What will replace CD's (not MP3)

I was just thinking we've had CD's for like 15 years now, and it seems like nothing will replace them. I know some will say MP3's and digital music, but I don't consider having an album on my hard-drive owning it. What do you think could possibly replace CD's? I don't know how much better quality you could really get, but maybe something smaller or less scratch-affected. It would be nice if CD players could fit in your pocket more easily, and not skip every time you bump a little bit.

well theres mini discs, but their to similar to CDs really...just smaller and recordable...and of course more expensive, so i doubt they catch on anymore than they already have...

mp3 payers tend to be to small (in terms of memory) or massively expensive, you can get a CD which can hold 700megs of mp3s and can be played on a special cd player, which is quite cool...but you'd still need to buy the orginal cd and then transfere it...(or otherwise steal the music)...you can buy mp3 albums on some websites, but i don't like the idea of just owning an album on mp3 (what if you HD crashes...and what about lyric sheets, cover art etc.)

DVD is just better CD, theres no point having CDs which can hold more because most albums can fit on one CD anyway (although maybe thats because of the physical limits of CDs in some way...all Opeths albums seem to go to the limit of how much you can fit on the cd, so maybe artists would make slightly longer albums if they had more space...although few would make 4 hour albums i'm sure....)

so i think whatever replaces CDs hasn't be invented yet...i think a) making them smaller b) improving quality c) increasing durablity d) increasing capacity e) decreased power usage; are the factors to be looked at (in that order more or less) and something would need a tick in pretty much all those colloums to replace CDs...who knows...maybe in 10 years all music will come on postage stamp sized microchips

DVD-Audio and Super-AudioCD are two new formats that are emerging. I don't know about SACD, but DVD-Audio support full Dolby Surround 5.1 and all that other technical stuff. Apparently the audio quality is noticeably better then traditional CD's. And it's not just like listening to a normal CD on a surround sound system either, because these DVD-Audio discs have been specifically recorded for digital surround sound systems/ formats.

yeah, mini disks are good, but i suppose other than that we might get some sort of small chip sorta thingy or something. the only thing about cds i hate is that they get scrathed, i dont mind the ones that dont effect the sound quality or anything its just those scrathes where they make the cd skip or not play the song :( , that will teach me to lend out cds :mad:

if cds are going to be replaced by something, I think it would be DVDs or somethin simular, and I sertenly dont think it wil be on something smaller, 'cuz that wil destray it all! u cant have a really great cover with alot of great artwork on it on a mini-disc sized cover, en sertenly not on a smaller one!
That is why th LP is so great, u get a much biger picture and can see more of the detials(htat cant be spelled right?) :D

Originally posted by HellSpawn
if cds are going to be replaced by something, I think it would be DVDs or somethin simular, and I sertenly dont think it wil be on something smaller, 'cuz that wil destray it all! u cant have a really great cover with alot of great artwork on it on a mini-disc sized cover, en sertenly not on a smaller one!
That is why th LP is so great, u get a much biger picture and can see more of the detials(htat cant be spelled right?) :D

well, DVD's aren't in smaller cases, im sure a smaller cd thingy could fit in something like that, and a bigger booklet would fit too :)

I would say something in the digital arena. Like transparent said - a digital chip maybe - right now, they have the "hard-drive" players that hold the large amount of music. Also, I can see these players of the future having a color display screen, which would mean all the cover art and stuff that comes with the CD's could be displayed, and maybe even more - like high quality videos to carry around. I still see technology with an infinite future - things that are amazing seem to happen everyday.

MP3's are a start, but they are just deploying players that can hold 100's of hours of music. For rasons mentioned before - I eventually think will will be digital - nothing to scratch, nothing to skip, easier to move between songs, and I like the thought of my entire CD collection fitting in my pocket.

There are plenty of purists who still hang onto LP's, thus, in x-years from now, CD's will still be around. But as technological advances occur, and the digital format evolves - there are way too many positives to ignore it.

I would be very happy if CDs were replaced with something that doesn't have to be moved (spinned) to be read. The chips idea sounds nice. There can be flash-memory chips sold with preburned albums on them.

