what snare head should i buy?

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
hey everyone, i'm gonna track some drums in a week and i need a new batter head for my 14" x 6 1/2" brass pork pie snare. what head should i get? I usually get a remo Controlled sound, but i'm willing to try something else. Is there a particular snare head that you love? I'm going to be tracking some stuff that has alot of ghost notes, so it should have a versitile sound.

hey everyone, i'm gonna track some drums in a week and i need a new batter head for my 14" x 6 1/2" brass pork pie snare. what head should i get? I usually get a remo Controlled sound, but i'm willing to try something else. Is there a particular snare head that you love? I'm going to be tracking some stuff that has alot of ghost notes, so it should have a versitile sound.

powerstroke

i'm a powerstroke3 user as well.
powerstroke4 is too thick for my taste.

for a lot of ghostnotes a simple ambassador will turn out the best, but you don't get the punch of a powerstroke.

maybe try the single ply head with the black dot in the middle (cs coated black dot) - had it a few times and i think it's good head.

I now have a good idea of what heads to advice my drummer to try for the next recording.

Toms will go with top emperor et botom ambassador.
Snare will try the Power stroke on top.

But what would you guys would advice for the bottom snare head ?

I work in a Drum Shop. Easily in My oppinion is the CSBF (remo). Meaning Coated snare Brush Finish. Pretty Much all the great benifitets of a Ambassador like Crack and snap and plenty of Punch, but a nice tight sound with less ring and over tones due to the controll dot.

Great snare Head. Will always use one in any of my recordings or playing

I now have a good idea of what heads to advice my drummer to try for the next recording.

Toms will go with top emperor et botom ambassador.
Snare will try the Power stroke on top.

But what would you guys would advice for the bottom snare head ?

The bottom snare head is always an ultra thin clear ambassador style head. As thick as clingfilm. Never use anything thicker.

Is that the Pork Pie "Big Black Brass?" If so, the powerstroke might be a little to bright soudning on it. (I have the same snare) Try the Remo Emperor with the black dot.

Yeah it's a big black brass. i went with the power stroke 3. it's alright. It pings like a mofo around 500hz when i tune it the way i like, so i have it cranked up and it seems cool. I'm probably gonna get a Controlled sound next time.

evans genera hd(heavy duty dry) i think its called. it has little holes going around the sides. definetly my favorite especially if it is a ringy snare drum in the first place. it has a tight and focused sound. plus they are two ply and last awhile. they have a single ply version as well. remo emporers are great as well.

I like coated emperors, and I've tried a couple emperor Xs that sounded alright. If your new head pings too much, try a moongel, they work wonders :kickass: