What To Say

Mae Dae

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2004
is, in my opinion, one of the most emotion evoking songs I've ever had the privilege of hearing. I was listening to it for the 1,000th+ time today at work and found myself choking up...man, that song is so heavy!

Ted, you have one of the greatest voices I've ever heard...keep it alive!

That song still moves me beyond words, and I play it for everyone I can find. And I find a lot of people... ; )

Mae Dae said:
is, in my opinion, one of the most emotion evoking songs I've ever had the privilege of hearing. I was listening to it for the 1,000th+ time today at work and found myself choking up...man, that song is so heavy!

Mae Dae said:

wow, can i hear it? where can i find it online?

TRULY a moving and amazing song.

Ted is absolutely at his pinnacle in this song and it was a priviledge to be able to see and hear him sing it live at Imusicast. He is so The Man.:worship:

This tune is such a strong and direct tap into the emotional center of a person.... especially if you have experienced any type of loss such as the one talked about in the song. There is nowhere to hide from the song's punch - I still can't get through this song without breaking down....

I am in NJ this week, caring for my aunt, who is going through the last stages of her brain cancer. I was feeling pretty strong until I finally retreated to my IPOD - "can't move my arms, can't move my legs, can barely move my eyes...to take in the last view I'll ever see..." My aunt can still acknowledge us with an occasional facial expression, but that's it. She leaves behind a 38 year old daughter who has the the mental capacity of a 12 year old. Her future is still uncertain.

I think I have at least a small view of what Ted was talking about in this song, and living it here in person is just devastating. I give him major credit for having the strenght to sing this for the DVD taping, which I could see (in his eyes) was no small task. This song continues to move me in all kinds of ways...but in this crisis, I feel like my friends in Enchant are here for me...I mean, the guys have been great to me at every opportunity...but this is huge. Thanks guys.

Eric

Mae Dae said:

Brother Eric

Our hearts go out to you! thanks so much for sharing something so deep. Your a special person! just the best! We share your pain.

What a devastating thing to go though. It puts a lot of things into perspective doesnt it. Hey it is really great that we have this forum for everyone to share these kinds of things with each other.

Man we are with you because your a great guy! I think I can speak for anyone who knows you here and met you in March when you came all the way up here to see us.

And Ted really did touch so many of us with this song. It is hard to play it sometimes and not mess up when you have tears in your eyes.

I believe this is what it is all about. When you can write something that people can relate to with such deep emotion.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I am sure many feel the same way!

your friend Ed

chynablue said:
I am in NJ this week, caring for my aunt, who is going through the last stages of her brain cancer. I was feeling pretty strong until I finally retreated to my IPOD - "can't move my arms, can't move my legs, can barely move my eyes...to take in the last view I'll ever see..." My aunt can still acknowledge us with an occasional facial expression, but that's it. She leaves behind a 38 year old daughter who has the the mental capacity of a 12 year old. Her future is still uncertain.

I think I have at least a small view of what Ted was talking about in this song, and living it here in person is just devastating. I give him major credit for having the strenght to sing this for the DVD taping, which I could see (in his eyes) was no small task. This song continues to move me in all kinds of ways...but in this crisis, I feel like my friends in Enchant are here for me...I mean, the guys have been great to me at every opportunity...but this is huge. Thanks guys.

Eric

I listened to the song Shell of a man recently and found it interesting reading the lyrics because I´m working at a ward of elderly people suffering from dementia ( mostly alzheimers) this summer. The lyrics to What to say came into mind the other day as I was attending a man on the ward that is slowly dying, he is deteriorating fast, hardly eats and moves with great difficulty and has lost the ability to speak and his body is more skeleton-like with each day. It's not as sad as in the song considering he is almost 80 years of age but still it's not upflifting seeing people suffer.
Ted can write some breathtaking lyrics.

chynablue said:

Eric

Thanks for sharing that Eric. There is just as much emotion in that as there is in the song and it caused me to reflect on my own experiences.

We speak of lyrics here, but in the whole, it's the song in it's entirety. That's why Spock's Beard's song The Healing Colors of Sound is a wonderful way to explain it.

"Just turn around to the healing colors of sound."

Mae Dae said:

Agreed. Powerful stuff it is.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna include this song as a compilation that a bunch of friends of mine and I are doing. It's gonna be some "best of progressive rock/metal" album(s) to share just the ones involved (I mean, we're not going to put the results for sale or something). There are quite a lot of excellent tunes to pick out, but I found Enchant's "What To Say" very touching and sensible, both lyrically and musically speaking.

Meaningful lyrics along with dark-gloomy music, powered by Ted adding a note of desperation in the chorus. Besides, the omnipresent Doug's guitar giving a strong dose of emotional charge which makes of the song actually a masterpiece. Yes, it's gonna be my chosen one as "the best prog metal song ever".

Take that as winning the Grammy, guys. Big deal, no doubt. :D

|ngenius.

I just wanted to thank Ed and everyone else who wrote such kind words of support, both on and off the board. You've all been so great, and your presence has made things a little easier to bare. I am back in LA today, and am trying to deal a little better. It is just so great to be home, if only for a little while...

Eric