what Symphony X and George R R Martin have in common..

No, i mean keeping them all straight. I'm like "So Jon Snow is the bastard son, who's this other Jon they're talking about? Oh, ok, so then who's this dude and that dude and..."

it's starting to fall into place. It's just the first 75 pages are almost constant introductions which keep getting me all huffy puffy.

ah the other one is jon arryn, lord of the eyrie where ned and robert were fostered as youngsters, that's why they're all friends.. or were, as the surface plot of the story is the "mystery behind his death" which isn't really much of a mystery anyway.

Charis - Discworld definitely isn't for kids. I got into it because a neighbor moved out and left "Mort" behind. I checked it out and was laughing my ass off the whole time. Excellent stuff - he's a great satyrist. (Is that a word?)

Zach - I just lol'd quite a bit at the fact that you're in A Game of Thrones and having a hard time keeping characters straight. You're gonna need to IM me a lot about this, or hit the appendices in the back of the books pretty often. This is why that series is WAY better the second (and third) times you read it. You can already put faces to the names, so to speak.

yeah there was a few people from other houses that i didnt pay attention to at first but when i went back and read it all through the 2nd time i was like 'aaaahh' at some things..

seriously tho people.. fucking read china mieville!!! he is my breath of fresh air atm..

Hey, I see Pratchett mentioned here, I also like his Discworld series books, I read them all, it's really funny and a good break from the more serious stuff. Too bad the guy is suffering from a rare form of Alzheimer so propably won't be able to keep on writing for long, but he seems to be writing children's books anyway these days.

And yeah, I think I could start reading Game of Thrones again soon while waiting for the new one.

I too join the "read all of Discworld" club :lol: I started young though, stole about 20 of the books from my older brother :lol:

Im about halfway through "A Game of Thrones" , my cousin raved about the series so much he bought me the first 2 books in hard-cover. I used to read a lot of fantasy when I was young... my cousin told me I'd love this series since it wasnt your typical hero of the day fantasy which I now loathe.

The thing I noticed right off the bat is that all the characters have huge flaws.. something that is more real and compelling to me. Even Eddard Stark who reminds you of a Knight or Paladin , has a bastard son and so forth. Very cool read so far....

Waiting for GRRM to finish a book is perhaps the most exhausting wait one can have. It took him several years to finish AFFC and it doesn't look like ADWD will be out anytime before next summer. I've also been having the feeling like he will bite the bullet before he finishes his master work. The only reason I keep waiting is because its such a great series, probably the best I've personally ever read in fantasy. Great politics, character development, plot intrigue, and far and away the largest cast of characters ever assembled makes this series great. Do not stop reading after the first book or you will be shorting yourself on one of the greatest fantasy reads of all time. SO READ THEM ALL!!!!

i also hear alot of people who don't like a feast for crows, but i personally loved that one too! yes it doesnt have bran/jon/dany/tyrion etc but there's some further interesting plot development happening, and you finally get to see Cersei's point of view which is so bafflingly egocentric it's actually quite funny. and there's a couple of other characters i love in it too that kept me going like what was happening to Edmure, Brienne, etc. is there anyone here who liked the 4th as much as i did?

i also hear alot of people who don't like a feast for crows, but i personally loved that one too! yes it doesnt have bran/jon/dany/tyrion etc but there's some further interesting plot development happening, and you finally get to see Cersei's point of view which is so bafflingly egocentric it's actually quite funny. and there's a couple of other characters i love in it too that kept me going like what was happening to Edmure, Brienne, etc. is there anyone here who liked the 4th as much as i did?

I liked it, but it was definitely a step down. Book 3 has been the best so far, easily IMO.

A Storm of Swords is about the best book ever, so it's a very tough act to follow...that said, AFFC was still excellent. Dorne and The Citadel also got more exposure, which are parts of Westeros that were neglected in the previous two books.

A Storm of Swords is about the best book ever, so it's a very tough act to follow...that said, AFFC was still excellent. Dorne and The Citadel also got more exposure, which are parts of Westeros that were neglected in the previous two books.

Yeah, it was definitely good, I just really missed Jon, Bran, Dany, and Tyrion.

I'm thinking, since my Lexicon Urthus v.2 came today, I know there's a GRRM forum or mailing list out there because I used to read it. They should drum up some kind of compilation like these Wolfe-fans had done, and one of the more literate author it. A Lexicon Westeros, or some such. Something that would identify characters, vocabulary, locations, symbolism, show maps, and generally focus on understanding and unraveling the mysteries of the work.

I'm thinking, since my Lexicon Urthus v.2 came today, I know there's a GRRM forum or mailing list out there because I used to read it. They should drum up some kind of compilation like these Wolfe-fans had done, and one of the more literate author it. A Lexicon Westeros, or some such. Something that would identify characters, vocabulary, locations, symbolism, show maps, and generally focus on understanding and unraveling the mysteries of the work.
There's already towerofthehand.com. It's excellent.