have all the following, what else do i need, thinking of opening a studio.

As noted I reserve the right to be incorrect. If it's an honest mistake, that's what it is.

No problem at all lads with the comments, I'm not new to this board i've bein lurking and reading for awhile and learned tons plus im pretty thick skineed, but it is kind of annoying when someone goes "you stole x... I should know cause i worked my butt off for so long to get it", everyones financial situation is different (unfortunately mine sucks) and it can put off new members who may be financially well off and genuinely thought all they needed was a pc, daw and some really expensive plugins to have a studio.

Isn't it better to give these people a chance to learn and help them as opposed to accuse of all sorts scare them off and see those really expensive plugins go to waste.

Good thread Ahjteam, you've already given me lots of good advice on my mixes tracking in my older threads.

Being a guitar teacher, I know tons of kids with little to no interest in guitar who went out and bought Les Pauls and strats only to throw it in the case after using it for 2 weeks and others who stuck at it, just cause they are inexperienced and new to guitar doesn't mean I'm gonna say "why would someone whose never played guitar buy a Les Paul.... oh he must have stole it." Now I know software is obviously easier to attain illegally than walking out of musicstore with a les paul under your jumper but just cause its expensive doesn't mean person x must have stole it.

Not the same thing... The bar for pirating software is much, much lower than stealing physical goods. Around here we have people every week who have pirated Waves plugins and are asking idiotic questions about them or thinking they can put up a "professional studio" using them and shitty gear and then take money out of it.

That's not to say I think you've pirated anything, I actually admire the attitude you had in that earlier post, the AE world needs more of that. Keep it up and get some new gear, it's always fun even though I'm always broke afterwards.

I'm going to be harsh and say that if you don't know what needs improving in your current rig without asking here, it's not time to open a "studio".

Seriously.

This *1000. Project studio is different- some of this will apply still- but here's my answer.

You will need a bunch of money. It will cost money, not make money. If you haven't been doing this dance for like ten years it's not going to be a source of income unless you're really good at swindling people :)

You will need a bunch of time, because the detail... put it this way. Consider miking a cab, and how much variance you can get just moving a 57 around. Now multiply that by every single sound source and noise maker on every track of every mix, including each aux and the final buss as if they were their own sound source. You will not have time to practice and write songs etc. if you intend to get good at the studio thing, much less perform live.

You will need a bunch of patience because it's usually a matter of experimentation to find what works, or how things are set up. You evolve a production style through repeating what finally worked, while you continue to fool with what's still not working.

You will need more enthusiasm than 'yeah I suck but I'll try to put together a studio', you'll have to get more excited about some of your production ideas. You'll need humility at the same time because you have to still be excited about the ideas that fail or you won't give them a true full-on test to learn that they fail. Some of this is still true for a project studio but becomes compulsory if you intend to break even or God forbid make money :D

If you're down with all this, then we can start talking about even the most basic notions of what gear to have, like 'multiple A/D and enough mics to record a kit' :devil:

This *1000. Project studio is different- some of this will apply still- but here's my answer.

You will need a bunch of money. It will cost money, not make money. If you haven't been doing this dance for like ten years it's not going to be a source of income unless you're really good at swindling people :)

You will need a bunch of time, because the detail... put it this way. Consider miking a cab, and how much variance you can get just moving a 57 around. Now multiply that by every single sound source and noise maker on every track of every mix, including each aux and the final buss as if they were their own sound source. You will not have time to practice and write songs etc. if you intend to get good at the studio thing, much less perform live.

You will need a bunch of patience because it's usually a matter of experimentation to find what works, or how things are set up. You evolve a production style through repeating what finally worked, while you continue to fool with what's still not working.

You will need more enthusiasm than 'yeah I suck but I'll try to put together a studio', you'll have to get more excited about some of your production ideas. You'll need humility at the same time because you have to still be excited about the ideas that fail or you won't give them a true full-on test to learn that they fail. Some of this is still true for a project studio but becomes compulsory if you intend to break even or God forbid make money :D

If you're down with all this, then we can start talking about even the most basic notions of what gear to have, like 'multiple A/D and enough mics to record a kit' :devil:

thx for the advice mate, production has always being something that i've had a big interest but never had the time to go with due to other musical commitments. My live days are pretty much over so now I intend to devote my musical time to learning this stuff. I've bein inspired loads by the rate my mix threads you guys post and learned loads from just about every post i've read here.

I should have said i intend to upgrade my bedroom recording to a project stuio and eventually upgrade further but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to typing. I look forward to trying and giving it my best shot, at least i can get no worse at it, so every little thing I suppose is a step forward.