What makes or breaks a band name?

Oct 1, 2009
Boston, Massachusetts
For me, what makes a band name is if it sounds/looks awesome, also if the logo looks sweet. For example, LunarSea
url]
Pretty simple but gets the point across, and LunarSea brings to mind some epic fucken imagery, which also helps.

Great logo doesn't always mean great band, but if eyecatching it can reel a sucker(like me) in because they like pretty things. Examples below
emperor_logo.gif

Norther_logo.jpg

EnsiferumLogo.jpg

Of course, there is no denying that some great bands have shit names and logos. For instance, best band in the world...
btbam_logo.jpg

SHITTY FUCKEN LOGO! It was bearable once with the flower, but now that's gone, leaving the words to be typed alone in a random font you'd normally see on bank letters. Not that this matters, but to judgemental pricks who like nice shiny logos... yeah. :rolleyes: But they really are great, check 'em out if you can.

Other bad logos and band names

483958_logo.jpg

PD.jpg

metallica.jpg

More for the name than logo, because Metallica is a really dumb sounding name when you have too much time to think in depth about these kinds of things. :loco:

Anyways, this thread is about bands that you fell in love with partly because of their names and/or logos, were hesitant to look at due to their names/logos, or absolutely refuse to look at because of their name/logo.

A good band name should have some sort of meaning behind it, or at least sound like it does. It should fit the mood of the band's music. Also, it should sound metal without being exactly like every other band name.

I don't think you can knock Metallica, due to the era of the band's creation. Same with bands with names like "Death", "Death Angel", or to branch outside of metal, names like "The Doors".

Era consciousness when name judging is as important as era consciousness with music judging.

Band names don't really matter to me. I suppose band names that are more appealing are ones that have one word and has some "pop" to it.

Slayahhhhhhhhh!

I don't think you can knock Metallica, due to the era of the band's creation. Same with bands with names like "Death", "Death Angel", or to branch outside of metal, names like "The Doors".

Era consciousness when name judging is as important as era consciousness with music judging.

Metallica is a lame band name no matter what time period. Death is one of the best band names ever.

Yeah I tend to find one word names to sound the best. Not that bands with one word names actually have the best sound, but their names are more appealing. When there are numerous words that don't blend together in some sort of logical phrase, it strikes me as rehashed and unoriginal.

In general I prefer one word band names. Emperor is an excellent name as is Slayer. I like Mastodon also. I like logos that are not to messy but not just a regular font either. Emperor again is good as is the Megadeth and the Mayhem logo. A logo that is hard to read that I do like is the Darkthrone one.

Another favorite, thats more that one word, is Totalt Jävla Mörker. They took the name from some song called "total fucking darkness" and translated it to Swedish (believe me the english version doesnt have the same impact as the swedish one).

In general band names are things you get used to though. Metallica isnt a great name but no one cares and people are so used to it. Guns N' Roses is logical looking at the history but doesnt flow that well as a name. People really dont care though.

Rarely do I look up bands for logos. The only band I can think of that I looked into because of their logo was Deathspell Omega. However I have discovered a ton of bands/albums through looking at cool album art:

Azaghal - Omega
az.jpg

Klabautamann - Merkur
cover_2771662009.jpg

Negura Bunget - Om
675px-negura_bunget_om_2006.png

Latitudes - Agonist
latitudes300.jpg

Armagedda - Ond Spiritism
45730.jpg

Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
mirrorimage.jpg

I like bands for their music, who in the hell would decide to like a band because of their name or worse yet "logo" ?

Funny as hell to hear negative opinions on Metallica, probably the absolute best possible name they could have chosen in '83 or what ever year it actually was they chose the name. Their banner kicks ass compared to this later overdone cliche style. Forget about it being one of the first to point to an edgier letter form.

Be serious

"Death"... wow, how profound... and soooo intimidating
"Emperor"

somehow Im not seeing the difference

Funny as hell to hear negative opinions on Metallica, probably the absolute best possible name they could have chosen in '83 or what ever year it actually was they chose the name. Their banner kicks ass compared to this later overdone cliche style. Forget about it being one of the first to point to an edgier letter form.

To me, intitially, it sounds like a feminine name. Quite the contrary to the masculine driven thrash scene. Im not bothered by it though. I just dont think the name is excellent. The logo is simple but instantly recognicable which is usually what I like about logos.