What do you look for in a PROG vocalist?

StocktontoMalone

The Cynical Realist
Dec 12, 2002
Tiverton, RI
Visit site
I ask this because, *I* think there are very FEW talented singers out there today...I think TED has a great voice, and knows how to sing(and these are two different abilities). I'm very sad that LANCE KING has left Balance of Power, because he was another STELLAR vocalist......

This is only MY opinion, mind you......

But like I said, most of the singers I've heard have great voices - but don't know HOW to sing..... :OMG:

Am I missing something?

To keep his mouth shut, i.e. to not exist. Instrumental music is all I need.

With the honourable exception of ENCHANT! Ted is definitely the voice of music!!!!

All other can hide in shame!

This topic is kinda funny. It's a very personal choice and there's no accounting for tastes.
IMO a singer should be one of the instruments of the complete band. He or she should no how to enhance the music. At least a singer should be able to carry the message of the lyrics. In progressive music you often hear singers with a wide range. This is because the music requires this I guess.
Anyway some of my favourite singers are: Ted Leonard (definately), Geoff Tate and Russel Alan.

Great choices, keeper of the flame! I just listened to a couple Symphony X albums and am now listening to Queensryche! Two of my favorite singers!

I like different kind of voices... to me the most imporant is the singer's personality and how it affects his output. You have to get the feeling he/she means every word he/she sings and that he/she can put some emotion into it. My favorite progvocalists are Peter Hammill, Fish, Peter Gabriel and Ray Alder.

There are definately some good singers listed here but I had to add some one who hasn't been mentioned. Steve Hogarth. That's what I look for in a singer; range, power, emotion, control, expressiveness, etc. You name it and he's got it. Although he's not a metal singer by any means, he's perfect for prog. Now if it's Metal or Prog Metal, for my $, Russell Allan from Synphony X has everyone beat! That guy rocks!!
headbob.gif
I think his voice sounds even better on the Star One album than the last Synphony X record. Talk about power! I'd love to work with him some day on some of my music!

It's funny, I placed an add some 11 years ago that said something like "Steve Hogarth where are you? Prog rock bang looking for a singer. Influences include Rush, Marillion, Queensryche, Kansas, Genesis, Yes, Saga, etc. Bla bla bla" And low and behold...Ted walks in. He sings At Death's Door and a couple others like he'd been singing them for years and our collective jaws hit the fucking floor!:OMG: I couldn't believe it!
After hearing about 25 guys that couldn't even sing better than me, we lucked out and found the perfect match for our music! Could you guys imagine what Enchant would sound like with a mediocre singer? It might of happened. At the audition Ted asked, "Who's Steve Hogarth anyway?" He had never heard Marillion. As a matter of fact I think he only really listened to Kansas and Queensryche at that point.

A twist of fate that changed everything for us.

Doug

Yes, Steve Hogarth has a great voice and he's very versatile. He can sing nearly anything. "Season's End" is my favorite post-Fish era album and I place it very close to those four Fish-era albums. Songs like "...The Space", "King Of Sunset Town" and "Easter" really shows his ability.

IMHO, Hogarth's voice is tinny and whiny at BEST....kinda like Jon Anderson's(except Jon can sing)....It lacks substance. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not going to like somethng just because its PROG...Symphony X didn't thrill me either...Spock's Beard - nope...and Arc - nope, and Camel - nope....I've tried to get ahold of Sieges Even, but can't seem to find anything to sample...oh, and Pain of Salvation - not at all......Where is the quality like Balance of Power, Enchant, and post-Gabriel Genesis?

StocktontoMalone said:
IMHO, Hogarth's voice is tinny and whiny at BEST....kinda like Jon Anderson's(except Jon can sing)....It lacks substance. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not going to like somethng just because its PROG...Symphony X didn't thrill me either...Spock's Beard - nope...and Arc - nope, and Camel - nope....I've tried to get ahold of Sieges Even, but can't seem to find anything to sample...oh, and Pain of Salvation - not at all......Where is the quality like Balance of Power, Enchant, and post-Gabriel Genesis?

Sieges Even "a sense of change" is not that hard to find. You can order it from Amazon, Laser's Edge, CDnow, etc. Some of their other albums are out of print, but that one should be quite easy to find.

I think Hogarth is amazing myself! But is all a matter of opinion and everyone has there favorites.

I am really not sure what prog even is? let alone a prog vocalist!

Doug what an great post and that was very very true everyone! It is a great story and a perfect fit!
Ted makes it all happen! He gets better and better! And don,t forget he is an amazing songwriter and lyricist as well! He has grown and continued to evolve and become one of the BEST vocalists there are PERIOD!

I have not stopped listening to this new disc for the last two days after hearing final mixes of 8 songs! I am floored! Honestly I was not feeling this way at first about some of the material? I guess that falls into the whole totured artist thing :) but damn it is hitting me like a ton of bricks now! THIS THING FU#$ING ROCKS! and really is grabbing me! And Ted you done a great job!

I am not sure about what differant people would look for in a prog vocalist or any vocalist for that matter! But we are thrilled with ours!

You rock brother! Thanks for doing such an amazing job!

Douglas! you have raised the bar as well my friend! unbelievable! More on you later! You have done an incredible job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't look for anything in particular. I generally like a singer that fits in with a certain kind of music. Different voices suit different styles, so a band has to have just the right kind of vocalist to accentuate the music. For instance, Maynard James Keenan suits Tool's music perfectly, and Russell Allen suits Symphony X's music just as well, but if you swapped them, it wouldn't sound right, even though they're both excellent singers.

So basically, for me, the music and vocals just have to go together. I don't have a specific vocal style that I prefer over all others.

ebass said:
I have not stopped listening to this new disc for the last two days after hearing final mixes of 8 songs! I am floored! Honestly I was not feeling this way at first about some of the material? I guess that falls into the whole totured artist thing :) but damn it is hitting me like a ton of bricks now! THIS THING FU#$ING ROCKS! and really is grabbing me! And Ted you done a great job!

this is what you said about Blink of an Eye last year at this time..hehe :).

As for vocalists, I love Annie Haslam of Renaissance, she has the most gentle, kind voice that ranges 4 octaves.

Andre Matos can soar at the highest ranges I have ever heard. He almost sounds like he should be doing opera.

Ted is great, I do feel he projects a lot of the emotion in Enchant and Enchant would not have their sound like it is if not for him. Although he does remind me of many singers, Steve Walsh, Doug Pinnick, James LaBrie, Paula Cole, at times, he still has his own signature style.

Kyle