What other types of music do Maiden/ Maidens fans enjoy?

momadave

Your hippie fan
Sep 26, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Besides the obvious metal/ hard rock music, what other types of music do you folks enjoy?
I love Jam Rock - Phish, The Dead, Umphrey's McGee, String Cheese Incident, moe.; I love Bluegrass - Old and In the Way, Yonder Mountain String Band, Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs; I Love jazz - all types too many to mention; Classic Rock - THE BEATLES, CSN & Y, Allman Bros, etc; Classic Metal/ Rock - Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc; Alternative Rock - Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc; ...and so many more.
What say you guys?

Thanks,

David :loco:

:headbang: I don't know I love to focus of one type at time, play above my means until I'm good enough to play it with force, momentum or with an attitude if you will, thus reaching higher and higher, but I love to play as many songs in one area as I can, because each song adds new tools and techniques to your bag of tricks and then of course there are new perspectives that way too. I stick with hard rock, and hard blues rock (ZZtop, Trower like sound); hard rock is the only stuff I have any interest in. Thats' why I like Maiden so much, cause this is the basis of their music and it really is my idea of how it should be done, many others just seem like armatures in comparison. IMNHO :headbang: I also like Rush, Styx and some others too.

Ok, list of bands that I really enjoy (in alphabetical order cos I'm looking at my cd collection!! :D )

My favourite bands get a special shelf all their own and on that is Metallica, Megadeth (and related - MD:45), Iron Maiden (and Bruce Dickinson and Psycho Motel), Pearl Jam and Black Sabbath.

AC/DC
Bryan Adams
Aerosmith
Anthrax
Bon Jovi
Boston
Alice Cooper
Counting Crows
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Damageplan
Def Leppard
The Darkness
Diamond Head
Dire Straits
Dream Theater
The Eagles
Echobrain
Green Day
Guns N' Roses
HIM
Judas Priest
Kiss
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Alanis Morisette
Motley Crue
Nickelback
Nirvana
Oasis
The Offspring
Ozzy Osbourne (no room for him next to Sabbath)
Pantera
Phantom Blue
The Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Silverchair
Sonata Arctica
Soundgarden
The Stereophonics
Sum 41
Van Halen
Velvet Revolver
Whitesnake
Ugly Kid Joe

And that's all I can read from here!!!! Hahaha!!!

I like to hear old stuff like Rainbow, UFO, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, MSG, Malmsteen, Dokken, Whitesnake, Glenn Hughes, Joe Lynn Turner, Baron Rojo, Accept, AC/DC, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Chastain, Leatherwolf, Priest, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Doro & Warlock, NWOBHM (Jaguar, Raven, Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Girlschool, Saxon, Holocaust, Satan, Blitzkrieg (Brian Ross rules..) Def Leppard, Grim Reaper…), 80’s thrash – Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Heathen, Testament, Exodus, Over Kill, Vicious Rumors, D.R.I., Laaz Rockit, Ruffians, Armored Saint… newest stuff like Evanescence, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Edenbridge… euro metal like – Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, Iron savior, Metallium… and some things out of metal like Kitaru, Maggie Reily, Vangelis, 3 Doors Down, Billy Idol, Bryan Adams, Queen, and a lot of Portuguese stuff.

I love all kinds of music.
Carcass, Deicide, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Morbid Angel, Mynjun, Nile, Katatonia, PanterA, the old Sepultura, Bloodbath, Maiden, Yes, Paradise Lost, Type O Negative, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Anathema, Steve Vai, King Crimson, Joe Satriani, At the Gates, Hypocrisy, Opeth, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, Van Halen, Dream Theater, The Cure, Damageplan, Evenfall, Amorphis, Apocalyptica, The Darkness, Brujería, and the list goes on...

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

I like to listen to all kinds of music, but my fav is metal and native. I love the 80's metal, except big hair and glam rock, yuck! I like Lita Ford though, she's my girl along with Doro! As far as Native music, I like Robert Mirabal (he's rocking!), Indigenous (native blues), Jim Boyd, Ulali, Dar Williams, just to name a few. I can tolerate any music, but my heart belongs to metal and native music. I like classic rock too. Have you all ever hear "Moonshine" by the Allman Brothers band? Boy do they make their instruments sing on that one. By the way, the title is actually talking about the light of the moon. Just wanted to clarify that since ya'll might think it's the fire wahter them cuntry boys are talkin' about (I'm from Texas, so I can still pull out the southern drawl)! :D Well, I'm not going to list the bands I like, don't have enough room! Music makes the world go 'round :Spin:

I like to play "Ain't talking about love" - Van Halen, but this buddy of mine has the Eddie V - Peavy Wolfgang, and its very light and resonates loudly, and he has a :headbang: wicked pinch-harmonic just like Eddie. Anyway Van Halen is alright, but I think Maiden has more content in the guitar playing; although "Ain't talking about love" uses lots of open strings and navigates up and down the whole neck, and its fun, because of the rhythm and turn-around.

i grew up listening to the beach boys and big band stuff and still love to hear kewl arrangements like that. lately, i've been listening to jazz on the 405 cuz traffic is a bitch lately and slayer doesn't help :lol: rap is actually kinda kewl to jam guitar to cuz it's mostly drumz/bass and i can make up my own melodies and riffs to it. i also listen to alot of techno/trance for this reason - my brother turned me on to aphex twin, massive attack, lfo and squarepusher and i returned the favor with the new stuff jeff beck puts out. i've also got a huge mp3 folder of karaoke pop songs i jam to, hahha, aguilera and pink, a cher song, alicia keys and of course kelly clarkson.