Here are other technologies that are under development now:

* Flurocentic discs - Discs that are made of some flurocentic (i don't know the exact spelling of the word) material. Writing is preformed by changing the brightness of a spot on a certin level. The predicted amount of data on a CD-sized disc is somewhere between 10TB to 100TB (Terabyte - 1 TB = 1024GB. 1GB = 1024MB). That means music albums can be sold on flurocentic discs of much much smaller size. This technology was invented by a Romanian scientist, and is under development. Lately it was reported that a prototype of a reader for a PC (simillir to the CD-ROM device) to this technology was created successfully.

* Hollogram-based storage media - Those are to be box-shaped plastic medias, which are based on the 3d hollogram technology. It's capacity is expected to be huge. I don't know how will it eventually look like, but i think that a 1x1x1 cm cube of this media can hold several albums (maybe much more, i don't remember the exact details of this technology). A great upside to this technology is that the reader doesn't have to move.

Originally posted by The Death
I would be very happy if CDs were replaced with something that doesn't have to be moved (spinned) to be read. The chips idea sounds nice. There can be flash-memory chips sold with preburned albums on them.

Here are other technologies that are under development now:

* Flurocentic discs - Discs that are made of some flurocentic (i don't know the exact spelling of the word) material. Writing is preformed by changing the brightness of a spot on a certin level. The predicted amount of data on a CD-sized disc is somewhere between 10TB to 100TB (Terabyte - 1 TB = 1024GB. 1GB = 1024MB). That means music albums can be sold on flurocentic discs of much much smaller size. This technology was invented by a Romanian scientist, and is under development. Lately it was reported that a prototype of a reader for a PC (simillir to the CD-ROM device) to this technology was created successfully.

* Hollogram-based storage media - Those are to be box-shaped plastic medias, which are based on the 3d hollogram technology. It's capacity is expected to be huge. I don't know how will it eventually look like, but i think that a 1x1x1 cm cube of this media can hold several albums (maybe much more, i don't remember the exact details of this technology). A great upside to this technology is that the reader doesn't have to move.

wow, they sound great. but by the time those things catch on, what with buying a new hi-fi etc it wont mean too much to us.

Yeah, I'm sure it will never get to the point when you can't get cd players etc. because they are so popular now. I must say the MP3 players with 6Gb memories are amazing :D and u can now get cd players which play data cds which is cool (as I have about 40). But I don't think CD's will ever get totally redundant

I do not fully agree with you guys. Look at the history - vinil records (yup, the old big black things) are almost dead nowdays. Also cassettes (not the cassettes you buy empty and record on. Cassettes of albums) - when was the last time you bought one of those?

Originally posted by The Death
I do not fully agree with you guys. Look at the history - vinil records (yup, the old big black things) are almost dead nowdays. Also cassettes (not the cassettes you buy empty and record on. Cassettes of albums) - when was the last time you bought one of those?

But there's a difference - those were analogue and as u listened to them the quality went down, so u had to buy more ones. Unless u scratch a cd that doesn't apply

You point at one downside of cassettes and records, and in the future people will point on other downsides that were found in CDs and compare those with their new media. They might point that a CD is relativly big (compared to MiniDisc, chips, etc.), scratchable, not very strong (breakable, unlike chips, for example), has to be spinned to be read (what drives jumps and delays when playing CDs, unless using an AntiShock system, which consumes much more battery), can hold "only" 650 - 800 MB, and more.

It is not that wanting to have a media that maintain it's quallity for a long time is the only thing that drives the invention of new technologies. It is our (humans) prime desire to improve the existing and invent new and better.

Quite true, but as cds don't deteriorate in sounds, people will continue listening to them long after new audio systems have come out, just because it is so expensive to buy new versions of all ur cds in the other format, so there will always be a market for cds :loco:
And I hate to point this out, but I've had a sony discman for nearly a year now with something called g force, while i've had it i've jogged with it and dropped it while listening and it's never skipped. Also the battery life is 3 hours longer when the antishock is turned on :rolleyes:
It is also true we want to improve things but when it comes to having to spend a lot of money just to get new cds oin a "better" format, I doubt people would bother. So while mayb people would stop selling cds, I'm sure that cd players will be around for a very long time (just like record players are still around)