What the fuck is going on with Pro Tools? (distorted input)

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
For some reason randomly while tracking, Pro Tools will just fuck up and all of a sudden my mic sounds like this...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3616293/distortedvox.wav

What the fuck? I don't change anything, it just happens. I restart Pro Tools and everything is fine again for a while, then it'll happen again.

This is driving me insane, as well as the fucking 9128 CPU error that I get even when playing back ONE TRACK with no plugins randomly. GRR.

I never got this kind of distortion... I got a different distortion and I solved it cleaning the PT files and DB. I know the same happened to Audiogeekzine (I read his post on the m-audio board).

That sounds like a segment on a Buckethead track! :lol:

But in all seriousness, not encountered that before. Sounds almost like a 'bitcrusher', as if PT suddenly records at a much lower bit depth. Weird...

yup I thought this had gone away with 8.0.3 but I'm still seeing it once in a while for no reason that I can see.
I haven't had it happen on my macbook but I don't get a 64 buffer on it.

It was worse with the 2 previous firewire cards I tried before settling on the recommended SIIG card.

Yesterday I was having some weird stuff with the internal busing in pt. Distortion through the sidechain and more.

Sucks that the best software for me to work on is also a buggy piece of shit

It happened to me only during my last recording session...I got also a distortion turning the volume knob..and only in PT. After the cleaning of the PT's prefs I solve it.
Anyway I upgraded to PT 8.0.3 and I've never gotten a similar problem since then.

I trashed my prefs and disabled every single plugin that I don't use on a regular basis to see how it runs differently, will report back.

Pro Tools is such a great program as far as workflow is concerned but it really is a bloated buggy piece of shit.

Was set to 128 at the time since that's the lowest the Profire will go and any higher and you can hear the latency. Once that happens though, I can up the buffer to 2048 and it doesn't matter, my input is fucked end of story, I have to restart for it to work properly.

No issues so far since trashing prefs, disabling plugins and repairing disk permissions. Still getting that annoying CPU usage error but not so often.

For me I was just toggling 128 to 1024 2-3 times until it corrects itself.
On the PC I've found it always works best if you restart the PC before doing any work.

Adam this is happening to you on your Macbook pro?

If you direct monitor that noise will actually be recorded but you won't hear it until you play it back.

For me I was just toggling 128 to 1024 2-3 times until it corrects itself.
On the PC I've found it always works best if you restart the PC before doing any work.

Adam this is happening to you on your Macbook pro?

If you direct monitor that noise will actually be recorded but you won't hear it until you play it back.

Yeah on my MBP :/ Sucks. Didn't have that problem during my session today at least, might have fixed it temporarily... The CPU Usage Limit error though is still plaguing me, though not as often as before.

Another thing...when it happened to me, if I got the distortion (3-4 seconds, after that it become normal) during the recording, the track was not distorted but it was recorded well.....very weird.

I got a similar sound years ago when I was using an Emu 1212M. That was caused by new drivers being incredibly unstable, had something to do with my motherboard at the time. In that case, I had to remove all of the drivers (which involved physically removing the PCI card too) and update my bios, and after that, install the old drivers. I doubt that's of any use here though.

Haven't had anything similar happen with my Profire and MBP, but I don't use PT M-powered yet.