What range of midi velocities do you typically use in Superior drummer 2.0

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Lets say you are programming your drums completely. Using the piano roll you can adjust the velocities.

Now i know everything is situational but...i find myself having the midi velocity ranging from 120-127 when using SD 2.0.

I feel that in order to get the full ATTACK of SD 2.0 you have to set the velocities high.

Now im keeping the volume master in SD 2.0 at 0 for the most part.

Should i try using a wider range of velocities? and raising the master?

Or do you guys typically have your midi veolicity in the 120s as well?

Lets say you are programming your drums completely. Using the piano roll you can adjust the velocities.

Now i know everything is situational but...i find myself having the midi velocity ranging from 120-127 when using SD 2.0.

I feel that in order to get the full ATTACK of SD 2.0 you have to set the velocities high.

Now im keeping the volume master in SD 2.0 at 0 for the most part.

Should i try using a wider range of velocities? and raising the master?

Or do you guys typically have your midi veolicity in the 120s as well?

i honestly do what you do. Anything under 115-120 just sounds so weak and it takes away all the attack. Ive tried to program everything around 100 but it just sounds like crap

For ghost notes I turn the velocity down pretty low, and for softer sections of a song with clean guitars and stuff like that I keep it in the upper middle-to-low range. Other than that, just follow the general rule of putting the strongest hits on the one and the two and the three and the four with slightly lower ones in between. Strongest usually mean 127 on te velocity scale.

i never go below 117 on kick, snare, and toms. 100-127 for cymbals. if there's no blastbeat, the snare is usually 123-127. for double kick i would have something like; 125,120,123,118 repeat. or 125,121,125,121 repeat.