Countryman Type85, but it's also the most $$ I think around $170? Radial also has some DI's that lots of guys dig, and can be had for cheaper than the 85.

thx for the advice lads, when i meant open a studio, i meant like a project studio for myself and my mates to use for the time being and eventually when i learn what im doing and upgrade my equipment possibly (if i get fairly good at it) than charge for it, but to get the foundations in place atm. No point me buying huge gear if its something Im just not gonna get good at. I'll look into upgrading what I can when i can and try and save the money for one of those profire interfaces, which ive bein reading about in the interface sticky.

The waves is not gold bundle its waves musicians bundle2 from thomann. sorry about the gold bundle thats the one my mates always on about and i was looking at recently. i don't steal software not only cause its wrong but also i don't see the point when theres so much stuff around for free thats equally as useful to learn on.

I got mine for $699 on sale :)

Its the lowest price I know of ever so I used THAT as my reference :D .... I know its a grand right now ....lol

Excuse me guitarguru I've already said i made a mistake with the gold bundle (i know after you've posted this). I was looking at equipment after i posted this and happened to be checking out gold bundle among other things cause a mate of mine always goes on about how its supposedly awesome, an honest mistake.

But... you have no right to accuse anyone of stealing or to say anything of the sort.

Being a guitar teacher, I know tons of kids with little to no interest in guitar who went out and bought Les Pauls and strats only to throw it in the case after using it for 2 weeks and others who stuck at it, just cause they are inexperienced and new to guitar doesn't mean I'm gonna say "why would someone whose never played guitar buy a Les Paul.... oh he must have stole it." Now I know software is obviously easier to attain illegally than walking out of musicstore with a les paul under your jumper but just cause its expensive doesn't mean person x must have stole it.

Thanks for the advice in the first reply, much appreciated, my (soon to be) friend (i hope, if you keep up the advice and stop the accusations.)