Will Opeth Be Remembered?

Originally posted by frayededges
My thoughts exactly. Who cares if they achieve "creed" status? Honestly, I hope they don't - not because I don't want them to succeed, bloody hell, they deserve all the success in the world... but because I don't want them to become something that the idiot masses take hold of, adulate, and then throw away. They are SO FAR BEYOND THAT, it's unimaginable to me.

yup. you fucking elitist selfish bastard........sorry i was just mocking some people. I fully agree with you.

I just think they're so good that people should remember them, you know? I guess it would be cool if they just dissapeared like a ghost and all the Opeth fans have that memory...as if actually seeing a ghost and telling others and having them scratch their heads. But it bugs me when I see Fred Durst go up on stage and the crowd treats him like a big shot...or Korn walking around like they're the sh*t. That should be Opeth!

Fred Durst is treated like a big shot because the masses need dumbed-down music. Opeth is way too much for the masses to handle. I know, I blast Opeth at work and it just doesn't sink in. It's like they can't even register it. Don't feel bad for Opeth because they don't get the recognition we all on some level may feel they deserve, because if Opeth wanted that recognition they'd play what it takes to get it. They'll be legends alright. King Crimson are legends, but if I ask your average mallcore fan who King Crimson is they'd probably not have a clue what I was talking about. Fuck the masses. What's so great about popularity? The masses just do what they're told anyway.

Tool fans would know what King Crimson is...well the more studied up ones...as Tool has said that KC is one of their main influences.

The really fascinating thing though, is that most Tool fans haven't even listened to King Crimson much, and yet they go on and on about as if they have heard it...just because Tool said it's an influence.

Sheesh.

static you definitely got a point.
I wonder how many of em Papa Roach fans are really digging out Faith No More. Or Sum41-fans whore listening to Maiden.
Even worser, if they are listening to good ol' metallica. really frightening in fact.

Opeth and Devin Townsend have huge potential to become bigger in the music world, but honestly i don't care. It would benice for the artists to get the cash THEY DESERVE instead of some musical retard like Avril Lavigne, But i will remember them for the rest of my life and pass it down to my children (if i ever actually do hav kids) friends, family. And maybe they can be enriched as i am.

I'll always remember Opeth. Even when their dried up crones doing remasters and 'best o'f albums.

I don't want to sound like a gushing fanboy or anything, but how could I forget Opeth, after they've given me so much awesome music.

Originally posted by Static
Tool fans would know what King Crimson is...well the more studied up ones...as Tool has said that KC is one of their main influences.

The really fascinating thing though, is that most Tool fans haven't even listened to King Crimson much, and yet they go on and on about as if they have heard it...just because Tool said it's an influence.

Sheesh.
Isn't this kind of similar to Opeth and Camel? Okay, I only know two others who listens to Opeth (and both are because I played them for them - one has two cd's and the other has one record that he probably played twice or something) and I don't think they particularly care for Camel. I must admit that the reason why I first bought a Camel record was because Opeth was inspired by them, but I don't see many similarities between them. I'm also into Yes and other stuff like that (Iron Butterfly, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Nice, etc.), so it's not like I only listen to Camel because Opeth does. I don't see why I should do either. I know John Barry, who's one of my biggest idols, was inspired by some particular jazz guys and classical stuff, but that doesn't make me go out and buy their stuff. I just listen to his music. If I hear their stuff and like it, I'll of course buy it though.

Originally posted by Board
Isn't this kind of similar to Opeth and Camel? Okay, I only know two others who listens to Opeth and I don't think they particularly care for Camel. I must admit that the reason why I first bought a Camel record was because Opeth was inspired by them, but I don't see many similarities between them. I'm also into Yes and other stuff like that (Iron Butterfly, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Nice, etc.), so it's not like I only listen to Camel because Opeth does.
I also first bought a Camel CD because of their influence on Opeth, or at least Mikael Akerfeldt in particular. I'd never heard of them before, but I was pleasantly surprised and quite enjoyed their sound. I now own several of their albums.

As far as Camel's influence on Opeth goes, I do hear certain aspects of Camel that could be the basis for inspiration; but I never really gave it much thought because it's from a totally different time period and musical age. I appreciate the band because they made great music, and I'm thankful to Opeth for opening up another level for me in the musical experience. Otherwise, who knows if I'd have ever heard them?

Same thing happened with Porcupine Tree, I checked them out because of their connection to Opeth, and now enjoy their music on its own merit.

Man, I love musical discovery.

Opeth will be remembered like gods! Even if they release a bad album, they will still be remembered. The music that they've done so far is enough to make them legends.