What makes a mixing engineer STAND OUT?

Dans

Jul 3, 2014
So I'd love to hear the opinions on this from you guys.

Take some of my favorite mixers for example, Forrester Savell, Jens Bogren, CLA, Nolly, Jason Suecof, and then some. They all have their specific and cohesive SOUND in their mixes, and I wonder how one develop his personal style and sound through the process. Would it be simply the fact that we all hear things differently and the great mixers manage to carve the mix 100% in favor of their tastes? Or can it be a conscious decision to emphasize certain qualities in the mixes? Or probably a bit both?

What do you think that helps a mixer build his own style and sound, and stand out from thousands of other "good" mixers? Or maybe what have helps YOU develop your own style?

So I'd love to hear the opinions on this from you guys.

Take some of my favorite mixers for example, Forrester Savell, Jens Bogren, CLA, Nolly, Jason Suecof, and then some. They all have their specific and cohesive SOUND in their mixes, and I wonder how one develop his personal style and sound through the process. Would it be simply the fact that we all hear things differently and the great mixers manage to carve the mix 100% in favor of their tastes? Or can it be a conscious decision to emphasize certain qualities in the mixes? Or probably a bit both?

What do you think that helps a mixer build his own style and sound, and stand out from thousands of other "good" mixers? Or maybe what have helps YOU develop your own style?

I think Andy Sneap once said you have to know what you want it to sound like in your head before you even start. I think that is what really separates great from mediocre mixers.

Aside from the obvious good overall frequency balance it's probably the drum samples they tend to use and the type of tones they go for. Like Andy and Colin with the use of the alesis snares give them their style and their smooth tones. CLA also uses certain samples in different albums but he's a bit more versatile and probably the best versatile engineer.

Tact is most important, for sure.

I haven't really thought about this but it actually makes a lot of sense.

Aside from the obvious good overall frequency balance it's probably the drum samples they tend to use and the type of tones they go for. Like Andy and Colin with the use of the alesis snares give them their style and their smooth tones. CLA also uses certain samples in different albums but he's a bit more versatile and probably the best versatile engineer.

Interesting point. It actually seems like many engineers in metal are famous for their drum sounds.

A Slate VMR licence.

LOL on this :D

Thanks for input guys.

I've never been a big fan of a mixing engineer sounding the same throughout different pieces of music. I think all records need to sound the way the music calls for. Take Andy Wallace for example, now that's a versatile mixer, mixes to what the song feels like.

Talent, open-mindedness and experience. Also I think it's like playing/composing music: having your own style should not be the goal imho. If you follow your tastes and your (uncommon) ways of doing things, it'll sound more and more personal.

I've never been a big fan of a mixing engineer sounding the same throughout different pieces of music. I think all records need to sound the way the music calls for. Take Andy Wallace for example, now that's a versatile mixer, mixes to what the song feels like.

I do think that the production should sound at least the way the artist ask for, while it can sometimes be subjective determining what the music calls for.
On the other hand, don't you think bands often times reach out to the engineer who have certain element, quality or strength in his production, so they know that certain character of their music can be emphasized?

Talent, open-mindedness and experience. Also I think it's like playing/composing music: having your own style should not be the goal imho. If you follow your tastes and your (uncommon) ways of doing things, it'll sound more and more personal.

Totally agree on this. Staying honest to the process is crucial to any artistic craft.

I love mixing engineers who decide to embrace the faults in the takes and tracks (not that it's their job to actually clean anything). The best engineers convey the exact feeling the bands convey with their songs, and that is not easy.

I think the signature styles span from putting a focus on some key element(s) and building around that. That's why some engineers will be automatically chosen for a certain genre/style over the other.

Yeah, but he also fails when the source material does too. One thing the more 'consistent' mixers have going is that they're usually able to salvage mixes fairly well. AW mixes are generally quite raw and contingent on what he's given. More than a few of his works as a consequence sound quite underwhelming, while others sound fantastic.