What sort of drumkit is best for metal?

That all depends on how much you want to spend....

DW or Pearl Masters sets... but 5 peice kits (no hardware) will run close to $2000.

Tama Rockstars sound good.

Just avoid buying the cheapest set you can. You don't need to get the most expensive either...
Start off with a five peice, and maybe get a double kick pedal... depending on what type of music you like.

You can always add peices later.

I'm not a drummer myself but I do have some advice. First of all, most metal requires (or encourages) the use of double bass. I'll side with xenophobe and say you shouldn't just get a cheep kit. My advice to you is to check out some of your favorite bands (or the drum sound you wish to emulate) and see what kind of kit the drummer uses. You don't have to get exactly what they have, but it is good for ideas. Lastly, you could try getting individual parts from different brands (ex. you like one brand's tom but not their snare so get their tom and someone else's snare) if you have the money.

All i could afford is a cheap one! :cry: but it works.... yes...buy a 5 piece to start... my dad has a 6 piece...after i need more toms i "borrowed" one of his floor toms (poor guy:D ) I got a Double-Pedal and perfected it and now am looking to upgrade...as i matured as a drummer i added more cymbals...i need more now..hehe... but start off small....learn to keep a basic beat (I learned from The Ventures) then got into punk (yuck) crap-metal.....found it was easy to drum to...wanted to go farther...and then... i found Death and Black Metal, Extreme Metal in general :D .....now i don't really suck...(I'm 16 been drumming 16 years, i have the pics to prove it too! :D )

Dang! Typed WAY too much..... What I'm saying is start small...you can add more stuff as you go! (I will tell you about my dad's drum kit another day:lol: )

best kit IMO:
double bass
3 toms
1 floor tom
1 crash/1-ride.
other than that the regular stuff (hihat, snare....)

a GOOD drumkit for metal (the one i'd like to have but i'd have to give my ass for 3 years to get the money to buy it):
4 toms
2 bass drums with iron cobra pedals
2 floor toms
1 splash
1 china
2 crashes
1 ride
1 hihat
1 snare

now THAT is a kit :D

There is no such thing as to which company is best for metal, there are a lot of good drum companies out there and that's what makes your choice harder. A few amazing companies are: Sonor, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex. Research some stuff about these companies and pick out which set you like. Also provide me with more information, such as how many pieces, and how much you want to spend.

My current kit - the only one I've owned so far - is a fairly cheap Sonor five-piece kit (around $1000 USD plus $550 USD for the Pearl double pedal), and I think four toms is enough for pretty much anything. I have three, and I still haven't felt the need to get one more. I'm really satisfied with my Sonors in all.

Having a certain manufacturer's name painted on the drum won't make it sound good or any more metal than the others. The heads affect the sound the most, but so do You - how you tune them and how you hit them. The mics also give their own "personal" texture to the sound, if applied.

I'm looking to spend not much over £500, and am looking for a solid starting kit... For number of pieces, well, I'm not certain what'd be best to start with - guessing 5 piece, but it depends a bit what I can find second hand.

Have you checked http://www.thomann.de/ ?

Their prices are usually lower than those over here (Finland), of course depending on the product. With £500 you can get a new Sonor kit from them. Of course, if you have the patience, wait and do some research and buy second hand - chances are a really sweet deal appears out of nowhere.

I didn't have the patience, and I wanted new. :p

It all boils down to personal preference. Everyone has their likes and dislikes with drum companies. Now there are so many companies out there that want you to play their drums. You need to make 2 important choices... What you can afford and within that price range, what drum shells sounds the best to you. I would recomend that you have to play the model of drums that you're looking to spend money on. If you can't do that, at least try to play a set by the company that you're looking to buy. Once you do that, you'll have a much easier time buying drums.

As for Metal... Yes, I would agree, a double bass set up kicks ass!
It's not all that important how many drums you have in your kit. As long as you can sound good with your band and you're comfortable with your set up, then you're good to go. Just remember, the larger the kit.. the more pain in the ass it is to lug around to your gigs... unless you are fortunate to have a drum roadie assist you. I'm still looking for one!! LOL

:wave.

Well i am myself bassist but i have lost my intrests and my amp is broken so instead i was thinking should i change the instrument on drums...i mean i`d love to play my aggressoins out and it´s so unusual see female metal drummers..or there are seldomly...;)