What musical gear do you own?

I dislike playing Jono's ESP because the distance between the strings and the pickups is longer and makes it harder for me to rest my pinky on the edge of the pick up.

Rest your pinky on the body of the guitar instead, I used to anchor my fingers there. Until I realised the beauty of not anchoring.

Rest your pinky on the body of the guitar instead, I used to anchor my fingers there. Until one day I found out that anchoring is not the best thing to do on the guitar. After doing some research and watching many videos of Chris Broderick I decided to give it a go with out anchoring, and I love it.
I've watched a lot of the shredders and what they do with their right hand(LOLOLOLOLOLOWANKLOL) and a majority of them actually anchor their pinky on the high E string. Romeo does this. Petrucci anchors his on the pick up too but seems to really only do this when he is speed picking. Tony Macalpine seems to rest his pinky on the body of the guitar too so i guess it's all up to the individual. I find it's really benefical for control while speed picking to anchor. It can also help with right hand muting, and i refer to muting more as muting out any string noise rather than palm muting.
But cheers for the suggestion and i'll definitely give it a go and see if it feels any better once i get used to it a bit.

Right hand technique is a bastard and is my biggest weakness.

I've watched a lot of the shredders and what they do with their right hand(LOLOLOLOLOLOWANKLOL) and a majority of them actually anchor their pinky on the high E string. Romeo does this. Petrucci anchors his on the pick up too but seems to really only do this when he is speed picking. Tony Macalpine seems to rest his pinky on the body of the guitar too so i guess it's all up to the individual. I find it's really benefical for control while speed picking to anchor. It can also help with right hand muting, and i refer to muting more as muting out any string noise rather than palm muting.
But cheers for the suggestion and i'll definitely give it a go and see if it feels any better once i get used to it a bit.

Right hand technique is a bastard and is my biggest weakness.

It defiantly is up to the individual. I my self have looked at countless shredders and seen that they anchor. But good guitar technique is still building and it may be the case that all the these guys started shredding when shred was beginning to develop and have picked up bad techniques whilst practicing as a child.

People have said that they have tested it and that whilst anchoring releases tension in the picking hand, not anchoring will make you a faster player. For me this is true, ever since I have not anchored my speed has increased I have more clarity in my notes and more control over my picking hand, although this did take awhile to get used to at first. But then watching the lightning speed that John Petrucci plays at really contradicts the statement, as he anchors as well. So I guess it is up to the individual.

But Chris Broderick has become some what of a model in what I want to be as a guitarist so it is only natural for me to want to imitate him.

Anyway on gear:

I have a Custom made guitar in the shape of a Jackson Warrior, with EMG KH 89 (I believe)

For an amplifier I have a Line 6 HD 147

Ok cool. So if your not anchoring what do you do with the fingers on your right hand that aren't holding the pick? I've seen some guitarists who basically leave their fingers flat out pointed at the ground and some curl them up into almost a fist shape. I've tried all of these and they can really affect how you play.

Ok cool. So if your not anchoring what do you do with the fingers on your right hand that aren't holding the pick? I've seen some guitarists who basically leave their fingers flat out pointed at the ground and some curl them up into almost a fist shape. I've tried all of these and they can really affect how you play.

My fingers are pretty retarded my pinky goes straight to the ground (probably because of the anchoring) whilst my index and middle finger curl. I don't think it really matters, I believe it should be left how ever it feels naturally as long as it isn't anchored.. The reason it could affect how you play is because you are forcing your self to think about pointing it to the ground or curling it up, instead of just letting it be. I have been trying to find ways that are best, and I am stuck on what I find the best in that area.

The reason I find non anchoring better is I am not stuck to having my pinky glued to the body of the guitar and have more freedom in moving my wrist up and down while sweeping.

My main problem in my technique is moving my thumb or index whilst I pick :erk:

EDIT: I don't really want to get into a debate about anchoring and non anchoring as it could go on forever and really amount to nothing. I suppose the best thing to do is try things out and see what works for the player.

I used to anchor always, now I don't unless I'm playing single-note riffs usually, or melodic lead lines. For everything else it's floating/resting my palm on the trem.

Shane, PRS are sooooo overrated, I can't play them I think they're gay. lol

Jonno, what Ibanez 7 string do you have? If it's easily cleanable and in great nick I'd be willing to buy it from you very soon (depending on the model).

I used to anchor always, now I don't unless I'm playing single-note riffs usually, or melodic lead lines. For everything else it's floating/resting my palm on the trem.

Shane, PRS are sooooo overrated, I can't play them I think they're gay. lol

Jonno, what Ibanez 7 string do you have? If it's easily cleanable and in great nick I'd be willing to buy it from you very soon (depending on the model).
Why are you so mean Scott? I thought we were friends.

Each to their own. There are good Ibanez's. But there a lot of better obscure guitar brands too. Like metal music and most things it's not always the biggest most well known brands/bands that are the best.

For everything else it's floating/resting my palm on the trem.

When playing acoustic- especially when fingerpicking- I'll often rest the edge of my palm on the bridge, but on an electric (keeping in mind most of my electrics have Floyd trems) I can't manage to do it without it ending up changing the pitch of the strings. It might not happen straight away but I've noticed it when recording myself and that's the only explanation I can come up with because it doesn't happen when I play on a fixed bridge or when I've consciously stopped myself from resting on the trem.

Casio CTK- 651 Keyboard (ahaha the first oen i ever got)
MPM PS-25 Sustain Pedal
Roland JV-35 Expandable Synth
Ashton D27 Acoustic Guitar
Jackson DK2 - Skulls
Weconic WEB1 Bass Guitar
BellCarroll Violin
DeFord 88B Flute
Valencia Classical Nylon String
Gason Semi-Acoustic
Single keyboard stand
Double keyboard stand
A shitload of guitar and microphone stands with 3 mics.
And one of them analogue metronomes, they come in real handy for someone like me

*Here comes the pic whore :p*

Peavey JSX + Framus Cobra cab + a friend old Squire Bass + my old Jackson PS2
P1010139.jpg

Mah baby- Schecter C1 (30th Anniversary LTD ED)
P9300012.jpg

Other stuff I don't have photos of:
Ibanez Electric/ Accoustic AW15CE-LG (Great action and a decent tone)
Zoom 707II (practically only used as a tuner now)
Digitech Badmonkey (used as a clean boost- untill I can be bothered getting a Maxon OD808)
Alesis M1 Mk2 monitors
Cubase SX3

Way too much guitar wankery going on in here...

My new drumkit consists of the following

Mapex M-Birch in "Black Forest Green"

Toms
8x7
10x8
12x11
14x12
16x14

Bass Drum
22x18

Mapex Black Panther "Babylon Edition" Snare (only one of 13 in the country, I believe most are owned by distributors and are on display)
14x5.5

Sabian cymbals (mix of AA, AAX and AAX-Metal). Could be wrong on a couple of them, I'd have to check
8" AA splash
10" AAX splash
14" AA Hi-Hats
16",17",18" AAX crashes
20" AAX-Metal crash
18" AAX-Metal China
22" Metal Ride

Trick Pro1-V double pedals. These cost more then the shells for my drums! Insane pedals.... now all I gotta do is learn how to play them haha

Pro-Mark 747-Rock drumstick. I prefer these because they have the weight and taper of a 5A but the extra length of a 5B

I don't have a real preference with skins EXCEPT for the Evans Genera Dry on my snare. I'll be experimenting with the rest of the kit when I can afford to completely reskin it