Opeth = Mainstream, get use to it !

Opeth is not mainstream, but if you start digging for non-mainstream music and look towards metal Opeth is one of the first bands you will come across. They're well-known in the non-mainstream metal world.

no no ! but you know what happen to bands who went mainstream don't you? It just has effects on everyone in different scales... although I believe Opeth won't be like that... but who fucking knows.

no, what happens to them? what's the problem with making music which people like? I did like the first records by Kiss and Deep Purple more than the latter ones, but that doesn't mean all bands become useless once they become well known. I can still list a kazillion bands which have become better :lol:

Opeth is one!

FLAME MEH NOW.

no, what happens to them? what's the problem with making music which people like? I did like the first records by Kiss and Deep Purple more than the latter ones, but that doesn't mean all bands become useless once they become well known. I can still list a kazillion bands which have become better :lol:

Opeth is one!

FLAME MEH NOW.

A lost of pressure on them, so the music won't come out as natural as it is right now.. I believe that any person who becomes well known, their personality changes, imagine you were a regular person, and then progressively everyone knows you in the city !! even in their personal life, see what happened to M.Jackson or any popular artist, their life changes and they won't even enjoy their everyday life. I'm not concerned about it but i just don't like it cuz it might affect the (maybe only) music that i enjoy, so yeah, it affects me to some extent !
what do you mean by Opeth is one? i shouldn't use "they" to refer to them? :rofl:

MikaelfirstIwaslike.jpg

[/end of thread

If Opeth made it to some charts globally, we can't simply talk about a popular band. Their sales numbers have never been that high when compared to your average pop artist. Furthermore, many bands in the 70s who used to be artistically complex sold millions of albums. Being a convinsing and musically challenging band doesn't fortunately go hand in hand with popularity. Even if it might seem so.

Speaking of Opeth's record sales, can anyone tell me what their sales are? I have searched the internets and all I can find is old numbers. And I am sure this question has been asked a million times, so feel free to flame me if you want.

Speaking of record sales and all, and I know this isn't exactly on topic, but does anyone have any idea on how all the guys in the band are paid? Do you guys think that Mikael gets paid any more than the rest of the guys? Or would it all be spread out evenly? I would assume that this is one of the parts of being in a professional band that could create extreme tensity. Whether or not the answer is obvious, I have no idea and I've always wondered about the business side of being in a band.

Speaking of record sales and all, and I know this isn't exactly on topic, but does anyone have any idea on how all the guys in the band are paid? Do you guys think that Mikael gets paid any more than the rest of the guys? Or would it all be spread out evenly? I would assume that this is one of the parts of being in a professional band that could create extreme tensity. Whether or not the answer is obvious, I have no idea and I've always wondered about the business side of being in a band.

"Many of you see Opeth as a big band. Yet we're only just making enough money to support ourselves. We get a monthly wage of £1200, 1 annual bonus of maybe £3000 but that's it. Personally I also get STIM which is mechanical royalties (writing songs and lyrics) so I'm better off financially than the other guys in the band."

"Many of you see Opeth as a big band. Yet we're only just making enough money to support ourselves. We get a monthly wage of £1200, 1 annual bonus of maybe £3000 but that's it. Personally I also get STIM which is mechanical royalties (writing songs and lyrics) so I'm better off financially than the other guys in the band."

Oh wow, do you have any idea when this quote is from? It wouldn't surprise me if this was like pre-Ghost Reveries or something.

Oh wow, do you have any idea when this quote is from? It wouldn't surprise me if this was like pre-Ghost Reveries or something.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8434576 said:
I can't really lecture anyone on the subject of illegal downloading as I'm simply from the wrong generation. People download music because it's for free, that must be the main reason. Generally I don't think anyone spend any time thinking about how it effect the bands, the record labels with its employees (big and small), record stores, warehouse employees, regular people just like you and me.

Ultimately it will affect the music industry in a devastaing way I think. Bands will split up since they simply won't be able to afford keeping the band going. Record labels will fold, new artists won't get signed since the risk of investing in unknowns is too big. All YOUR chances of "making it" with your bands are fading with each new download as it is now.

Many of you see Opeth as a big band. Yet we're only just making enough money to support ourselves. We get a monthly wage of £1200, 1 annual bonus of maybe £3000 but that's it. Personally I also get STIM which is mechanical royalties (writing songs and lyrics) so I'm better off financially than the other guys in the band.

We're hardly living it large. Every tour we do is expected to be a loss, we're lucky if we break even, we're beyond happy if we turn it into a profit.

Record sales don't generate much money at all these days, so in order to be able to keep it going, we need to tour all the time. Many tours (not ours anymore) are funded by record labels, but this is only a loan. Ultimately, most bands are still hugely in debt to their labels after a 10-15 year career.

As a financial career, having a band is a lousy idea to be honest. It's very frustrating sometimes. I spent around the first 10 years of the band in without a penny in my pocket. That was even before downloading started going wild.

There's only one reason I managed to keep my head cool during all these years, and that's because I love music so much. I'd make more money, way more in fact, being a plumber.

Yet, I don't regret anything and I don't want this to come across as complaints. I'm a lucky bastard and I love what we do. But unless you're in the biz yourself, your idea on how it "works" are just empty speculations.

Most of your favourite bands are clutching at straws in order to keep it together, believe me. Support them if you still want them around. Yes, it's that bad.

How about that little sunny jolly message?
Cheers
Mike
here you go

my closest neighbor won 14 milion KR the other day.. that's.. like.. $1700000. I guess gambling > becoming a well know musician :lol:

wow, win money whit a band is a lot more harder than i through :ill:

That's the truth of the music scene - for each band that showers with 40 year old Laphroaig, lights their cuban cigars with 100 Euro notes in between doing lines of coke off a hooker's asscrack, there's a thousand that barely make a living.

I guess theyd get some freebies from sponsors though, so they might not have to worry about instruments and shit.

ABBA have sold over 400 million albums, which could be compared to one of the biggest bands of the metal scene, In Flames. they have sold.. 2 million albums.

even this guy has sold more albums than In Flames :lol:

41QC22P1W2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

so it's not that you can't make gold of music, the problem is that you can't make money of metal.

ABBA have sold over 400 million albums, which could be compared to one of the biggest bands of the metal scene, In Flames. they have sold.. 2 million albums.

even this guy has sold more albums than In Flames :lol:

41QC22P1W2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

so it's not that you can't make gold of music, the problem is that you can't make money of metal.

"They remain a fixture of radio playlists and are one of the world's best selling bands, having sold over 200 million records world wide"

/wikipedia