I sang in choirs all my life, so I especially love stuff with great big vocal harmonies. I was a pretty lucky kid - had a bunch of older sisters who all had different tastes in music - and I borrowed quite freely from their record collections. My mom even had her own collection of Japanese and Korean music! Living with my granny, I got to hear all the old jazz standards and big band stuff as well, (we used to watch all the old Hollywood musicals together). It's helped me to have a pretty wide view of music, which I'm very thankful for. I really got to hear it all.

When I was in school, I studied jazz & classical music (even got to sing a little opera!) which also helped broaden my view. Then I became a 'singer for hire' and I had an opportunity to sing in these various styles as well, which helped me to appreciate music from the inside out.

Living in LA has been amazing to me , with the opportunity to meet musicians from all over the world, so even more exposure to sounds and rhythms, like South American, Indian and African music; things I may not have discovered so easily on my own.

It's endless- music is so deep and vast, ya? Aren't we fortunate to live in the era of recorded music and the internet? The whole world and its history is just a mouse click away...

Air Raid Siren said:
Aren't we fortunate to live in the era of recorded music and the internet? The whole world and its history is just a mouse click away...

I would agree; we are very lucky for living it a time of recorded music and such; if it weren’t for recorded music I wouldn’t know how to play squat or have any sense of sophistication, theory, or delivery. Listening to high quality recordings like Maiden's, just takes me away.

I like World Beat music too. I love to listen to the sounds from other countries. I have a CD by a flute player from the Andes. He makes his own flutes and music. I got to meet him in person and he autographed the CD for me. Very humble person. It was awesome. Reggae is cool. Bob Marley, Black Uhuru, Ziggy Marley just to name a few. Being from Texas and part Hispanic, we listened to a lot of Tejano music. It's very different from regular Mexican music. A perfect example of good Tejano music is Selena. She was a BIG loss to us musically too. For Texans, that loss was equivalent to Dimebag's loss to metal music. Huge tragedy, she was also gunned down by a crazed fan that actually worked for her. She was shot in the back while she was trying to get away. But this monster is locked up for life.

My tastes in music get fairly varied. Right now Ive been listening to a celtic/prog rock group out of the UK called, IONA. Also, have been getting some downloads of big band stuff by Stan Kenton. Outside of those recent things there is, in my CD collection, Voivod, Duke Ellington, Alison Krauss, Mike Stern, Enya, Fates Warning, Seals & Croft, Maiden, Miles Davis, 'old' Chicago, Porcupine Tree, Soundgarden, Brad Paisley, Glenn Miller, Dream Theater, Elvis, Heart, Allman Bros., Tool, Brad Davis (bluegrass picker), Blood Sweat & Tears, the Byrds, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Spocks Beard, Frank Sinatra, Santana, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nightwish, Brian Setzer Orhestra, etc... Too much good music out there.

I love the tone, sound and emotion of the voice of Karen Carpenter and Barry Manilow. Ahhhhh.......such emotion and tone can bring tears to my eyes! I tend to like either the soft stuff or the agressive stuff, rarely in between, but not as far angry as the death/thrash stuff. Kinda describes my Irish temperament! I also like a lot of classic "old school" metal. I love Steve Vai and Eric Johnson too. (mmmmm....more great tone!) I just absolutely love great guitar playing!!!!! I like a lot of the drummer releases too like Simon Phillips stuff and Virgil Donati's stuff....(HMMM..MORE great tone!!!)............on and on. Metallicat, I have a lot of the same stuff you listed. ;) Attention span does not allow me to expand my thoughts any further......................errrrr :loco:

MAIDEN67 said:
Being from Texas and part Hispanic, we listened to a lot of Tejano music. It's very different from regular Mexican music.

When you mention Tejano music it reminds of a time when I was in Prague I saw one of those Chilean bands with the guitars and flute things, jamming away down by Charles bridge. There were about 8 of ‘em and I was like woah.. these dudes can really pump out some sound, it was pretty good.

RoboCaster said:
When you mention Tejano music it reminds of a time when I was in Prague I saw one of those Chilean bands with the guitars and flute things, jamming away down by Charles bridge. There were about 8 of ‘em and I was like woah.. these dudes can really pump out some sound, it was pretty good.

Yeah, the sound of spanish music can really vary. I think the sound from Mexico it's self is very carnival-like. They use a lot of tuba and to me it's not very pleasing to the ear. But Tejano, is a mixture of Pop, Salsa and they even throw in some Polka. That's the foundation of this sound. I like the Latin sounds too. Tropical and Salsa. This sound is very popular to dance to. You get all the different dance moves for this, salsa, merengue, cha-cha, etc. Then you have the Mayan and Inca sound which involves a lot of flute and string guitar. Very native sounding.

I like Linda Ronstad too. She dug into her roots and found out she was Hispanic and started getting into Mariachi music. That was crazy! But you know, she kicks ass on that music. Mariachi is like Opera to Spanish people. You need to have a powerful voice for that. She's got it!